Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is vaginal utrogestan known to irritate?  (Read 820 times)

chopsuey

Re: Is vaginal utrogestan known to irritate?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2024, 10:18:15 PM »

I was given the option to use the Cyclogest rectally but I'm not sure what the evidence base is for using it that way for HRT purposes. I will be sticking to vaginal anyway.

There is some info on this link about rectal use, in terms of positioning the pessary, which I guess would apply to Utro as well, if you are going to try that.

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/5568/pil#about-medicine
« Last Edit: June 22, 2024, 10:21:01 PM by chopsuey »

Abc123

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2024, 10:56:02 AM »

Thanks again Chopsuey, great link and I'll use that advice for if I try rectal utrogestan.

laszla

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2024, 03:02:20 PM »

I don't know if it's the progesterone itself that irritates, or one of the ingredients.

Titanium dioxide is one of the eccipients of utrogestan, a fact that has always shocked me. I've posted about this before - TD is classified as a 2B-type carcinogen, and banned in foodstuffs in the EU in 2022, though maddeningly not yet in medicines. Who knows if it might be the cause of Abc's irritation but even if not it's alarming that Besins are using this stuff (whose sole purpose it to give the product an even white colour).

Most ironically, among its various potentially harmful effects, titanium has been shown to cause ovarian dysfunction and hormone inbalance (including a reduction in progesterone concentration!) https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0304389412008643

chopsuey

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2024, 06:09:10 PM »

Maybe another reason to switch to Cyclogest then, if you can get it prescribed, as it only contains hard fat plus progesterone

Abc123

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2024, 06:45:35 PM »

Thanks Laszla, very interesting.

I don't think my GP will be able to prescribe Cyclogest as our ICB has it as a TLS red in their formulary for use in IVF or ore term labour. I'll definitely ask though as well as asking about pessaries for VA as I don't think the Ovestin cream is treating/reaching everything well enough (even though I try to insert high).

Thanks again all of you, you're great!

Abc123

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2024, 05:53:31 AM »

Just to update. I tried rectally last night. Although all went well initially, I woke up with really bad pain in my rectum about an hour after inserting it. Once I could get out of bed I managed to pass it and the pain passed. So that route isn't going to suit me by the looks of it! Least I know.
Pages: 1 [2]