Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New member introduction  (Read 856 times)

Sugarant

New member introduction
« on: June 17, 2024, 01:25:17 PM »

Hi everyone, glad to have found this forum. I was on the Balance app for ages but it seemed impossible to search for information or connect with others so am thrilled to have found Menopause Matters and how much information it includes.

I went through menopause 4 years ago at the age of 41, seemingly overnight. It took some blood tests to confirm but a few months later, I was put on combined HRT, with estrogen patches and progesterone. I'm currently on 150 Estradot patches and 2 x Utrogestan but after I started to bleed, my consultant has now prescribed me Slynd in place of the Utrogestan. I'm nervous about taking it though.

When I first went through menopause, I had terrible hair loss, hot flushes, night sweats, sleeplessness and brain fog, plus some weight gain. After starting HRT, everything except the hair loss improved, but that's at least now stabilised. It's taken me a lot of time to adjust to my post-menopausal reality, as I thought I'd have a long time to go through the process, but I've definitely come to terms with it now and sometimes even wonder if I was lucky to come out the other side so quickly. Looking forward to learning from others on here and finding out the information that still seems really hard to come by!

Thanks all - looking forward to getting to know people.  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New member introduction
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2024, 01:30:18 PM »

:welcomemm:  browse round.  Make notes ;-).

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2024, 04:16:14 PM »

Hi.
Welcome to the forum.
Anything you want to know, just ask, someone will reply.

Xx

PennyD

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2024, 12:19:28 AM »

Hi and welcome! I’m currently on Slynd, it works really well for me. Hope you’re doing ok with it. If you don’t mind me asking, what amount of Oestrogen do you take with the 4mg Slynd pill? My doc has increased my oestrogen patch but I’m just a bit concerned that the prog now won’t be enough.

PD x

Sugarant

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2024, 05:47:20 PM »

Hi everyone, thanks for the welcome. Can't believe how much I've learned from this forum already!

@PennyD - I'm now on 150 Estradot (100 + 50 patch). I was on 100 Evorel patch + 2 x utrogestan for about two years, which worked really well for me and I felt great on it, but my consultant decided to increase my estrogen after a blood test. Then I started to bleed constantly and it lasted for months so she's now switched me to 4mg Slynd instead of the utrogestran. What dose estrogen are you on? I've only just started taking the Slynd because I was nervous about all the reports of hair loss in people using it as birth control, so I can't report on how effective it is yet. Can I ask whether you've had any hair loss on it, or has it been okay for you?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 10:34:13 AM by Sugarant »

PennyD

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2024, 01:35:03 PM »

Hi Sugarant,

Nice to speak to someone else on Slynd, we are few and far between I think! I was on 50 mcg and have now increased by only 12.5 (half a 25 patch, very fiddly to do) I've been on drospirenone as a progesterone for birth control for years, in Yasmin, then Eloine. When it was essential for me to move onto HRT  at 45 (I had recurrent urine infections, pain, atrophy, anxiety, all the good ones) I tried a few progesterones and was intolerant to them all (much like my experience going onto birth control years ago). When Slynd became available I was really pleased and started on it right away with great success. I've had no problem whatsoever with hair loss. If anything my hair and skin are better whilst taking it. Because it's anti androgenic it's supposed to be kinder to skin, not sure if this applies also to hair. One the whole, women reporting this seem to be those using it solely for birth control, so the estrogen addition must be a factor. Hope you're getting on good with it.