Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan causing insomnia  (Read 707 times)

Lizzyloo

• First Flush
Utrogestan causing insomnia
« on: June 06, 2024, 11:56:06 AM »

Hi everyone, I need help. I'm new to HRT, perimenopausal, 46years old. Currently taking 25mcg estradiol patch and 200mg utrogestan day 14 to 28. I was feeling great on the patch and am now 4 nights into taking the utrogestan which has me feeling absolutely horrendous and suffering ftom insomnia, which I have never experienced. I tried taking my 4th dose vaginally and am still wide awake. I am now thinking of changing to taking in the morning as I simply cant live without sleep. I'm wondering is there anyone here that takes their utrogestan in the morning who can give me their experiences please. Thank you so much in advance. I was hoping HRT would help me be better for my family not worse ❤

sheila99

Re: Utrogestan causing insomnia
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2024, 12:46:19 PM »

It does the same to me. I take it in the morning now so it's worn off a bit by night. It isn't perfect but I can tolerate it this way. There are other (limited) options if you can't tolerate it, look under the Treatments tab from the menu.

Lizzyloo

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2024, 01:18:37 PM »

Thanks Sheila, are you sleeping better at night by taking it in tbe morning? This is all so new to me. I had no idea this could happen. I'm limited to what I can take as I have a clotting disorder.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 01:21:59 PM by Lizzyloo »

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2024, 01:51:14 PM »

Yes. My sleep is still more disrupted but it's bearable. I had no side effects from the progestin in evorel patches but can't use them now as I developed an allergic reaction to the glue. We're in the minority, for most people utrogestan improves their sleep  :(. Normal dose is 200mg x 12 days not 14 (days 15-26).

discogirl

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2024, 02:12:18 PM »

Hi Lizzylou

Yep, utrogestan does this to me also; I had a 3 month break off hrt restarted in March, I restarted on utro orally at night and for a while it was great, it did seem to sedate me, then however i started having issues with my sleep again, wired brain, so I had a 3 day break off it and I slept fine off it. However when I restarted it at night again, same wired feeling, so I've just started taking it orally in the mornings.

I'm like some other women who need the oestrogen but find the progesterone part difficult x

discogirl

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2024, 02:34:27 PM »

Yes. My sleep is still more disrupted but it's bearable. I had no side effects from the progestin in evorel patches but can't use them now as I developed an allergic reaction to the glue. We're in the minority, for most people utrogestan improves their sleep  :(. Normal dose is 200mg x 12 days not 14 (days 15-26).

Hi Sheila99

Sorry I'm sure I've asked you this before, but do you take the utro continous?

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2024, 04:07:01 PM »

No, long cycle sequi (6 weeks). It makes me dopey and there's no way I'm going to be permanently doped. For me it builds up, by day 8 I turn into a couch potato.

discogirl

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2024, 05:58:21 PM »

its weird im on continous and i was great on it for about 3 wks at first then i started getting wired. at night and it was affecting my sleeo. just started taking it in the mornings sgain x

Lizzyloo

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2024, 07:24:55 PM »

Thank you ladies for your replies, it means a lot. What a shame we are in the minority. My friends on HRT love the progesterone and can't believe what I'm experiencing. I've decided to give up taking the HRT, will have a break from it and then will restart and try taking the utrogestan in the morning.
Thank you both so much for taking the time to reply, it is so appreciated. I've reached out to my prescribing Dr but have heard nothing back, so have guided myself through this with the help from lovey people like yourselves. Thank you.

Wrensong

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2024, 08:35:02 AM »

Hi Lizzyloo &  :welcomemm:
My friends on HRT love the progesterone and can't believe what I'm experiencing
As Sheila & Discogirl have said it does unfortunately affect some of us this way, me included  :(  It's definitely a thing.  I hope you find morning dosing solves the problem for you when you retry later.
Wx