Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Advice needed please  (Read 472 times)

misskh

Advice needed please
« on: April 29, 2024, 05:08:39 PM »

I've a post in post menopause re having UTI's but would like some advise as to using HRT with the infection plus other supplements.

As said I've a stubborn UTI, which I've had symptoms of for most of this month, given a 3 day course of Nitrofurantoin last Monday, symptoms settled a bit by Thursday but then on Saturday flared up so much worse.

I got an appointment at the local MUI and a dip test confirmed there were Nitrates, blood and protein present..

Antibiotics given inorder to prevent it getting worse, Dr sent the sample over to the lab to have it tested for exactly which 'bugs' are causing the infection.

I did a reload a few weeks ago due to thinking I'd had a flare up using vagifem internally and Estriol externally, hoping it would help I also started on D mannose as I've heard this can help towards good bladder health.

Now due to the infection I've stopped using the DM powder as I'm not sure whether it's OK to take it, antibiotics and HRT all at the same time, is it best to let the infection clear up then look at restarting, more with the DM powder than the HRT.

I've also stopped the reload for now but will continue with the normal 2 x weekly dose, although not going to lie inserting the applicator is becoming more difficult as everything seems really small and tight down there, I wonder if it's possible to scratch the vagina entrance with the applicator causing problems, other than that I've no idea what's causing the UTI's in the first instance, no sex, and wondered if its possible a VA flare up could have caused it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 07:30:42 PM »

The way to find out if you have a urine infection is for a fresh urine sample to be sent to a Lab for growing, so that the appropriate antibiotic can be prescribed.  If there is infection 3 days treatment is not long enough!   Broad spectrum ABs can ease symptoms but won't replace the oestrogen being lost.  Let us know if it shows anything!

What the dip stick shows is common for many of us! 

Vaginal atrophy mimics repeated urine infection-type symptoms really really well. 

Use the VA treatment *every* night for as long as symptoms are troublesome, twice a week isn't enough. Many have to use very night for Life, as well as a mositorisor on the outer vulva areas.  D Mannose may help, as will keeping the body hydrated.  The 1st pee of the morning is probably dark, as we drink/eat during the day urine should be straw coloured.  Any lighter and the body is too hydrated. 

When I get the need2P symptoms I take 2 "nurofen" 3 times a day.

I've never scratched my vagina with the applicator, mayB put some KY jelly on the end and insert as far as is comfy.  No need to put it too high initially until the vaginal walls are supple.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2024, 09:22:57 PM »

I take d mannose everyday and have never stopped it while taking antibiotics. I also use vagifem and continued using that also.

I think its fine to continue with both, I wouldn't have thought ladies would have to stop hrt everytime they have a course of antibiotics, but if you ring a pharmacist up they will be able to advise you.

I also use the below website to check drug interactions.

https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 09:28:02 PM by VioletAquarius »

misskh

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 10:19:26 PM »

Thank you...

I've taken my vagifem/Estriol for tonight.

Talking of pharmacist I signed into my Patient access account tonight to check when my next prescription was due and noticed that I've a telephone consultation tomorrow with a PNC clinical pharmacist.

Was a bit surprised, I had no idea I had an appointment booked as I didn't make it so once I've found out what they want I'll ask them about the HRT.