Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Pumpkin seed extract for nocturia  (Read 1833 times)

Mrspep1970

• First Flush
Pumpkin seed extract for nocturia
« on: June 05, 2024, 08:51:27 PM »

Has anyone used pumpkin seed extract for nocturia? Or any recommendations for something that might help stop me needing to go to the toilet at night?

I'm 53 and, until a few months ago, had an 'easy' time post menopause. Cue 3 uti's in the last 4 months and this week having to go for a wee at stupid o'clock in the morning 😔 I've just finished a week's course of antibiotics so that might be the reason for it but I can't get an appointment with my preferred GP until 24th so I'm hoping to find something myself.

Hoping you lovely ladies can help a sleep deprived newbie xx

Jules

Re: Pumpkin seed extract for nocturia
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2024, 10:43:56 PM »

Has anyone used pumpkin seed extract for nocturia? Or any recommendations for something that might help stop me needing to go to the toilet at night?

I'm 53 and, until a few months ago, had an 'easy' time post menopause. Cue 3 uti's in the last 4 months and this week having to go for a wee at stupid o'clock in the morning 😔 I've just finished a week's course of antibiotics so that might be the reason for it but I can't get an appointment with my preferred GP until 24th so I'm hoping to find something myself.

Hoping you lovely ladies can help a sleep deprived newbie xx
Have you tried the stuff that was on dragons den.  It's now available in Boots. I can't remember the name of it.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2024, 11:12:37 PM »

I haven't, but I've heard that it can be very effective.

There's a few on the market, one of which is Jude, the one that was on dragons den, as Jules as mentioned.  This one is quite expensive compared to some others on the market, though this might be to do with the quality of the ingredients. You could always try the cheaper versions first and if they work that's good, if not, and you can afford it, give Jude a go.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2024, 07:13:08 AM »

Vaginal atrophy springs to mind.  Ring your surgery this morning and ask for appropriate treatment, you don't need an examination or blood tests.

As oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry: inside and out; skin, deep in the ears, nostrils, vagina .........

Was a urine sample sent to a Lab for testing?  Whilst ABs will ease symptoms in the form of an anti-inflammatory, you will be surprised at how better VA treatment is.  Let us know how you get on.  I eat pumpkin seeds at breakfast which make no difference to the amount that I pee.

Jules

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2024, 09:56:00 AM »

I would never ask for treatment for something without being checked. UTIs can be caused by different things and not just VA.  My GP wouldn't prescribe based on self diagnosis  either without seeing me.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 03:29:51 PM by Jules »

Ayesha

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2024, 01:44:46 PM »

If its peeing all the time and not the other symptoms that could relate to it being Vaginal Atrophy (GSM) then no, a GP would never hand over a prescription on a patients own diagnoses.
If you think it might possibly be VA read up on the various threads here and be informed before your next appointment, knowledge is power with this condition.

Mrspep1970

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2024, 04:54:45 PM »

I'm thinking VA too based on reading through here and some comments I received on my very first (and only) post.

I was hoping to try an alternative to HRT whilst waiting to see the GP on 24th.

Jude looks like it's what I'm after but it is quite expensive. I'm happy to pay for it if it works but don't know anyone personally who's used it, or anything similar.

Jules

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2024, 05:29:14 PM »

It might be the likely cause but best to get the right assessment. Can you keep checking for cancellations at your surgery?

Mrspep1970

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2024, 06:25:31 PM »

Possibly but work-wise it's difficult. I'll see how it goes 👍

VioletAquarius

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2024, 09:57:16 PM »

Jude looks like it's what I'm after but it is quite expensive. I'm happy to pay for it if it works but don't know anyone personally who's used it, or anything similar.

There are other alternatives to Jude that are cheaper that you could try. NOW seem to have good reviews and are a lot cheaper. Have a Google at some others, read reviews, compare prices and ingredients x
« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 09:59:49 PM by VioletAquarius »

VioletAquarius

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2024, 10:04:33 PM »

I see a lot of you are mentioning it could be va.  Could it really be va? as she only has the problem of weeing through the night.  If it was va wouldn't she be having problems through the day as well?
(this is a polite question as I only know a bit about va, and it's good to learn) x
« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 10:06:45 PM by VioletAquarius »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2024, 10:09:57 PM »

4 me it was more bathroom visits in the night B4 I began to get infection-type symptoms in the early hours into the day.  I would sit on the loo to relieve the symptoms of needing to pee - which I did continually - with a cup of tea in one hand and water in the other  ::).  Anti-biotic treatment helped on a dip stick test in the surgery, when my GP found out he was furious that no samples had been sent to a Lab..  He rang 2 let me know that he was leaving a prescription for a month, to see him after.  I never had examination but the VA treatment worked so he continued with the prescriptions. 

Jules

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2024, 11:15:52 PM »

I see a lot of you are mentioning it could be va.  Could it really be va? as she only has the problem of weeing through the night.  If it was va wouldn't she be having problems through the day as well?
(this is a polite question as I only know a bit about va, and it's good to learn) x
We don't really know, we can summise but we're not doctors,  that's why some of said it's best to be sure and get assessed to get the right treatment.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2024, 08:55:03 PM »

Thanks both!