Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: I went without ............  (Read 1344 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
I went without ............
« on: June 12, 2024, 10:32:49 AM »

Rishi Sunak has said he went without "lots of things" as a child, including Sky TV.

:rofl:  there's a Monty Python sketch in there somewhere  ;D

I went without: TV; 2nd car - Dad had the 1st for work purposes; visits to/from school friends - once we finished at the end of the day or weekends, that was it.

I went without: a land line; heated lido; shop bought cake ............

jaypo

Re: I went without ............
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2024, 11:48:25 AM »

Awww poor Rishi  ;D

I remember getting dressed under the blankets for school,no central heating just a small electric fire which my mum would only let me put one bar on and it stunk if there was dust or fluff on it  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2024, 01:56:45 PM »

Yep. 

Coal fire lit in the evening except for weekends, Dad was out of bed first to put a match to it.

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2024, 02:30:24 PM »

Yep,my mum got me to scrunch up newspapers then we put kindling on top,then the coal  :D

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2024, 03:14:18 PM »

Oh I hate scrunching up news print  :-X.  Don't expect that Rishi ever thought of doing that!  Also he went to Winchester School ........ hard done by?  NOT!

Hannahlou

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2024, 03:30:40 PM »

Coats on the bed at night as well as blankets to keep warm and ice on the inside of the windows 😬. Getting dressed by the fire in a morning because that was the only warm place in the house

getting_old

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2024, 04:41:52 PM »

Oh the poor soul. How utterly traumatic for him  ::)

Looking back I went without a lot but never really noticed because it was all I ever knew. I remember having a massive growth spurt one school year, but wasn't allowed a new uniform so had to make do with too small clothes for a few months. From 15 I worked and saved to buy all non-school clothing as my mother refused to buy me anything that wasn't absolutely essential.

I also went without all of the Christmas presents I actually wanted as they were deemed "too masculine", so was given dolls instead. I just befriended local boys and played with their toys  ;D

I would have loved a better education but my mother wouldn't allow it  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2024, 05:34:05 PM »

My heart bleeds for him ......... not  ;D

We didn't have the continuous TV advertising.  I think we also knew that certain items were out of range.  When my Mum said 'no' that was it!  She didn't need to explain though she always tried to.

Holidays abroad weren't a 'thing'.  2nd hand items were normal.  Clothes, toys etc. handed down through families. 

I can't think of anything I went without ...... there were things that I would have liked but that's different. 

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2024, 05:43:19 PM »

All politicians talk for the sake of it, they love the sounds of their own voices!  He surely knew it would make headlines  :-\  :P. Was it a question actually put to him?

I got rid of our campaigners on Monday  ;D - we had a friend here for a catch up so I went to the door with the landline in my hand: saying loudly "Hang on a moment there's some1 at the door": opening it then telling the two blokes "Sorry I'm on a business call" and shut the door  ;D. That's a bit of a meander  8)

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2024, 06:30:46 PM »

I remember putting my hands in the sink under the warm water just to get warm. Our house was freezing in winter.
We had just one fire in the living room, and I got dressed for school in front of it.
We did have a blow out heater, but my dad would go mad if he saw it on.  ;D

Rishi Sunak doesn’t know the meaning ‘ of going without’ . 😡

jaypo

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2024, 07:03:39 PM »

Coats on the bed at night as well as blankets to keep warm and ice on the inside of the windows 😬. Getting dressed by the fire in a morning because that was the only warm place in the house

Oh yes,the frozen windows,all single glazed.
Boy we were all tough back then  ;D