Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Brain zaps  (Read 551 times)

imgeha

Brain zaps
« on: June 11, 2024, 08:05:02 AM »

I am 58 and on continuous HRT - Estrogel and the Slinda mini pill. My brain zaps, which I used to get before I was put on an antidepressant, are getting worse, and yesterday I was in bed with brain zaps so bad I couldn't move my head, a bad migraine and crying all over the place. I have just had 10 days of no Estrogel as a blood test showed I was high. I have always associated the migraine and brain zaps will falling or low oestrogen.

I've been through the posts here and and intrigued to see that some women believe their brain zaps are due to high oestrogen. This has really surprised me as I was convinced it was due to falling serotonin, which is produced by oestrogen. I normally treat them with more oestrogen and maybe another antidepressant ( my doctor said it was OK to take two as I am on a low dose). This is what I did yesterday, along with a painkiller for the migraine, went to sleep, woke up and it was all over.

So have I got this wrong about brains zaps? How do people deal with them? I find they pretty disabling and scary.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Brain zaps
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2024, 08:20:32 AM »

I'm not on HRT and my occasional brain zaps make me jump sometimes.   ::)

Ebonybones

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2024, 10:24:17 PM »

My husband gets these when he’s forgotten to take his anti depressants  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2024, 08:24:04 AM »

I'm on ADs .........  ::)

Gilla999

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2024, 11:32:17 AM »

My personal experience is that brain zaps (which I have suffered from for a while and are awful) come as you said as a result of falling serotonin levels - either as a side effect of lowered Estrogen or my anti depressants.

Having said that, I have terrible issues from times when my Estrogen level gets too high as well as too low - there seems to be a very fine middle ground for me where I am ok - and in general my symptoms of too high E are almost identical to too low... palpitations, cripply dread/doom anxiety, racing heart and tight chest. So I do think it's feasible that too high E could cause brain zaps too... I guess it's a very individual thing.