Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Dexa - stupid qn  (Read 447 times)

Hollyboll

Dexa - stupid qn
« on: April 25, 2024, 05:39:56 PM »

Hi kind peeps

I’ve a dexa scan early tomo. It’s unclear to me why I’ve been referred, or actually what it is. This wouldn’t usually worry me, as I trust the referring consultant, but I’m struggling atm and feeling a bit over-poked/prodded with various investigations and hospitals already this week.

Could someone who’s had these give me a very quick headline of what it is, how it works, and any top practical tips … (thanks to another thread and poster I wore a cardigan to breast clinic the other day. Top tip!)

Xx

Wrensong

Re: Dexa - stupid qn
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2024, 06:32:26 PM »

Hi Hollyboll, the DEXA is a quick, non-invasive scan with v low dose radiation.  Measures bone density, usually spine & hip, to see whether we have any osteopenia/osteoporosis.  Lie down for it & a scanning arm passes over the body while we lie still.  Not claustrophobic like MRI & only takes a few mins.  I've had several as I do have osteopenia.  Totally understand you've had enough pulling about, but this is really just a lie down with no exam involved, so I don't think you'll find it intrusive.  You'll need to avoid wearing any metal & they'll give you a gown if you don't have suitable clothing.

Wx
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 06:34:34 PM by Wrensong »

Hollyboll

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2024, 06:39:39 PM »

Fabulous thanks lovely wrensong; that’s perfect level info (& just what I needed to hear!). Oh and yes I hate the mri claustrophobia so glad this isn’t!
Muchos appreciated xx
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 06:41:16 PM by Hollyboll »

Wrensong

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2024, 06:58:57 PM »

No probs.  Hope not far for you to travel for it & you get to unwind & forget about hospitals over the weekend.

Just been looking at the links & recommendations you made on my insomnia thread.  Fab thank you.
Wx

SallyPickle

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2024, 07:38:11 AM »

Sorry I’m a bit late to the party but I hope your scan went ok?  How long before you get your results?  It’s good you’ve had a scan as you’ve got a baseline now.  I know the consultant told me that an oestrogen level of 300-400 is the level to aim for for bone protection if that’s any help.  Take care.