Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Mood boosters for that flat feeling  (Read 1548 times)

Fizwhizz

Mood boosters for that flat feeling
« on: June 03, 2024, 04:48:16 PM »

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on coping with the horrid flat/joyless feeling? I can’t take HRT currently. Trying to sort my thyroid out which also crashed. HRT didn’t help in fact it made matters worse in the end so I’m not able to start that again until my thyroid meds are optimal. Tbh I’m not sure I want to go through the palaver again of trying to balance my hormones but I hate this flatness. I try keep going but just feel weird and not like myself. Even the sun shining in isn’t lifting my mood much. Thanks.

Penguin

Re: Mood boosters for that flat feeling
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2024, 05:30:15 PM »

Would getting out and doing exercise first thing help? It helps me getting out in fresh air and getting moving.

CarolineM

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2024, 05:49:29 PM »

Have you got a dog? If not, maybe borrow a friend's and go for a walk, or look at Borrow My Doggie as it's likely someone near you is signed up to it.

https://www.borrowmydoggy.com

Hope you find something that works, it's a horrible feeling.

oldlady1961

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2024, 05:51:09 PM »

Horrible isn’t it. Sorry can’t help but I can definitely sympathise. I’m on HRT Oestrogel and utrogestan and reacted badly to provera which I was put on temporarily and I still feel poisoned 6 weeks after stopping it. The only thing that helps is walking. As fast as I can twice a day.

Fizwhizz

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2024, 06:17:55 PM »

Thanks everyone. I force myself out daily and do the brisk walking thing as it’s the only thing that vaguely helps. It’s like I have a dopamine shortage or whatever happy hormones I need are clearly in deficit. I’ve had uppy, downy moods in the past and horrible depression but this isn’t like that. It’s just a flat, nothingness with no joy or oomph. Hoping once my thyroid is optimal I might feel better or maybe be able to look at options like Tibolone maybe. I did find B vits helped but they seem to give me liver pain which is another concern. It does help to know I’m not the only one struggling with this feeling. Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2024, 07:54:37 AM »

Hi.  Who is over-seeing your thyroid function tests?  GPs don't seem to want to do further blood tests if, in their opinion,  levels are 'normal', however - there are other tests that can determine whether medication should be increased/not.  Hopefully some1 with thyroid function knowledge will be along.

T4 and T3. I think that these are the other blood tests which some sufferers have to push for.  An endocrinologist appt. might help too.

It may be that your thyroid hormone was affected by any replacement that you were prescribed.  Peri can certainly mess with thyroid!

.... and breath.  This too will pass.  R U particularly sleepy?  Loss of interest in hobbies etc.?  Let us know how you get on.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2024, 07:58:13 AM by CLKD »

Fizwhizz

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2024, 12:57:12 PM »

Hi.  Who is over-seeing your thyroid function tests?  GPs don't seem to want to do further blood tests if, in their opinion,  levels are 'normal', however - there are other tests that can determine whether medication should be increased/not.  Hopefully some1 with thyroid function knowledge will be along.

T4 and T3. I think that these are the other blood tests which some sufferers have to push for.  An endocrinologist appt. might help too.

It may be that your thyroid hormone was affected by any replacement that you were prescribed.  Peri can certainly mess with thyroid!

.... and breath.  This too will pass.  R U particularly sleepy?  Loss of interest in hobbies etc.?  Let us know how you get on.

Thanks. Private GP again for thyroid. My levels are normal but thyroid antibodies off the scale. I have hashimotos. I had a private menopause GP too but with hindsight didn’t rate her/the experience. Private meno GP only looked at sex hormones so I never got balanced as thyroid wasn’t coping with menopause or the HRT. I became over oestrogen ed in spite of the progesterone. I felt dreadful and then ended up with spotting so jacked in the HRT. I felt better after doing so but have just been on armour thyroid for nearly a month and feel so flat. It’s feeling like I’m stuck in a huge rut but just can’t dig myself out. I try to keep going, do the housework, walking, etc but have no enthusiasm for much more. The zest for life is gone and even fun stuff/hobbies doesn’t appeal. I’m hoping if my thyroid is optimised I’ll feel better or might be able to try Tibolone. I’m not sure I can go through the HRT again. It helps to know I’m not on own feeling like this.

