Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hello! New Member  (Read 845 times)

BermudaQueen

Hello! New Member
« on: June 10, 2024, 02:14:24 PM »

Hello everyone, thanks for adding me! 

A little about me, I'm 56yrs old, fit and well, had no children - menopause started about 8yrs ago, fairly early, until 2018 when all periods stopped (thank god!  always suffered from excrutiating period pains every 3 weeks!).

But the dryness caused 3/4 bouts of cystisis and eventually in 2019 an internal bladder scan showed all ok, but a fibroid pressing in to my bladder, however, they felt the decrease in oestrogen would shrink them.  So they put me on 2 x week Vagifem to help, but there are concerns now that even the very low dose is not helping my fibroids to shrink!

The last 3/4 months been suffering spotting and bad cramps, like a period is coming, but never does!  So did the right thing, went to GP, 2 high cervical swabs taken (all clear) and blood tests, referred to hospital on the 2 week cancer pathway.

I must say the speed has been amazing, saw the Consultant last Tuesday, internal scan showed 5 fibroids and one pushing in to the endometrium.  They offered to do the Hysteroscopy there and then, but they started and it was just too painful.

Yesterday I was in hospital having the Hysteroscopy under GA (thank God!) - biopsies taken (awaiting results), but the surgeon did say I had a stenosed cervix and atrophic uterus so she struggled to get a good sample.  All I can do now is wait!

Anyway, a brief history of my menopause journey - am happy to chat through any of the things I've suffered if it might help and the treatments I've tried - and look forward to chatting!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2024, 07:30:00 PM by BermudaQueen »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello! New Member
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2024, 03:06:59 PM »

:welcomemm:   how long do U have to wait for any results?

Vaginal atrophy treatment needs to be 2/3 nights of what ever is prescribed: vagifem, ovestin or both.  We have several threads about this condition which can be managed successfully.  VA mimics repeated urine infection-type symptoms really, really well  >:(

Browse round.  Make notes ;-)

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2024, 03:08:56 PM »

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I too had several fibroids,tried every treatment there was but nothing helped,eventually had a hysterectomy and it improved my life 100%
Xx

BermudaQueen

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2024, 04:07:03 PM »

Vaginal atrophy treatment needs to be 2/3 nights of what ever is prescribed: vagifem, ovestin or both.  We have several threads about this condition which can be managed successfully.  VA mimics repeated urine infection-type symptoms really, really well  >:(

Hi!  Yes VA seems to be such a typical symptom, probably wasn't talked about years ago, my Nan/Mum didn't mention it - but I'll have a read through the other posts, am very fed up with it!

BermudaQueen

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2024, 04:12:47 PM »

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I too had several fibroids,tried every treatment there was but nothing helped,eventually had a hysterectomy and it improved my life 100%
Xx

Ah, aren't they awful, I get terrible cramping from them!  I had mine checked last week at the hospital but they seem convinced they will shrink, but I did end up having a Hysteroscopy yesterday (not a brilliant experience!), now waiting for biopsy results!   

Did discuss a potential hysterectomy with them, but they didn't seem keen, said I would have to have this investigation completed, then speak to my GP again!  No idea why?!

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2024, 05:17:05 PM »

I think hysterectomy is the last option,which it was for me,mine weren't going anywhere   >:(
The hysteroscopy I had,didn't make for a great afternoon either lol think I nearly broke the nurses hand,when she held mine  ;D
I had an endometrial ablation,worked for a while but then it just all started up,again a few months later but that doesn't mean to say yours won't shrink,they do in a lot of women,hope you get it sorted soon xx

BermudaQueen

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2024, 07:31:13 PM »

Hey, they tell me 2 weeks, and they'll sort out a follow up appointment once they're back!

BermudaQueen

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2024, 07:36:03 PM »

I think hysterectomy is the last option,which it was for me,mine weren't going anywhere   >:(
The hysteroscopy I had,didn't make for a great afternoon either lol think I nearly broke the nurses hand,when she held mine  ;D
I had an endometrial ablation,worked for a while but then it just all started up,again a few months later but that doesn't mean to say yours won't shrink,they do in a lot of women,hope you get it sorted soon xx

Thanks jaypo!  My GP has said she will push for a hysterectomy for me, so once I've had the results of this Hysteroscopy, and if everything is ok, I will push for it. 

My Nan died from Ovarian Cancer, and although my recent internal scan showed my ovaries are fine, after all the years of period pain and struggling with fibroids and vaginal atrophy and now I have an atrophic uterus, my GP agrees that I would be better off having a total hysterectomy - I know it's a big op, but I just want to put it all behind me, it wears you down in the end, doesn't it?!

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2024, 07:38:21 PM »

It is major surgery.  U may well require HRT after so do discuss the options prior to signing that Consent Form!

BermudaQueen

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2024, 07:44:43 PM »

It is major surgery.  U may well require HRT after so do discuss the options prior to signing that Consent Form!

Will do CLKD!  I know it's a big operation, but I'm so tired of the constant wearing down, had severe period pains since I was 14 until the menopause kicked in 4/5yrs ago, now fibroids and dryness and a very thin womb lining and currently waiting for biopsy results to make sure no abnormal cells - always just got on with things, but wish it would all go away! 

But I hear you about hormone treatment, I'm on Vagifem for the dryness and use YES products, waiting to see what will happen after my results are in!

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2024, 07:46:42 PM »

Keep up with the VA treatments.  Make a list of your worries and get an appt., U don't have to undergo surgery immediately: consideration after discussion - U can even go on a waiting list and if you change your mind, you can cancel.

I believe that there is a support group ?? hystersisters ?? where you could have a lookC?

BermudaQueen

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2024, 07:42:31 AM »

Keep up with the VA treatments.  Make a list of your worries and get an appt., U don't have to undergo surgery immediately: consideration after discussion - U can even go on a waiting list and if you change your mind, you can cancel.

I believe that there is a support group ?? hystersisters ?? where you could have a lookC?

Brilliant, thank you! 

Once you get to menopause you think ‘yay that’s over and done with’, but it’s not is it ?! 

Reading on here all the continuing symptoms women have, pain and being uncomfortable, definitely coming back as a boy next time 😂

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2024, 08:25:59 AM »

Men have problems too ;-)

It's The Change - does what it says on the tin  ::)