Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Period and Utrogestan  (Read 433 times)

CapriCapri

Period and Utrogestan
« on: June 15, 2024, 07:46:27 AM »

I am peri and have been prescribed gel and 12 days on/12 days off of Utrogestan (which I hate - it makes me feel very down and gives me distressingly vivid dreams).  My question is:

If I have a period that starts of its own accord two days before I am due to take the Utrogestan, do I need to take it?  I am having 'the bleed' so surely I don't need to take the horrid medication to bring it on?

Thanks for any advice.

sheila99

Re: Period and Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2024, 08:56:47 AM »

Medical advice is to carry on regardless. I work on the same theory as you though and stop taking it when I bleed (another utro hater :().

Uma17

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2024, 01:03:48 PM »

You can ask to be prescribed an alternative progesterone. There’s a very informative podcast on YouTube by Henpicked on progesterone intolerance with Dr Abbie Laing of the menopause centre.

bombsh3ll

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2024, 03:45:17 PM »

The progestogen is necessary unfortunately irrespective of bleeding as taking estrogen by itself can over the long term lead to endometrial hyperplasia.

There are lots of other options though if one form doesn't suit, so do go back and ask for an alternative rather than being tempted to skip or reduce it, or giving up on treatment altogether.

CapriCapri

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2024, 05:07:13 PM »

Thank you for all the advice - I appreciate it.  I suppose I'll take the pills then.

I am waiting for the mirena to be fitted but I keep being away from work when an appointment comes up (long story) but hopefully I'll get that soon and say adios to horrid utro.  But for now.................................  sigh!

bombsh3ll

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2024, 06:41:56 PM »

Other possible solutions whilst waiting for the mirena are taking it vaginally - some women get less side effects this way, or taking 100mg every night instead of none for 2 weeks then 200mg for 2 weeks.

Yes you might get some irregular bleeding with continuous use but it may be a price worth paying if you feel less wretched on a lower daily dose. (Remember there's no medical reason for induced withdrawal bleeds, these are simply built in due to paternalistic beliefs about what bleeding pattern a woman should have, and endometrial protection is superior with continuous progestogen).

If you could be waiting months, some GPs will sanction off label use of 150mcg desogestrel as the progestogen. This would mean taking a double dose of Cerazette or equivalent.