Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Help! Terrified of Perimenopause  (Read 1207 times)

Nackydean

• First Flush
Help! Terrified of Perimenopause
« on: June 01, 2024, 11:01:15 PM »

I have been a member here for literally 9 minutes and I am desperately hoping to hear back from some like minded people.
I am about 7 years into the peri journey and have now gone my longest time since a period, 143 days. Why didn't anyone warn me about how harrowing this stage of life can be?!
My number 1 issue is anxiety, followed very closely by light headedness, body aches and pains, stifness, no libido, strange feelings in my head, teeth/gum issues, hair thinning yet sprouting in strange places, weight gain, absolutely zero tolerance for any bullshit, available to go from zero to 100 in a nano second....and that's not the complete list! I completely understand why there was such a high rate of women institutionalised at this stage of life in times gone by.
Oh and might I add, I am ON hrt. I'd hate to imagine how I would be if I weren't.
But my point of this post is, I would love to hear from ANYONE going through similar because atm I don't have anyone to go through this journey with me and I feel so alone and so scared. I have so many fearful thoughts every moment of every day. It would just be nice to chat with people in similar circumstances who may even be able to offer some advice.
Thank you for your time.
Come ride the wave with me 😆

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Help! Terrified of Perimenopause
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2024, 07:54:53 AM »

Morning.  Your symptoms sound typical of peri-menopause from where I"m sitting which kind of creep up  >:(

Which HRT regime are you using?

How R your periods overall?  Mine waxed and waned for years  ::)

Anxiety can become problematic due to hormonal upheaval.  HRT can ease symptoms. 

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2024, 08:43:54 AM »

Yes, most of us have or are going through similar, you're certainly not alone. As you still have meno symptoms you're not on enough oestrogen. What are you on now? I've had to increase twice because symptoms returned as my own production declined.

Sarahkins

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2024, 06:20:13 PM »

Hi Nackydean,

You are in good company here. I spend my entire day worrying over what my mysterious peri symptoms might be and taking beta blockers to trick myself into thinking I'm not anxious anymore.

Like you I have weird head pains/sensations, lightheadedness/feeling off balance, sudden incredible rage and lots of other things like night sweats, being unable to focus my eyes and feelings knackered/sick most of the time.

I'm not on any HRT as my blood test didn't show any hormonal imbalances (I'm aware that blood tests are quite unreliable for diagnosis too).

But last October I missed periods for 4 months and have really short cycles of about 20 days. I'm now over a week late and still not certain if this is perimenopause. I'm 42 so it's totally possible.

Anyway I relate to how scary this all is and I empathise about the anxiety. It's absolutely terrifying at times.
I've found that keeping busy is the only real way to distract myself from intrusive thoughts, but some days I'm too exhausted/foggy to get anything done and it gets the better of me.

Are you taking anything to help with anxiety?

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2024, 07:18:26 PM »

Yep.  Intermittent periods may well be peri-menopause.  The Change - does what it says on the tin ;-)

Anxiety levels may rise.  Many are juggling life: small children, teens, dependant relations .......

Sarahkins - what support do you have for the intrusive thoughts?  Keeping a diary to vent may help.  It cleared my brain!!

Propranolol really helped my anxiety surges.  Gentle exercises, sitting in the sun to top up VitD levels [many of us take supplements], simply sitting. Doing nowt. 

Sarahkins

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2024, 08:49:34 AM »

CLKD I'm attending counselling and have had quite a lot of CBT and therapy in the past, so I try to use some of the techniques I've been taught. Unfortunately HA has an incredible grip on me and is not like my other experiences of anxiety.

My body reacts very strongly to health anxiety which leaves me feeling genuinely ill (obviously this effect doesn't help!) I tend to lose whole night's sleep, can't eat and just generally end up actually unwell.

I've never seemed to manage to keep a diary. I do like making lists.

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2024, 10:17:29 AM »

Your meno symptoms aren't controlled by the oestrogen dose you're on but they might be if you increased it. Is there a reason not to see the gp about it? My anxiety was a meno symptom, it's completely controlled by hrt (though mine came with meno, if it's a long standing issue oestrogen may not cure it). For some libido returns with sufficient oestrogen, others need testosterone too.

Dierdre

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2024, 11:21:54 AM »

I have been a member here for literally 9 minutes and I am desperately hoping to hear back from some like minded people.
I am about 7 years into the peri journey and have now gone my longest time since a period, 143 days. Why didn't anyone warn me about how harrowing this stage of life can be?!
My number 1 issue is anxiety, followed very closely by light headedness, body aches and pains, stifness, no libido, strange feelings in my head, teeth/gum issues, hair thinning yet sprouting in strange places, weight gain, absolutely zero tolerance for any bullshit, available to go from zero to 100 in a nano second....and that's not the complete list! I completely understand why there was such a high rate of women institutionalised at this stage of life in times gone by.
Oh and might I add, I am ON hrt. I'd hate to imagine how I would be if I weren't.
But my point of this post is, I would love to hear from ANYONE going through similar because atm I don't have anyone to go through this journey with me and I feel so alone and so scared. I have so many fearful thoughts every moment of every day. It would just be nice to chat with people in similar circumstances who may even be able to offer some advice.
Thank you for your time.
Come ride the wave with me 😆

Sounds like your HRT dosage is too low, it's obviously not working.  What HRT are you taking, I'm sure someone will be able to advise you if you should be having a bleed or not.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2024, 11:48:31 AM »

Sarahkins - my phobia haunted me for 24/7, even in my dreams  >:(.  I became unable to eat or leave the house  :-\

Appropriate anti-anixety medication helped a lot, as did betablockas from 2002-2020. 

What's to be terrified about? 

Sarahkins

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2024, 06:32:02 PM »

CLKD - I suppose in my case it's more accurate to call it death anxiety not health anxiety! Ultimately that's what I'm terrified of.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2024, 07:24:03 PM »

I think age and hormone upheavals can bring us to a halt regarding how long we have lived already.  Add not feeling well the brain can soon turn to how long we might have left!

When Mum reached 70 I worried a lot that she would die and soon: she's now 96  ::).  I try to live half a day at a time, looking 2 far ahead encourages anxiety surges.  When I have a lot to do I make lists to tick off as well as reminding me what needs doing.  So I can see how busy I have been ;-).

Be kind to yourself! 

bombsh3ll

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2024, 03:19:08 PM »

Hi, I'm sorry you're dealing with all that, I feel like a bit of a fraud myself as I plan to completely bypass the perimenopause with continuous combined contraceptive pill use, but the one thing I can totally relate to is the complete loss of tolerance for any BS!

I think that's nature's gift to us as we reach maturity, it's about decentering the male gaze and no longer giving a flying duck about what others think.

Have you tried or considered any androgen replacement though? You mentioned low libido and sometimes it can really be the missing link in our wellbeing.

Anyway you are in good company here.