Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Progesterone intolerance  (Read 1406 times)

oldlady1961

Progesterone intolerance
« on: May 22, 2024, 12:08:24 PM »

I’m looking for love and support from those of you who have had bad progesterone experiences; what finally worked for you, and any suggestions for managing symptoms while “coming off” one sort and starting another. I have no one else to discuss this with! 

AKatieD

Re: Progesterone intolerance
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2024, 10:28:39 PM »

Utrogestan made me feel like a zombie so I dropped it as soon as I could - vaginally was better at half dose but g.p. became too difficult to pursue this. She offered me mirena coil which I would not use, or, synthetic progesterone. I asked for bioidentical version ( Crinone) as supposed to be effective and safer than synthetic, but she would not prescribe so she referred me privately as she said I would never get an NHS appointment. Been taking Crinone gel ever since without problem.

Armadillo

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2024, 05:26:33 PM »

Hello Lady 1961  ( I am omitting the old on purpose)

I dont have answers but I was severely progesterone intolerant and know how blooming awful it is so i wanted to just reach out say.. i read your post, i hear you and I am sorry its affecting you so badly.

For me the solution was hysterectomy removing my ovaries (therefore no progesterone needed in HRT but also no progesterone in my body either.  A welcome break as my periods and cycle had been awful since puberty but pre internet i didnt know i was different and my female relatives were not much better informed.

I tried allsorts the last one was progesterone pessaries vaginally prescribed by the hospital gynae... 

I really hope you find a solution for you

oldlady1961

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2024, 06:39:29 AM »

Thank you so much for replying. It’s now six weeks once I stopped provera (which I took on the advice of a gynae consultant because of a thickened endometrium) and I can definitely feel myself getting back to normal at last, I only took it for 9 weeks and can’t believe it’s taking so long. I feel poisoned. I was fine on utrogestan for 5 years and have now put myself back on that. It’s as if provera wiped out any benefits of the Oestrogel and I’ve had to start again from scratch, even though I never stopped the Oestrogel. I don’t know what’s coming next but there’s no point in having a “healthy endometrium thickness” if I’m mentally unwell.

Armadillo

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2024, 08:34:02 AM »

That all sounds so familiar to me.

I am not suggesting that the route i took is right for everyone.. but went on estrogen only whilst waiting for my hysterectomy.. no progesterone at all and for a long while it worked really well.. only the last couple of months did the thickened uterine lining cause issues... i dont know f that would happen in post menopause... some fairly significant clotting, bleeding etc.. but whilst awful to manage was nothing like life without estrogel or with the progesterone.

I am sure they can do some more regular checks to make sure all is ok .

I am gla dyou are feeling a bit more yourself

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2024, 08:36:52 AM »

If you tolerate utro perhaps it might be better to increase that instead of changing? How much are you on now? Vaginal is supposed to be more effective than oral.

oldlady1961

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2024, 03:06:13 PM »

Yes since stopping provera I have put myself back on utrogestan and doubled it to 200mg as recommended in the British Menopause Society guidelines on post menopausal bleeding, it turns out that endometrial thickening can be “treated” by either provera, or another type, or just by doubling utrogestan, but I didn’t know this at the time and just did what the gynae consultant recommended not realizing what the possible side effects could be. I am improving, I felt completely normal all day yesterday but today I feel very flat and bordering on anxious (the main provera side effect has been horrible anxiety and insomnia) I’m so fed up of feeling like this a whole six weeks after stopping provera. I was totally happy before this started (on Oestrogel and 100mg utrogestan.) It’s almost as of the 9 weeks of provera kind of canceled the previous good effects of Oestrogel and I’m starting all over again (I never stopped using Oestrogel as I wasn’t told to) I don’t want to be this person anymore.

Sophya

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2024, 07:40:27 PM »

I’m looking for love and support from those of you who have had bad progesterone experiences; what finally worked for you, and any suggestions for managing symptoms while “coming off” one sort and starting another. I have no one else to discuss this with!
I don't have bad progesterone experiences but I want to say that you are strong and you will succeed in your battle.
Also keep track of any symptoms or changes you experience during the transition period and discuss them with your healthcare provider. Include new lifestyle changes, dietary adjustments, stress-reduction techniques that can help.

oldlady1961

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2024, 05:44:48 PM »

Thank you Sophya. Another week on and still not back to normal but I think I’m improving. I walk a couple of miles every day. I don’t drink alcohol at all.  I’m trying mindfulness. I’m also keeping a detailed diary about how the days and nights are going. I don’t know what else I can do. Thanks for your encouragement.