Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT if no real symptoms  (Read 585 times)

ABCloud

• First Flush
HRT if no real symptoms
« on: June 01, 2024, 04:13:13 PM »

Hi all
I am 48 and was previously on antidepressants for around 10 years. I came off them last year over a really long time but suffered horrid anxiety and depression after about 4 months off.
After 6 months of not taking anything I went back to the GP and asked to go back on the AD.’s. She was happy to prescribe them to me but asked if I had thought about trying HRT as I could be peri menopausal.
I had spoken to a few friends about it but still have fairly regular periods and don’t have any hot flashes or sweats etc (in fact nothing that I would call troubling really except anxiety and depression - which I have had anyway for years and more aches and pains) so hadn’t thought about it.
I said I would try it but also start sertraline too.
Fast forward 2 months on sertraline and I feel back to my old self and didn’t try the sequential HRT. I’m a healthy weight, I run and weight train and eat reasonably well but I feel like maybe I am missing out on something?
I have just started my period this morning (at day 22) and think shall I try it for 3 months and see? I’m fed up of reading about pros and cons and can’t find anything on people starting HRT with no real peri symptoms so don’t know what to do.
Just after some advice on people’s experiences if you didn’t really have any symptoms.
Thanks for listening

sheila99

Re: HRT if no real symptoms
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2024, 04:47:41 PM »

I think I'd leave it on the back burner for now. As you know long term it protects your heart and bones but as you have no symptoms you probably have an adequate supply of your own oestrogen for now. Perhaps read up on symptoms and consider it again if you get any. Not everyone has flushes. Too much oestrogen can give you symptoms that are just as bad as those from oestrogen deficiency, including anxiety.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT if no real symptoms
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2024, 06:12:39 PM »

Not everyone requires HRT.  I have used anti-depressant medication since 1988 and have suffered panic attacks since the age of 3  :'(.  Am generally stable on my regime and have an anti-anxiety tablet to take when necessary.

Apart from a few cold flushes and skin itchiness after my periods finally stopped and other than vaginal atrophy, I haven't needed HRT as such.  Periods waxed and waned for several years, I knew it was The Change so never worried.

R your anxiety symptoms cyclical?  I would sob the night B4 a bleed began, even if a period wasn't due  ::)

Do read the 'bladder issues' and atrophy threads.  4warned is 4armed  ;)

Ask away.  I wouldn't think of HRT unless symptoms were debilitating.