Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Asthma and estrogen  (Read 562 times)

TJ1313

Asthma and estrogen
« on: June 03, 2024, 08:05:33 AM »

Hi there, sorry for the long post but has anyone else had to give up alcohol because it makes them feel like absolute rubbish? My cheeks and chin feel like they've been set on fire and hurt (not a hot flush) plus headaches and nausea too, and this is after only a few sips. I have also had to stop my HRT because after nearly 3 years I have figured out that it's making my asthma worse :'( I am also on the mini pill Norgeston which I will be coming off soon. I came off of my HRT for 4 weeks and my wheezing stopped within 2/3 days and I didnt need any inhaler for the rest of those 4 weeks. As soon as I put just half of a 25 patch after about an hour or so I started wheezing, I am at my wits end because my panic/anxiety, rage is coming back and I dont want to start the sertraline the Dr suggested as I am not depressed at all. Any ideas what this could be? I have tried gel and patch and both give me asthma symptoms, could it be some kind of intolerance and this is why my skin is reacting to alcohol? All this started last september around 2/3 weeks after having my coil removed? Not sure if thats anything to do with anything? It seems to be the estrogen thats effecting my asthma?

buffy26

Re: Asthma and estrogen
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2024, 09:37:44 AM »

Hi TJ1313,

Again its the female who suffers more!  I have become much more wheezy since commencing HRT, needing to increase the dose of the brown inhaler. It has been controlled now but I was not a sufferer of Asthma until I was put on HRT, and your post has highlighted this to me!

There is a direct link to Estrogen and allergy, particularly asthma it seems

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3537328/

Its a complex read, but it seems this maybe the issue and you may have to seek expert advice from either an Allergist or hormone expert, which I believe is an Endocrinologist

Good luck with this

PS/ A glass of wine now leaves me with an awful headache and I turn bright red!

TJ1313

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2024, 12:29:37 PM »

Thank you, I will have aread of those. I've had Asthma since I was around 10, I'm 52 this year and I've only had to use preventer inhalers when I have had bad cold/covid etc it mainly under control with my blue inhaler which I rarely use now, until the end of last year, it's crazy. I dont drink wine it's usually a small rum and coke or a fruity cider for me :) I have a festival next week and the thought of not being on HRT and feeling poop if I drink is a bit of a downer haha x I will live tho and hopefully not get into a rage with anyone haha x

buffy26

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2024, 05:35:51 PM »

ha, yes festivals are triggering I understand, crowds etc. Difficult one that, but on balance I think I would put the HRT as a priortity until you get to the bottom of it or maybe try something low alcohol? Not the same I know!

CrispyChick

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2024, 06:03:52 PM »

Possibly histamine intolerance.

Estrogen fuels histamine.

I'm on a drug for asthma called montelukast. It really good. Although some can get side affects in the mood dept. I've not needed my inhalers since starting montelukast. So might that be an option to allow you to stay on hrt??

I doubt it'll help the alcohol though. 😳

TJ1313

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2024, 06:33:10 PM »

Thank you x I'm not too fussed about the alcohol, I dont drink a lot really, just social occasions but just wondered why it was happening. I have read about histamine intolerance I did wonder if this was the case for the flushing and Asthma. I'm not doing too badly at the moment without HRT its just the anxiety at the moment, which just seems to be in the morning at the moment. No asthma symptoms at all since stoppping HRT, so will see how I go, maybe mention Montelukast to my Dr, the steroid inhalers didnt even work just seemed to make me worse so definately worth a try if I start HRT again x