Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hello! I’m new! Perimenopause and Combined Pill  (Read 699 times)

born2misbehave

• First Flush
Hello! I’m new! Perimenopause and Combined Pill
« on: June 10, 2024, 01:59:08 PM »

Hi everyone, thanks very much for having me! I’m 42 and have been taking a combined pill called Yasmin for years. I have always found it suits me very well, but recently during my week pill break I have had some perimenopause symptoms such as super dry eyes (so bad I’ve had corneal abrasions from it and was referred to A&E the first time!), heavier and more clotty bleeding, low mood, night sweats etc.

I only have these symptoms during my week break and then for a few days after as my body waits for the hormone levels to go back up. I then have a lovely fortnight and a half with my pill before it all starts again. I’d love to be ‘level’ and to take the Yasmin continuously. I’ve read that this is possible and sometimes recommended for perimenopausal women. I have an appointment with my GP Friday to discuss it, but want to go as armed with info as possible!

Has anyone had a similar experience to me and swapping to continuous use instead of the 21 day pills/7 day break has helped them?

Thank you so much in advance xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello! I’m new! Perimenopause and Combined Pill
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2024, 03:12:36 PM »

:welcomemm: you'll fit right in  ;D

MayB if no one replies about it, put the product name into the search box and read the threads; make notes ;-). 

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out; nostrils, deep in the ears, eyes, skin, vagina ....... and muscles may become lax = aches and pains  ::)

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2024, 03:53:23 PM »

Let us know what you gp says? I suspect you can't  because it's the withdrawal of the progestogen that triggers a bleed so without the break your lining will build up.

CrispyChick

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2024, 04:00:48 PM »

I think they have come out and said it is fine to take combined pill continuously. But obviously check with GP.

What I will say is this -

At 41 all my troubles started and I wish I'd never gone off the pill. Never managed to get back on successfully now.

If Yasmin takes all your hormonal symptoms away - stay on it as long as you can. And if GP agrees take it continuously.

If I can save one person going through what I've been through these last 7 years - I will  :-*

Xx

born2misbehave

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2024, 04:57:13 PM »

Thanks so much everyone. Yes they changed their minds on this about five years ago - the NHS site now talks about taking it continuously as an option and it does mention perimenopause as a reason specifically. Apparently the lining doesn’t build up, it gets smaller over time or something

GraceM

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2024, 02:33:43 PM »

My 20 year old daughter started the pill and was told you can now take it continuously and that it was an old fashioned view that women had to have a monthly bleed.  She is now on Yasmin.  When I think back to when I was on the pill many years ago, I would be afraid I'd be struck down by lightening if I took 2 packs back to back  ;D

born2misbehave

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2024, 04:16:46 PM »

That’s good to know, thank you!! I’ve always thought the same, like it’s really wrong to take them back to back! I can’t believe I didn’t know they’d changed their advice on this. I really hope the GP gives me the go ahead to try taking it continuously when I see her on Friday

bombsh3ll

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2024, 06:20:25 PM »

There is absolutely no medical reason why women on the pill should be mandated to spend every fourth week bleeding or with other miserable symptoms.

The withdrawal bleeds were simply built in due to paternalistic beliefs about women wanting to have periods or thinking they were pregnant if they didn't.

I have been on it continuously for 15 years, no periods, no hormonal fluctuations, no perimenopause symptoms and love that it significantly reduces the risk of ovarian, endometrial and colorectal cancers.

born2misbehave

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2024, 11:53:19 AM »

Thank you everyone! Update from seeing the GP this morning - she was quite happy to prescribe my Yasmin continuously instead of taking a week’s break every fourth week so I’m quite pleased and really hope it helps with my symptoms I’ve been having on that week break, fingers crossed!

GraceM

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2024, 03:36:44 PM »

Thank you everyone! Update from seeing the GP this morning - she was quite happy to prescribe my Yasmin continuously instead of taking a week’s break every fourth week so I’m quite pleased and really hope it helps with my symptoms I’ve been having on that week break, fingers crossed!

That's good to hear.  Hope everything settles quickly for you.