Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Newly "diagnosed"  (Read 1377 times)

JS79

Re: Newly "diagnosed"
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2024, 11:40:49 AM »

I'm at the stage where I think some symptoms are peri, some may be something else like Fibro, ME, PoTS or PPPD and Al ot are exasperated by anxiety.
I work in a Hospital so have some medical knowledge plus OH is a paramedic, not sure if this is a good things some times

cbow111

• First Flush
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2024, 11:53:58 AM »

This broke my heart and I’m sending so many virtual hugs.

I’m 47 and thought I had early onset Alzheimer’s. My vision was also blurring, and despite having an English degree I couldn’t find words.

I forgot the word for analysis at work. I was just sat there saying ‘you know, when you look at data and think about it’

I got very low and I just don’t feel like there was any point in anything. I was just failing and I didn’t understand why.

The night I was in that place, I was scrolling through my recordings to find something to watch and found Davina McCalls ‘’Sex, Myths and the Menopause’. I watched it. It was me.

I then found my copy of her book (which I bought as it would be helpful in my mid fifties) and read it cover to cover.

I was incredibly lucky. I booked an emergency GP appointment the next morning.

My doctor was a fabulous 40 something who was very knowledgeable. She asked me about my symptoms and when I’d finished telling her, I burst in to tears and said ‘I’m just broken’.

Her response was ‘You are not broken, but at the moment your hormones are. This can be fixed and I’ll help you’

I was already taking Sertraline but that wasn’t even mentioned. I asked if she needed to take blood and she said it wasn’t necessary. She asked how much I knew about HRT so I reeled off all my research and said I thought patches might be the best.

I walked out with a prescription.

That was two months ago and I’m already feeling like I’m alive again.

I know how incredibly lucky I was but please don’t let any doctor try to minimise what you are going through or just throw antidepressants at you. This isn’t right and in most cases they don’t help.

Request a different GP and push for the care you deserve. I didn’t expect perimenopause or what it would do to my life. Women just aren’t educated and it’s appalling.

Also, take along a friend to see the GP with you. Just to help advocate for you. No, it shouldn’t be necessary but hopefully with enough of our voices one day this will change

Just stay strong. You aren’t broken, I promise. In fact, going through all you have, you are incredibly strong.

Never ever forget that xxx

JS79

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2024, 12:07:41 PM »

Thank you for those lovely words. I've seen 3 different GPs in person, but only 1 about perimenopause as they others were about possible MS and my stomach issues. I've spoke to another 2 on phone call consult. My neuro consult when ruling out MS based on MRI side my symptoms are very general and fit into a lot of conditions and sometimes you just never find out what causes them 😪
I've asked for another GP appt based on my A&E visit last night but doubt they will see me until bloods taken next week and by then my FIT test and helicobactor results should be back.

cbow111

• First Flush
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2024, 12:22:43 PM »

I meant all of those words!

And if this makes you giggle, I opened the conversation with my GO by stating

‘I think I’m in perimenopause. Or I’m going crazy. Or, according to Google, there are around 86 conditions I am dying from.

This may be a long appointment’  ;D

JS79

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2024, 12:34:49 PM »

🤣🤣🤣
 I always make a point of saying that I know my anxiety is making things worse just so they know I'm reasonable and well aware of the part anxiety is playing but it does help that I say where I work and what I do as I feel they take me more seriously.
I have to keep reminding myself that for 6months I've had these feelings and nothing bad has happened but then I fear that I become complacent when something is seriously wrong.
Problem with Google is you can fit your symptoms into most conditions if yiu search it in certain ways.

bombsh3ll

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2024, 02:50:35 PM »

Having anxiety doesn't mean you don't deserve to have your perimenopause related symptoms treated.

Instead of diagnosing yourself with an encyclopedia of disparate conditions, why not just start by getting your hormones in order and then see what's left?

All or most of this could potentially either resolve or significantly improve, and then you can focus on anything that doesn't with more clarity.

I'm 44 and I have several friends the same age and my sister in law all riding a similar medical merry go round to you - cardiologists for palpitations, MRI scans for neurology issues, GP on speed dial, all tests coming back negative, some now on antidepressants and yet none of them is addressing the perimenopause shaped elephant in the room.

Jules

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2024, 03:02:52 PM »

🤣🤣🤣
 I always make a point of saying that I know my anxiety is making things worse just so they know I'm reasonable and well aware of the part anxiety is playing but it does help that I say where I work and what I do as I feel they take me more seriously.
I have to keep reminding myself that for 6months I've had these feelings and nothing bad has happened but then I fear that I become complacent when something is seriously wrong.
Problem with Google is you can fit your symptoms into most conditions if yiu search it in certain ways.

Dont google. Honestly it's one of the worst things to do if you are anxious. It throws up more questions than answers
Pages: 1 [2]