Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Newbie and psychosis  (Read 1111 times)

Sparkle1977

• First Flush
Newbie and psychosis
« on: June 17, 2024, 12:47:52 PM »

Hi,
I am new to HRT, only been using Everol 50 for 6 days now.  I’m 47. Prior to starting HRT I was having migraines almost on a daily basis, along with hot flashes and insomnia, more so the last year.  As I had a mirena cool my GP was reluctant to start me on anything.
It wasn’t until I started having psychosis. Whereby I believed my husband was having an affair. I was starting to hear voices (my own) but they convinced me that he was having this affair and that I should confront him.  I then started having intrusive thoughts and at 4am last week I wanted to get in my car, but I reached out to a work colleague who was amazing. I then spoke with my husband and then the GP. All very scary!
The past week has been full of ups and downs.  My migraines are still there along with a new one of acid reflux! Only at night, just as I’m about to fall asleep. It’s very painful and for the last 4 nights it’s keeping me from getting to sleep.
Has anyone experienced any of this, any tips or words of advice. How long did it take to settle? Did the mental health aspects resolve?
I just want to feel normal and get back to being me.
Thank you all for reading.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newbie and psychosis
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2024, 01:29:33 PM »

Dr Kathleen Dalton did a lot of research in the 1970s/80s about how pre-menstrual syndrome can affect girls - she represented a few in Court when necessary.  NAPS. - The National Association for Pre-menstrual Syndrome.

It is absolutely possible that hormonal upheaval can cause the symptoms you describe.  How have you been during your menstruating years?  R your periods regular with 'normal' symptoms for you?  PMT should stop once the bleed began.

Your GP is so out of date!   :welcomemm: to the World of some GPs/Prescribers not knowing an awful lot about how hormones can cause problems nor do they realise the avialble and different delivery systems of the various replacement therapies.  It's in the name 'replacement'  ::)

Acid reflux is common.  As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains including hiatus hernia.  What have U tried to ease symptoms?  For. years I managed with 'Rennies' and/or Milk of Magnesium liquid.  Due to an irritating continual cough my GP prescribed Omeprazolol which I take in the morning to layer the digestive tract.  Coke for example made that cough worse!

How R. your migraines managed?

Minusminnie

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2024, 01:51:43 PM »

Could I ask what your gp has said re the psychosis ?

joziel

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2024, 05:07:41 PM »

I'm so glad you're on HRT now.

I'm observing on a locked psych ward at the moment (part of further training for my job) and the number of 45-55 year old women coming in with anxiety, depression and psychosis is staggering. I keep casually mentioning HRT to the psychiatrists whenever I can but I feel like they just don't get it and don't have the confidence to prescribe it. (Yet weirdly are very happy prescribing all kinds of terrifying psych meds and even ECT!!) Finally some young female psychiatrist heard me and assured me she would look into HRT for this poor woman.

But really... This is A HUGE SOCIETAL INJUSTICE and it is OUTRAGEOUS and we should be ON THE STREETS PROTESTING because the female body and mind is not understood....

Loulou08

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2024, 06:05:28 PM »

Before I started hrt everol conti patches to start, I had reached the point where I was suicidal. I have a history of manic depression and assumed I was heading to a breakdown. My friends advised me to go to Dr. He was very kind and clued up. After 2 days of being on patches I felt far better. After approximately 6 months I felt as if it wasn't working. Symptoms coming back. I revisited Dr who prescribed oestrogel 2 pumps. This has been fine. Don't take no for an answer and seek help sooner rather than later. X

Minusminnie

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2024, 06:57:36 PM »

Hrt can be part of the picture through peri/menopause but not to rule out psychiatric drugs alongside.

Moog77

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2024, 07:39:04 PM »

I don't think anyone should minimise the impact Hormones can have on your mental health.

This thread is very important as I don't think it's talked about enough. The sui*cide numbers for woman in the prime age range 45 - 55 (I think) is second only to young males. That is a terrifying statistic.

Having witnessed my own mums mental health through peri and menopause I'll be damned if I'm going through the same experience. She was diagnosed with depression and anxiety from around 45 onwards. Then as soon as she hit 51 she was now 'menopausal' purely because her periods were completely erratic by then and the GP happened to take 2 blood tests 3 months apart. HRT was a godsend for her but due to the concerns back then she was only 'allowed' to be on it for 2 years. Never really been right since. Funnily enough she somehow wasn't depressed whilst on HRT. Shocker!!

So many people are being failed. There was a story about this very subject on This Morning last week. GPs will dole out antidepressants like they are sweeties but the struggle for some to get adequate HRT treatment is beyond shocking.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2024, 07:42:17 PM by Moog77 »

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2024, 10:00:41 PM »

Do read Dr Kath Dalton's research from the early 1980s, The National Association for Pre-menstrual Syndrome [NAPS]. 

Jules

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2024, 04:48:39 PM »

Omeprazole does not layer the digestive tract. It inhibits the production of acid.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2024, 08:07:21 AM »

joziel - good luck with that.  My sister is a psychiatric Nurse who trained in the 1970s.   I am agast that ECT can be administered without consent, at least these days the patient is sedated I believe?  Unlike when Dad underwent the procedures which did absolutely nowt  :'(

Hormones can certainly impact the brain!  Let us know how you get on.

joziel

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2024, 03:03:43 PM »

Patient is under GA for ECT. Seems barbaric to me...

Not sure if it is done without consent but there is some quite heavy persuasion going on, with easily influenced people in vulnerable situations.

Minusminnie

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2024, 03:32:27 PM »

Patient is under GA for ECT. Seems barbaric to me...

Not sure if it is done without consent but there is some quite heavy persuasion going on, with easily influenced people in vulnerable situations.

I thought ECT was used as a last resort & is similar to sectioning in that someone is too unwell to consent.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2024, 03:52:58 PM »

ECT is in my opinion very old fashioned way of treatment.  Should never be used without consent, regardless of the mind set of the patient.  The idea being is that the shock takes away past memories ......... which may/not be influencing the patients depressive illness.  My Dad would be dazed for 2 days after.  In the 1960s/70s I believe that two Social workers and/or Social Worker with a psychiatric Nurse was able to Section a patient, which usually lasts for a month.  Every month after, a Court Order has to be applied for which takes time and money. 

I knew a lady in the 1980s who was mute due to depression, so ill that she was unable to communicate  :'(.  Her brain was screaming 'no' but ECT was applied without her consent.  The Staff didn't listen to her husband and son who asked that she be treated with medication until she could agree to ECT  :'(

Sorry. Off topic.  I remember how ratty I would get prior to my period  >:(.  Fly off the handle without warning  :o

Sparkle: how R U today?

joziel

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2024, 09:50:59 PM »

Yes, but asking someone who is writhing in their bed on an inpatient ward, dosed up on many different psych meds and being advised by doctors for 'consent' is not really 'consent' as we know it...

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2024, 07:14:10 AM »

That's correct.   :'(

Pages: [1] 2