Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Change of HRT  (Read 685 times)

Dazl20

Change of HRT
« on: May 27, 2024, 08:13:44 PM »

Help… doctor changed me from
Evorel sequi patches to estraderm mx patch and provera tablets. Only been on them
A week and had a meltdown at weekend. Haven’t been like this since pre-hrt. Would the change in my prescription cause this or would it just be I’ve had a really crap day? Other patches were working away fine but apparently now I’ve been on for 18 months I don’t need the combined patch.

Dotty

Re: Change of HRT
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2024, 07:39:16 AM »

If the other patches were working fine then there’s no need to change .

NightNurse

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2024, 08:20:41 AM »

Agree - if it's working, why change? What was the discussion with your healthcare professional and what did they say were the expected benefits of this change? Was it simply a supply issue? Not all patches are the same in structure and absorption even though the same dose so this may be something to consider.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2024, 09:36:22 AM »

You can stay on sequi forever if you choose to do so (slightly higher risk of endometrial cancer) but 18 months in it's unlikely you're meno so although you can try conti there's no need to. And if you want conti why wouldn't you use evoorel conti as you know you tolerate it well? I don't see the point in changing unless you need to increase oestrogen too?

Dazl20

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2024, 11:04:49 AM »

I had a menopause check by the nurse who asked how things were I said yep all symptoms under control, sometimes get a bit angry but it’s like PMT. She said she would refer me to the doctor, when I saw her she just said she was changing onto the estradem mx 75 patch and provera tablet. It not been on it a week and seriously could’ve been hospitalised I was off the scale crazy. 😰😰 would this happen after only a week? 😢

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2024, 12:58:23 PM »

Probably something in either estraderm or provera you don't get on with. And perhaps the dose is too high as your symptoms were under control on the lower dose. Assuming you still have cycle of your own pmt symptoms wouldn't be unexpected. Perhaps it would be better to go back to evorel sequi? If there comes a time when you need to increase the dose it might be better to use a higher strength evorel patch and perhaps try utrogestan rather than provera.

merrygoround

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2024, 01:13:28 PM »

I had a menopause check by the nurse who asked how things were I said yep all symptoms under control, sometimes get a bit angry but it’s like PMT. She said she would refer me to the doctor, when I saw her she just said she was changing onto the estradem mx 75 patch and provera tablet. It not been on it a week and seriously could’ve been hospitalised I was off the scale crazy. 😰😰 would this happen after only a week? 😢
It's entirely possible for provera to do this in under a week. 15% ish of women cannot tolerate progesterone easily, we get crazy PMT symptoms with it.
For me, provera put me in bed within 24 hours, I was very ill both physically and mentally, crying non stop and panicking for no reason without any ease off unless I slept which was actually easy to do because I was only half awake anyway.
I knew if I had to live like that I'd likely kill myself as the better choice, so I dropped the dose from 10mg to 5mg, but it was almost as bad. Three times I tried it, every time it absolutely floored me.
I wasn't given a choice, like you I've been told what I'll take and switched without my opinion sought on the matter.
I'm learning the choices from this forum and I'm being more assertive with the doctors which obviously doesn't go down well and it's not easy to do.
I was on Evorel Conti for a while, I was already a year post meno, I bled so they gave me Evorel 50 and provera so I could have a planned bleed every month, it was disasterous. Evorel Conti made me weepy after 10 weeks, but nothing like the reaction I had from provera.
Now I take tibolone, happily.
We are all different, but many many people react badly to the progestins we are given, I turn literally into a crazy person and I could harm myself imo, my husband was really worried about me and he got me to stop taking them when the GP said to continue (she didn't listen to me at all).
My advice is to try Evorel Conti as others have said, I'm just long winded about it  ;D

Dazl20

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2024, 04:33:03 PM »

I think I’ll just go back on what I know worked. I have around 6 months supply so I’ll try get docs appointment and tell them I had to go back to Evorel. Thanks guys for taking the time to reply. I am so grateful

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2024, 10:16:02 AM »

Bounced

bombsh3ll

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2024, 04:54:22 PM »

I can't believe anyone is still prescribing provera for routine use in MHT!

Why not the evorel conti patch if that formulation is well tolerated and you are just changing from cyclic to continuous?