Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Ovarian cysts  (Read 851 times)

SarahJayne

Ovarian cysts
« on: June 06, 2024, 06:00:02 PM »

Hi All,

I’m 54 and at least 1 year post menopause, although it’s complicated as an attempt with HRT seemed to mess my system up. But no periods now for at least 1 year. Still get hormonal migraines though.

Underwent an ultrasound in May, GP wanted to see what my fibroids were up to as I’d had some cystitis type problems in February and March which turned out to be VA causing bladder issues, 6 weeks of Ovestin and all gone away😊 Now using Ovestin whenever I need it. Also had a niggle on the left side so mentioned that to the technician.

Interestingly, one large fibroid has shrunk and one seems to have disappeared altogether, which I’m somewhat sceptical about.

Anyway, the scan showed a ‘suspicious multicystic adnexal lesion’ probably from the left ovary- from what I can understand it’s a mass with several cells one of which is 2.9cm x 1.8cm-I was diagnosed with PCOS 20+ years ago and have had cysts periodically that go away by themselves. CA125 was 28, so all good there.

I have no pain, no discomfort, no nothing. I wouldn’t even know it was there if it wasn’t for the scan- which I know can be a good thing. No history of any gynae cancers in my family.

But I’ve put on the 2 week cancer pathway- GP said it’s because the urgent appointments are a years wait.

I guess my question is should I be concerned? GP not overly helpful to be honest and she is the 5th one I’ve had to see regarding these problems- no continuity at our surgery.

One odd thing did happen though…about a week after the ultrasound, I was aware of the left side niggle on and off all day- that evening and this is a touch graphic- I passed a mucousy blob, maybe 2 tablespoons of fluid, clearing, no pink or red. After that, no more niggling on the left side.

Spent this afternoon feeling sick with worry. Don’t know where to turn, or what to expect now.

Anyone else experienced similar? Anything greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 06:19:28 PM by SarahJayne »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Ovarian cysts
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2024, 10:13:59 PM »

Hi! We all get worried about issues that could be something a lot worse than it probably is!  Where was the niggle being felt? 

Was the blob passed vaginally or from the bowel?

Your GP is correct to refer you as fast as possible due to the waiting lists across the UK.  By putting you onto the 2 week pathway: which may turn out to be 3-4 weeks : means less worry for you and a diagnosis sooner rather than later.

MayB write down your concerns to take to the appt., pretty much as you have told us.  Let us know how you get on. 

Dierdre

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2024, 07:49:52 AM »

I had a few ovarian cysts many years ago before post menopause and when they popped I would have sharp pain followed by a large amount of mucus.

SarahJayne

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2024, 08:05:39 AM »

CLKD- Niggle was felt around where left ovary is, but disappeared after mucus was passed vaginally.

Doing a little reading, it seems PCOS doesn’t disappear post menopause so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this is all I have.

Dierdre- thank you for that. I can’t help thinking this is what has happened to me. In which case, hopefully, it will sort itself out.

And I am going to grill the Gynae Consultant with many questions🥴

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2024, 08:20:04 AM »

Let us know how you get on.