Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Lightheadedness  (Read 527 times)

CrispyChick

Lightheadedness
« on: June 18, 2024, 10:08:39 AM »

Is it normal to feel like I'm about to pass out in peri.

Im pre period. Had intense heat this morning, then nearly passed out 3 times during an appointment.

This is horrific.

Mariab

Re: Lightheadedness
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2024, 01:59:22 PM »

Hi yes, I have dizzy/faint spells , I nearly passed out at a theme park this weekend..ots very scary and unsettling, which inturn causes anxiety

CrispyChick

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2024, 02:18:49 PM »

Oh. It's awful. I feel so bad all the time, but the nearly fainting - for no reason - was a trump card today!!!!

Asher

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2024, 06:49:22 PM »

Hi crispychick, yes me too had the most horrendous lightheaded feeling in peri and I often felt like I was going to pass out very distressing it caused hideous health anxiety for me to the point I couldn’t leave the house for fear of fainting.
I still get it and I’m post menopause now , but not as bad as it was I started taking sturgeon tablets recommended to me by a member on here and it’s definitely helped not cured it , but it’s much more mild when it does strike for me it comes in phases and can last month’s then just disappears.
Don’t have any words of wisdom only a lot of empathy because I know the hell you are in , hrt has never helped me much either with symptoms .
Really hope you get some much needed relief soon.

CrispyChick

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2024, 07:14:39 PM »

Thank you Asher.

Although I'm not sure I am keen to hear it continues post meno  ::)

Ah sturgeon. I have that. I was kind of taking it for motion sickness off and on. Never thought of taking it for the lightheadedness.

Can I ask what dose you take? Do you take it all the time or just when you have a flair?

I do find even a children's dose quite sedating. 😬 X

Asher

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2024, 07:45:33 PM »

I got it prescribed off my doctor and he told me to take 15mg 3 times a day but I know you can buy it over the counter and dosage may be different.
I only take it twice a day because it is quite sedating but after a few days I don’t find it so sedating, my GP would only give me one months worth because he said I can’t take it continuously but can have a months course when needed but would need to have a break from it in between courses I didn’t think to ask him why maybe it loses its effects if taken constantly.
But it’s certainly helped with that terrible fainting lightheaded feeling, it’s also helped with the strange jittery anxiety feeling too, not a complete cure but sure takes the worst of it away.
Sorry to say I’m still getting it post meno I know that’s something you were probably hoping doesn’t happen, I was too .
had an early menopause peri from hell and I too was hoping this would all be over now , I’m 50 and been on and off with this since 35 but it’s definitely not as bad now as it was in peri , I might be an odd case that is still having symptoms post meno , I’ve been reducing my hrt because I believe somehow it’s holding me in some type of peri state , so far the slow reduction is absolutely making me feel better than I was , don’t think my body likes hormones odd but it’s the only conclusion I come too.
Hope the tablets help you with this horrible feeling.

bombsh3ll

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2024, 07:55:57 PM »

I live with dysautonomia as a result of a brain injury when I was 34, so presyncope and fainting is a daily occurrence for me. I am lucky enough to be able to walk, briskly not slowly, but will never be able to stand in one place for more than a few seconds without fainting.

My situation isn't typical and I have a pacemaker and take fludrocortisone to support my blood pressure, but as well as these I am also on continuous COCP for menstrual suppression and also dhea for androgen replacement.

Taking the combined pill continuously completely gets rid of your cycle so is brilliant for cyclical symptoms - when I lost access to my pill during the pandemic I was definitely more syncopal around my periods.

Androgens also help - there are some small studies in transgender adolescents with dysautonomia, and of course men faint less than women generally.

There is a doctor called Zoe hodson on YouTube who speaks about her own experience with lightheadedness and taking testosterone.

CrispyChick

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2024, 08:03:29 PM »

Thanks do much Asher. That's great.

I do have an old prescription for cinnarizine and had recently bought some sturgeon. My old prescription said 2x15mg 3 times a day. There is no way!!! So I'm interested to hear you were told 15mg 3 times a day.

Ok. So you get used to the sedation within a few days and take a month at a time?

Righto. I'll maybe try that. Do u take morn and night?

And do you find it takes a few days to build up and start helping???

I'm sorry your still going through all this post meno. I absolutely long to help post meno. My peri has been pure hell and it's suddenly decided to add some more oomph!

Interesting what you say about you'd body not liking hormones. Mine really doesn't like the ones I produce.  :o Glad you're feeling a bit better on a reduction. X

CrispyChick

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2024, 08:07:12 PM »

Wow bombshell - that's on another level! I'm glad you cope with it. X

In terms of combine pill - I was told to try them all by the meno clinic during COVID. I literally did try them all.

O my the higher dose ones took mg symptoms away, but majority gave me migraines. I finally settled on one, but unfortunately my symptoms started to break through. I'm saying that, break through would be preferable to how I am now, so I did try again recently....migraines and hellish poision from the estrogen. So I can no longer even get on a combined pill. Used to take them fine. So things have defo changed.

If I could, I would. X

CrispyChick

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2024, 08:10:10 PM »

Oh. And Asher - not to freak you out, but probably better to know, But I think the issue with cinnarizine/sturgeon is it is a leading cause of parkinsonism. So they limit the use.

Good to know your GP says a month is fine. 👍

Asher

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2024, 08:22:20 PM »

It did take a couple of days to build up but after about 3 days I noticed I wasn’t so lightheaded at work and the im gonna pass out feeling wasn’t happening which was such a relief because I feel so unsafe with that feeling.
The sedation wore off too, at first I just wanted to sleep but it definitely didn’t affect me like that after a few days .
Thanks for the explanation as to why they won’t prescribe it continuously.
I take one in the morning and one in the evening I just skip the afternoon one.

Fingers crossed for you , anything is worth a try when we are battling these horrible symptoms.

CrispyChick

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2024, 08:25:13 PM »

Thanks for that. Very helpful.

I'd just been taking it ad-hoc. I think I'll give if a proper shot. Much appreciated 👍

Asher

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2024, 09:08:19 PM »

You are very welcome, hope it works for you .