Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Does progesterone decrease oestrogen?  (Read 633 times)

Tulip256

Does progesterone decrease oestrogen?
« on: June 07, 2024, 08:10:20 PM »

I have been taking utrogestan orally for 2 years, 12 days a month. Last month I decided to trial it vaginally to see if it would help my reflux.

This did seem to help but I think I am absorbing a lot more vaginally as it meant
A) I had a delayed but much heavier and more uncomfortable period. Usually if happens day 10 of the utrogestan, this time it was on day 6 post utrogesran
B) I got a lot more pms symptoms and spots
C) I am now getting hot flushes again which I have not had for years
D) My resting heart rate has shot up by 15 points

So I am wondering if my absorbing more progesterone vaginally is decreasing my oestrogen levels? I now feel I need to increase my patch or go back to taking it orally as I understand I should not cut the utrogestan dose? Really wishing I had not messed around with this now as things were not too bad and I now feel awful.

Tulip256

Re: Does progesterone decrease oestrogen?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2024, 05:57:03 AM »

Anyone?

Penguin

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2024, 06:28:33 AM »

No it doesn't decrease estrogen. Could it be the utrogestan causing those symptoms? You do absorb more vaginally. My hr always goes up in the second half of my cycle when progesterone is higher and utrogestan is thermogenic so known to make you hotter. When I was on hrt I hated the days I had to take the utrogestan. I would go back to orally if you can tolerate it. I couldn't as it had to be taken on an empty stomach.

Uma17

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2024, 07:36:47 AM »

It doesn’t reduce estrogen. Gives yourself a bit more time, a change in dosage or administration takes a little time to settle. When did you make the change? When my friend started HRT she started having hot flushes after not having had any for a while. You can imagine how annoyed she was! It settled quite quickly.

Are you on patches or gel? I read that if on gel good idea to time the gel application closer to taking utrogestan?

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2024, 08:35:18 AM »

Given the bleed was so long after the end of utro I would suspect your own hormones have kicked in this month. If the flushes don't settle you might consider increasing your oestrogen.