Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Covering my back!  (Read 1709 times)

Ayesha

Covering my back!
« on: June 17, 2024, 09:52:37 AM »

Does anyone know when you pick up your repeat prescription if the pharmacist keeps a record of what exactly is handed over to you?
For example I had a message from the surgery to say that I had received 3 months supply of Vagifem when in fact I only ever have ordered the one box each month.
I am only asking this in case I have to prove a point and not to be made out a thief, I will pop into the pharmacy to check with them but wondered if any of you ladies might know more of how the system works. 

aj1971

Re: Covering my back!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2024, 10:20:39 AM »

Hi! My pharmacist keeps a record of what is handed over, and has sometimes picked up on discrepancies from the surgery. For example, he noticed that the surgery was wrong about how long a bottle of oestrogel should last at my prescribed dose (the surgery was saying it should last a month longer than it does  - and was essentially accusing me of over-ordering it - so that really helped me out!).

fiftyplus

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2024, 11:09:44 AM »

My GP also thinks 1 box of 24 should last 3 months/12 weeks - as she said to me if you have already done the loading dose (every night for 2 weeks) which I had on my previous box then every box thereafter: 2twice a week x 12 weeks = 24 in box

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2024, 11:55:32 AM »

Yes.  Repeat prescriptions are checked against what has been ordered previously.  If I over order by mistake I am told when I pick up the supply.  When I'm going away I always ask for 'double' or what ever I require to tide me over.

Ayesha

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2024, 04:00:26 PM »

Thanks for that, ladies, it's good there is a paper chase and it can be confirmed what has been handed over to me.
When I ordered my usual monthly prescription of vagifem and was told about the three months supply I was supposed to have had, I could tell by the message left for me it was given with great reluctance and the fact I needed to book an appointment for a review, hmm!

I will reserve judgment until then and report back!

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2024, 04:03:58 PM »

I'm only allowed one box every three months. There are 24 in a box so that works out right according the guidelines but we all know for some this isn't enough. Does it come in smaller amounts i.e. 8 a month?

Taz x

Ayesha

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2024, 07:30:51 PM »

Who knows how these things are supposed to work, we are all piggy's in the middle of all this.
I believe the box contains 24 pessaries, same when you buy Gina, both packaged exactly the same and I don't think, like other meds, these can be split.

My previous GP prescribed one pessary to be used every day, lets see what this new surgery says about such a dose!

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2024, 07:20:45 AM »

The guidelines are two pessaries a week after initial loading so one box every three months would work out right. For years I was offered a box a month but around eighteen months ago it changed to one box every twelve weeks. I think some on here have managed to get their doctor to go against the standard prescribing guidelines so fingers crossed for you

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2024, 07:45:05 AM »

That's awfully draconian Taz.  Especially for those that require 'vagifem' nightly  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2024, 07:45:20 AM »

Also the guidelines are out of date!

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2024, 10:42:56 AM »

Also the guidelines are out of date!

My GP referred to this updated guideline - I must admit I didn't push for it myself as the two a week regime works for me but I am also on Evorel 50 patches too. I'm sure that two pessaries a week if I was not using Evorel wouldn't be enough! https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/incontinence-urinary-in-women/prescribing-information/intravaginal-oestrogen/

Taz x

Ayesha

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2024, 01:30:04 PM »

At my review yesterday I mentioned about the three boxes I was supposed to have got in May and it was a relief to get that mistake cleared up.
The nurse then said she was going to talk to the doctor to get my vagifem on a three monthly prescription as it was pointless me having to order every month when my condition is for life.
I am on topical oestrogen only and I think if systemic HRT is also prescribed, that's when it has to be assessed more regarding quantities, two pessaries for me is completely ineffective, I have to have six or seven and no less. 

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2024, 01:37:37 PM »

That sounds like a supportive review?  Let us know how you get on.  I've always had 2/3 boxes each time [ovestin].  Not on any other HRT. 

Ayesha

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2024, 09:52:14 PM »

My GP referred to this updated guideline - I must admit I didn't push for it myself as the two a week regime works for me but I am also on Evorel 50 patches too. I'm sure that two pessaries a week if I was not using Evorel wouldn't be enough! https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/incontinence-urinary-in-women/prescribing-information/intravaginal-oestrogen/

Taz x

I've read this link and it doesn't make sense from what I have been hearing and reading about the use of topical oestrogens such as Vagifem and Estriol, and not forgetting these treatments can now be bought over the counter. No, its nonsense and annoying that this GP is referring to this 'outdated' study/report.

A good place to copy this link:

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69936.0.html

« Last Edit: June 22, 2024, 08:17:36 AM by Ayesha »