Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Covid for the first time  (Read 2084 times)

Asher

Covid for the first time
« on: June 07, 2024, 08:41:22 PM »

I tested positive for Covid on Wednesday (only still test due to my mum having terminal lung cancer) obviously I can’t risk infecting her with anything respiratory.
Anyway my question to anyone who’s had it how long does it last , I’m not really unwell but I do have severe aching muscles and joints, headaches, stomach pains , mild cold type symptoms stuffy nose and cough not dry though and I’ve completely lost my taste and smell.
It’s the aching and stomach pain that’s the worst , I was surprised it came up positive because it’s the first time I’ve ever got a positive result.
I’m my mum and dad’s main support so hoping this doesn’t hang around too long.
How long did anyone’s symptoms last? .

Taz2

Re: Covid for the first time
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2024, 08:51:45 PM »

Hi Asher. I'm so sorry to hear that you have covid and also that your mum has terminal cancer.. I've had covid three times and each time has been different. The first time I tested positive for 15 days even though symptoms had gone. Second time was 8 days and the third time was 6 days though I still felt unwell. This latest strain can cause stomach pain I believe. The last time I had it I had no respiratory symptoms at all just a temperature and upset stomach and nausea. Are you vaccinated?

Taz x  :hug:

Asher

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2024, 09:03:44 PM »

Hi Taz2 , thank you so much for your reply and also your kind words.
I am vaccinated , I feel lucky I have escaped catching for this long , although I know I could have had it without knowing.
It’s only been since Tuesday I felt off then tested positive on Wednesday I guess I’ve got a while to go before it goes.
The stomach ache is the most uncomfortable symptom.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2024, 09:04:59 PM »

Who will go into your parents whilst you isolate?  Whilst it isn't legally necessary if U are caring for someone with a compromised immune system, you really should keep away.

We thought that we had escaped the dreaded Covid-19 until 12 months ago.  I had a cold: no aches/pains, no headache.  After 3-4 days symptoms went, then DH began to feel shivery. We both tested positive the following day, he didn't get a negative result for 15-16 days.   Both had kept to the whole vaccination programme.

Covid-19 is a SARS virus, the same as the common cold.  Though more virulent !  Get those feet up, lots of fluids and Paracetamol.  Ask your GP Surgery to arrange District Nurses until you test negative.

Asher

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2024, 09:45:14 PM »

Hi CLKD,
Thank you for your reply, my mum does have a carer go in every morning for 30 minutes to help her get washed and dressed and our st.giles nurse visits regularly but I do there shopping and walk the dog , I’m mainly emotional support to my dad, mum is coping really well and she’s very positive considering her diagnosis, but my poor dad is struggling to accept it, it helps him when I’m there physically to support him just so he can talk and get things off his chest.
I guess I can do home delivery for shopping, and I will have to do phone calls for a while, I also want to spend as much time as possible with my mum.
Thanks for your good advice, I will just have to rest up and hope it passes soon.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2024, 06:59:52 AM »

How do U feel this morning?   MayB if you all wore masks you would be able to visit and if it's nice enough, sit outdoors with a cuppa.  U know your circumstances but keeping a distance might be important for another 5 days at least.  I don't know how long the virus continues after a negative result?

Asher

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2024, 07:51:57 AM »

Hi CLKD,
Thanks for asking, I’m very stiff and aching feeling freezing cold too.
Think I will keep away for another 5 days like you say and hopefully will test negative by then.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2024, 09:33:48 AM »

I hate Summer colds anyway  ::)  :foryou:

How do U parents feel?

marge

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2024, 03:12:12 PM »

I tested positive yesterday. For me it’s just like having a cold: runny nose, lots is sneezing and a bit achy. Stomach feels a bit off too, but nothing too bad.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2024, 05:04:55 PM »

I always feel queasy B4 a cold begins  >:(.  There are glands in the stomach and groin which go into protective overdrive.

Asher

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2024, 07:03:12 PM »

Hi marge , sorry to hear you have Covid too, hope you recover soon.

Hi CLKD , yes I too hate summer colds , why do they always feel worse than winter ones , my parents feel a bit worried about me having Covid I’ve told them it’s nothing to worry about, think they are going to miss me going round for a few days , they don’t see anyone other than the carer’s so I’m also company for them, I feel terrible not going but would feel worse if I gave my mum Covid.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2024, 07:28:03 PM »

Take this opportunity to recharge those batteries.  U speak on the phone?  Make a list of things that you see in your garden for example to talk about ....... as you improve you can drive by and wave whilst they stand at their front door ;-)

Asher

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2024, 08:17:39 PM »

Hi CLKD , thank you for taking the time to give such lovely advice, i will be phoning them tomorrow, and what a great suggestion to drive by and wave I’m sure they will love that .
Thank you , your advice is greatly appreciated.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2024, 07:46:49 AM »

You R very welcome.  It's about keeping your parents safe and not depleting your energy levels!

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2024, 05:22:25 PM »

How R U feeling?  R U parents OK?
Pages: [1] 2