Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Bleeding on HRT  (Read 2836 times)

Ems1979

• First Flush
Bleeding on HRT
« on: April 12, 2024, 08:15:49 PM »

Hello I’m new on here, looking for some help. I’ve been on HRT since October, been bleeding most of the time since starting it. Had a review with a nurse today and she wants me to see a doctor asap. I’m now very worried! Anyone help 😭

DottyD68

Re: Bleeding on HRT
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2024, 08:38:26 PM »

Hi Ems,

As I understand it, bleeding can be quite common when starting a new HRT regime for the first 6 months (I am experiencing the same 2.5 months into a new HRT regime). After this time it is standard to investigate to check that it is the HRT that is causing the problem and nothing else. I have several friends who got checked out for bleeding after 6 months and everything was ok. They may/should put you on the 2 week pathway to get  scan. Try not to be alarmed by this. It is the standard procedure.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2024, 08:42:09 PM »

Can you tell us exactly what you're on? Is it sequi or conti? Are you peri or meno (1 year without a bleed)? If it started with hrt it's far more likely to be that than anything sinister.

Ems1979

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2024, 08:48:36 PM »

I’m on sequi patches, had blood tests that showed I was well into menopause.

Ems1979

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2024, 09:26:28 AM »

DottyD68 Thanks for your reply! Made me feel a little easier 😌

shrosphirelass

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2024, 10:01:11 AM »

Bleeding is really common for women on HRT. I have had intermittent bleeding over several years which has been investigated many times and nothing sinister found.

Try not to worry, it is still early days for your new regime. Also, if you're post menopausal they may consider putting you on a conti regime which may help.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2024, 07:33:10 PM »

I’m on sequi patches, had blood tests that showed I was well into menopause.

Hi ems1979

:welcomemm:

Blood tests are no indication of where you are in menopause ie whether you are peri or post-menopausal.

Can you tell us how old you are and what your cycle was doing in the months leading up to starting HRT? How long between periods, how heavy the bleed etc? As sheila indicated, you are not considered post-menopausal until you have been 12 months without a bleed (if you are not on mini pill etc).

Is there any pattern to the bleeding? Did it start almost immediately? Is there a particular phase of the hRT where it happens more or is heavier?

It is more likely that the nurse doesn't know enough or is erring on the side of caution in referring you. Depending when in October you started the HRT you are only just up to the 6 month mark anyway.

Please try not to worry and just go along with the investigation if there is to be one.....doc may suggest trying something different....

Hurdity x

Scottish lass

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2024, 08:07:31 PM »

I have light bleeding with no pattern on hrt patches and vagifem and my GP sent me for pelvic and trans vaginal ultrasound. It was a quick easy pain free process and the radiographer was able to put my mind at rest that there was nothing sinister. It is still ongoing and the randomness is doing my head in but that will be another chat with my GP.
I know the thought of any referral for testing makes us automatically think the worst but look at it as a positive you are being looked after, listened too and this is what should be happening for the symptoms you have . xx

Ems1979

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2024, 03:31:54 PM »

Hurdity, I’m 45 in a few weeks, I hadn’t bled for a year before I went to see the doctor. I didn’t start bleeding not long after starting HRT so it could be that I suppose. I’ve had two weeks that I haven’t bled, most of the time it’s like a period. There’s no pattern to it either🙄

Hollyboll

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2024, 05:13:06 PM »

Hi - sorry you're worried.

As Hurdity said, there's no blood test that shows where we are in meno - just like age has very little to do with it - any doc who suggested that knows even less than I do (and I'm not a doctor) - I found out much too late for me that my GP knew about as or a little more ignorant than many GPs out there!

Similarly, not bleeding for year isn't an absolute to being meno, it's a guideline. 

More importantly, as others have said, bleeding on HRT is very common - within the first 6 (ish) months of starting or of any dose change and usually only needs investigating if it's prolonged past that or very heavy. 

So it's easy to say but it doesn't sound a huge worry.  See how it goes with the doctor and - as Scottish lass says - if they refer you to for a scan, that's a good thing to check there's nothing untoward so you can be reassured and carry on.  I've had 3 scans in the time I've been on HRT, and each one was done to reassure the doctor (and me) that all is good, before anyone started talking about changing any HRT. 

Hope that helps xx
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 08:51:51 PM by Hollyboll »

SwimyAlice

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2024, 01:47:05 PM »

Hi I had bleeding probs for 18 months - did my nut in! Had an ultrasound (small fibroid) and have been waiting to see gyny for months and months. Thought I'd experiment and I have now come off HRT AND... the bleeding stopped within a week! Yay feel loads better all round. Now using adaptogens plus evening primrose/starflower and healthy diet/exercise to manage symptoms. It's going v well so far...
Get checked out but don't stay on HRT if you feel it's not working. You could try a few weeks break and go back to it again. Ask you Dr!
Otherwise check out Dr Stacy Sims (google it or here's the book link below - it's a revelation)!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Next-Level-Kicking-Crushing-Menopause-ebook/dp/B091JVW6QR/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=8jFaP&content-id=amzn1.sym.f4bf6248-c25e-4846-ab32-07f8b3e1cc4d%3Aamzn1.symc.afd86303-4a72-4e34-8f6b-19828329e602&pf_rd_p=f4bf6248-c25e-4846-ab32-07f8b3e1cc4d&pf_rd_r=VP6CPVH70J7507M2ST7V&pd_rd_wg=T2Rin&pd_rd_r=819fee9b-3a36-469b-9d31-f9e55470dac5&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

Alice x
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 02:37:32 PM by SwimyAlice »