Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Heartburn  (Read 1211 times)

Jules

Re: Heartburn
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2024, 09:58:15 PM »

I've only been off the omeprazole a week and the heartburn is back. Gaviscon doesnt help. And its prolonged. I am sat up because I cant go to bed. It was under controle whilst taking omprazole. The only trigger I can think of is that I had a larger evening meal and had a zero beer.

Gnatty

« Reply #16 on: Today at 05:26:20 AM »

Jules could it be a temporary rebound effect from stopping the PPI? I think this can happens sometimes and then it settles back down. x

Pauline67

« Reply #17 on: Today at 06:35:02 AM »

I've only been off the omeprazole a week and the heartburn is back. Gaviscon doesnt help. And its prolonged. I am sat up because I cant go to bed. It was under controle whilst taking omprazole. The only trigger I can think of is that I had a larger evening meal and had a zero beer.

Hi Jules, I know how you feel, same thing happened to me.  Ive had horrid heartburn for over 6 months now and been on Omeprazole off and on.  I finished my last tablets about 1 week ago and yes its back.  The burning and constant coughing and a pain in the middle of my back. 

Does anyone know if you can take Omeprazole over a long period of time?

Jules

« Reply #18 on: Today at 08:46:05 AM »

It could be rebound. I was getting this before I started daily omeprazole in January 2023. I've had 2 gastroscopies with biopsies,  firstly diagnosed with Barratts and told to take a maintenance dise of omeprazole basically forevet, then after the second one and a different doctor whom i saw last werk, told I don't have Barratts and I didn't need to take the meds if I didn't require them and that there are associated risks taking them long term. But it lasted hours last night, I couldn't lie down, gaviscon was ineffective so I eventually took omeprazole and it did settle though I feel sore today. It cannot be good to have acid burning at your oesophagus like that. I'm still not totally reassured with the diagnosis as I had conflicting info. I think the risks of long term use is osteoporosis.   I've asked my GP if I can try a lower dose for a while till I adjust if in fact I can adjust
Pages: 1 [2]