Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hi from new member!  (Read 955 times)

Mrspep1970

• First Flush
Hi from new member!
« on: May 30, 2024, 05:26:35 PM »

I was sent the link to this site by my GP and, so far, I'm finding the information useful.

I've been treated for GERD for 16 months. Had a gastroscopy 2 weeks ago, which was clear. I'm currently on uti number 3 in 4 months so, today, have been referred to a urologist 🙄

Having read the forums, I'm now of the opinion both these problems may be connected to the menopause 🤷‍♀️

Watch this space ...

jaypo

Re: Hi from new member!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2024, 06:20:44 PM »

Hi and welcome to the forum.
UTIs go hand in hand with menopause as do a few dozen other symptoms,gerd also.We seem to become less tolerant to certain foods as we age,I find taking ginger capsules & camomile tablets help hugely with my reflux. Have you ever done a food diary,it can help to pick out the foods that cause the issue x

Mrspep1970

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2024, 06:35:52 PM »

I've not kept a food diary but I know what usually triggered my reflux. I've not actually had reflux for several months now, but the stomach discomfort is still there, hence the gastroscopy to rule out ulcers.

I pretty much don't drink alcohol now 😔, caffeine has never agreed with me so I drink green or peppermint tea, dairy is rare, white bread too. I got a shock last week when I got really painful indigestion after eating chocolate 🤯

I've never suffered from uti's before, so when a very understanding GP suggested multiple uti's might be menopause related it was an eye opener. This has now progressed to a urology referral so I'm not sure whether to pursue the menopause angle with the GP now or wait to see what happens with the referral.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2024, 07:12:33 PM »

Welcome along! 

Have urine samples been sent by your GP to a Lab to grow any 'bugs'?  It sounds like Vaginal atrophy from where I'm sitting so do read the 'bladder issues' and vaginal atrophy threads on the Forum.  Make notes ;-)

Your GP could have prescribed appropriate treatment so obviously isn't on the ball with regards VA.  Whilst antibiotic treatment will ease initial inflammation the vagina needs oestrogen treatment 2 plump up the tissues etc. 

Let us know how you get on!  Keeping a. mood/food/symptom diary can. help chart symptoms.  What have your periods been up to?

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains including hiatus hernia and reflux. 

Mrspep1970

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2024, 07:28:22 PM »

Yes, bacteria found in all 3 cases 🙄 I've been treated for H Pylori too, with a biopsy taken as part of my gastroscopy to recheck.

Oestrogen gel was mentioned last time, which makes we wonder why this isn't the first course of action over urology referral.

Think I might make an appointment with the extremely helpful GP I spoke to when I had the second uti and talk through what you've suggested as she seems quite clued up.

Thank you x
« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 07:46:22 PM by Mrspep1970 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2024, 07:40:13 AM »

There mayB a Nurse Practitioner at the Surgery to talk to if you can't speak to that GP.

Let us know how you get on.  U could of course ring and ask for VA treatment, you don't need blood tests or examinations.

Ayesha

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2024, 12:56:03 PM »

There are posts in this thread you might find helpful if after all the tests it turns out to be Vaginal Atrophy (GSM). Knowledge really is power when discussing this condition with medics.

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,64837.msg895647.html#msg895647
« Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 01:00:32 PM by Ayesha »

BermudaQueen

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2024, 07:45:47 AM »

Sorry to hear you’re suffering - I had the same, constant bladder issues and cystitis, even had a camera in the bladder to check what it was - nothing!

But then I sat down with a lovely practice nurse who was really clued up on the menopause, and said she’d been doing research, and felt that it was the VA that was causing such dryness and irritation, it was then causing irritation to the bladder.

She prescribed Vagifem And although it’s not a miracle cure for me, combined with the YES Vaginal Moisturiser, I find I’ve not had any bladder issues since then 🤞

I did try other moisturisers, but I just found they sting and burn, so it’s definitely worth thinking about a moisturiser of some sort to try and ease the discomfort.

Obviously, if you have UTI’s they’ll need treating, but it’s worth alleviating the dryness!