Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: 3 post menopause and 20 yrs RNY Bypass too!  (Read 707 times)

cutedame

• First Flush
3 post menopause and 20 yrs RNY Bypass too!
« on: June 03, 2024, 05:15:40 AM »

Hi all!

I had my last period in Sept 2021. I was 53 years old. Right after my period I got the covid shot and never bled again. No flash bleeding nothing. So I might have been thrown into menopause from that...I know others had that happen as well. I was right as rain before that and hadn't even started missing periods...I had PCOS 15 years before and had Gastric bypass and lost 160 pounds and then all of that reversed and I had regular periods up until Sept 2021.

I went to Gyne recently who specializes in HRT and told her my situation ..I am allergic to Progesterone and believe that all my hormonal issues started when I took Ortho Novum 1/50 which was a very high estrogen pill in the 80's as a teen...I put on 75 pounds in 3 months then and was heavy until I had bypass in 2004. I was able to get pregnant 3 times but miscarried and that is how I found out I am allergic to progesterone...trying to save the pregnancies...it made me me want to off myself...then I got tested and yep allergic. Now I have gained 100 back and know that my issues are metabolic not Portion control...which sucks cause now I can barely eat 900 calories a day and am still fat and dealing with Reactive Hypoglycemia which Menopause has made much worse. My other symptoms are crying jags, punani dryness and brain fog so far...no hot flashes or sleep probs yet...knock on wood! She said "Do you really want to rock the boat with HRT..as you have such a sensitive system?"

I am not quite sure what to do cause bypass will give me bone probs and I would like the protective benefits of HRT but I am truly in a quandary due to all my allergies and sensitivities.

Lastly, Got pap and she wants me to start Vagifem (Uvafem) and she said I have a small bacterial count on my swab...she gave me Metronidazole ...just wondering should I just start Vagifem and see if that helps with BV or do the other first...anyone been thru that before?

Also, would love to hear from others who had the RNY bypass who may be in the group! :)

Anyway, I am happy to have found this group and hope to get some clarity!

Much love menopause pals!
MaryJo
« Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 05:52:00 AM by cutedame »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: 3 post menopause and 20 yrs RNY Bypass too!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2024, 08:25:53 AM »

Morning: ?? from the US ??   :welcomemm:

Which bacteria on the swab, because our bodies are full good and less good, internally and on our skin. 

PCOS can cause weight gain. 

My friend recently had a gastric bypass and with on going support is managing her diet by a) knowing what she must not eat, b) how often she has to have food as well as keeping a diary.  It is never too late to start protecting our bone health: regular exercise, 10 mins every day; good diet with plenty of dairy, good hydration.  Calcium supplements. 

Is 1 medical advisor dealing with all these different scenarios or R U able to discuss with Consultants?  Here we have general practitioners who do have/should refer us to the appropriate departments.

Covid-19 is known to alter womens' periods etc..  They're mayB research or a support group in your District.

Let us know how you get on.  Do read the 'bladder issues' thread and those on vaginal atrophy - make notes ;-)

Ayesha

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2024, 01:07:48 PM »

The only part of your post I can reply to is the suggestion of using Vagifem. I would say definitely go ahead and start treatment as Vaginal Atrophy, or as it's now known, Genitourinary Syndrome of Menopause, is a progressive degenerative condition that only gets worse over time and treatment is for life.

Put vaginal atrophy in the search box, there are lots of threads here on the subject and are extremely educational.

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2024, 12:44:36 PM »

Hello cutedame and welcome to the forum.

I am sure that others will be along to advise you but I had a similar experience regarding my periods stopping suddenly.

I was 54 and my cycle hadn't changed at all but in April of 2010 I missed one period and that turned out to be the last one!

I realise that COVID and perhaps the vaccines can impact our hormones but that was not the case in 2010. I think that some of us just experience a sudden change in menstruation while for others their periods wax and wane.

I hope this helps on some way and take care.

K.