Penguin

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2024, 01:47:46 PM »

Do you think it is what you're taking for the thyroid that is causing the flatness? Perhaps you don't need as much? Or is it defo low estrogen. It sounds like you need to see a functional medicine doctor / naturopath or similar, to look at it all holistically. Is that something you'd consider?

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2024, 01:48:42 PM »

There are several with hashimotos - mayB put the word in2 the search box on the Forum?  U can get support from those affected.

How supportive is the GP that you are seeing for this? 

No need to think about HRT at this moment in time.  The body doesn't get where it is suddenly and you may find that once you get the thyroid function under some control, you won't require any.  Do read the threads about vaginal atrophy, 4warned is 4armed ;-)

Violetta808

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2024, 02:18:22 PM »

Hi Fizwhizz. I sympathise - that feeling that the colour has drained out of the world is one of the reasons I went on HRT (as well as frequent headaches, VA, lost libido, tinnitus, creaky joints...) my sleep was OK though  :)

Walking/running/being out in a park or somewhere green did help up to a point, but it also made me sad that I wasn't getting the buzz out of it that I used to, if you know what I mean.

I'm currently on tibolone and it's working very well for me. I'm on it because I have very bleedy fibroids that didn't like conventional HRT (plus I felt very bloated on 50mcg patch and utrogestan). I believe it's the androgenic component of tibolone that is very good for 'blunted motivation' as I saw it described somewhere. I've not had a whoosh of energy but I feel much more resilient and optimistic and like my normal self again - it's also helped relieve all the other symptoms which obviously helps with mood. And I've had no side effects.

Is tibolone contraindicated if you have thyroid issues? It works in a different way to oestrogen/progesterone though so perhaps you could try it sooner rather than later.

buffy26

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2024, 01:05:47 PM »

At the risk of seeming like I am a promo as I have recommended this a few times on the forum, L'Theannine is great. Its an amino acid so its natural. I have been through a lot personally and health wise, before taking these I felt quite down and flat. These have kept me stable and able to focus and keep my mojo ticking over. When I stopped I could feel myself sink backwards to that familiar feeling.

There are a lot of reviews online everywhere where people seem to swear by it

Kathleen

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2024, 02:24:07 PM »

Hello Fizwhizz.

My thyroid crashed after having Glandular Fever a few years ago. I felt very ill and was found to have high levels of antibodies. The diagnosis was Hashimotos Thyroiditis and I was prescribed Levothyroxine daily. Since then my blood tests have been in the normal range ( including my antibodies though this test was a while ago).

I wonder what your doctor has planned for you for your thyroid treatment?

I should also add that my mood changes, which include plenty of ups and downs began in post meno and have continued to be a feature regardless of HRT, ADs and Thyroid meds. I think my body just really loved having lots of Oestrogen lol.

Wishing you well.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2024, 02:47:58 PM »

Buffy - it's OK to share experiences but not links that sell items ;-)

bluemczoo

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2024, 08:16:20 AM »

Hi FizzWhizz, this all sounds thyroidy. HRT medicine can affect thyroid and blood test levels may appear normal but aren’t actually. You got to find your ‘normal’ I am hypo and my GP has been varying my levothyroxine, to find a good amount. It takes ages and I sympathise with you! They actually lowered my dose and I feel a little better. I do take HRT though as well. The thyroid issues were affected when I started HRT (I have been hypo for years). I agree with the comments above about getting out and moving. I always feel that I need a kickstart to my metabolism as our thyroid’s aren’t helping us. I hope you feel better soon!