Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Menstrual Experiences during perimenopause  (Read 606 times)

Andil

Menstrual Experiences during perimenopause
« on: June 04, 2024, 07:01:43 PM »

Hello. It struck me this evening that there is very little information about what actually happens to periods during perimenopause. Most information just gives (unhelpful) ‘anything could happen’ advice. I thought it might be helpful to start a thread on our specific experiences, as I wish I’d been able to understand what different people’s journeys were like when this first started. I am 50yo and 2 yrs in. After a year or so of my periods returning to teenage like unpredictability (sometimes two weeks between periods, sometimes 32 day cycles) with some periods 5 days (short for me) and occasionally 12-14 days, I have now ‘stabilised’ with periods of about 8 days but I have realised now that I won’t ‘skip’ periods as I had thought, but that they are now getting further and further apart (currently 40 days). I’ve always had a very heavy flow, but now I only get maybe 2 days of heavy flow now. Hope this prompts others to share their experience so that people coming into or in perimenopause (or even finding periods have re-started after an 11month break like my friend) can see what ‘expect anything’ really means from our collective lives! ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Menstrual Experiences during perimenopause
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2024, 07:09:27 PM »

The Change: does what it says on the tin  ::). I was aware that periods stopped and women might have a few 'hot flushes' what ever those might be.

4 me: periods waxed and waned.  I would have 'normal' cycles then miss several periods.  As long between as 4-5 months [can't really remember].  At least the excruating pains I suffered for many years went.  Each was a proper bleed without the clots.  Until they became lighter then I went into nowt.  I carried protection for 5 years after, on an 'in case' basis  ::)

I had no other symptoms until after they stopped: my insteps itched after I took off my socks to step into my evening bath.  I also had itching down my back and a kind of 'misty glow' from base of neck to my waist which lasted a few months.

Then I got VA  ::)

It is said that we should wait until 12-14 months B4 thinking that we have reached menopause: literally the last period: however, Mother Nature can throw in that curved ball so we have to begin counting all over again  :(  ::)

Andil

Re: Menstrual Experiences during perimenopause
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2024, 07:24:55 PM »

Thanks CLKD! Good to hear a different experience and thank you for sharing. Maybe next year will bring missed periods and more unpredictability again ;D sigh. Hopefully this thread will help others too  :)