Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Help on how to apply Estriol cream  (Read 2622 times)

ACS2010

Help on how to apply Estriol cream
« on: April 11, 2024, 03:46:04 PM »

Hi ladies
My GP has prescribed Estriol cream for some VA issues I’m experiencing. I know you can use the applicator to insert the cream internally, but most of my issues are external (itchy outer labia, soreness and splits in the perineal area and around anus). Any tips on putting the cream on for maximum effect in these areas. I’m so sore and itchy I need relief and worried just internal application won’t be enough. By the way, I’ve been tested/treated for thrush and had negative swabs etc so my GP agrees it’s not that. Thanks in advance.

Ayesha

Re: Help on how to apply Estriol cream
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 03:58:53 PM »

Smear it on with your finger covering as much of the area you want to treat.
Its trial and error on how much you feel you need, you will know soon enough once you start to feel normal again. Such an easy treatment to use!

ACS2010

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 06:14:18 PM »

Thanks Ayesha. It doesn’t seem you can overdose on this so I’ll make sure get it on the hotspots as well as the usual recommendation on the instructions.
Stay well.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 07:48:12 PM »

I use vagifem internally and estriol (weaker version ) externally. When I just used the estriol cream using the applicator quite a lot seeped out which made the outside areas fairly moist. I'd say there were benefits to doing both.

ACS2010

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2024, 09:15:35 AM »

Thanks shropshirelass. Can I ask what your symptoms were before you used it and did it work, in how long? I’m going through a bit of a bumpy ride trying to fix my issues right now and interested to hear people’s experiences. Thanks in advance

Tulip256

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2024, 09:34:45 AM »

I would be wary of applying too much. When I used it externally I got a funny lump appear on my labia. It went away when I took a break from using it and I now only use a tiny amount every other day.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2024, 11:20:42 AM »

Mainly dryness. I did actually get worse after I started to use vagifem and changed for a couple of months to estriol cream. I had a lot of discomfort for a few weeks whilst the treatment took effect. It felt like burning and a generally very uncomfortable feeling internally and a dryness inside and out.

I switched back to vagifem when symptoms improved as I found the estriol applicator huge (I was using the weaker cream so you need quite a bit) and very messy. I continued to use estriol twice a week externally but only a small amount. 2 tubes lasted me over 6 months. I did get flare ups but my current regime of vagifem 3 x a week and estriol externally 2 x week seems to keep things ok.

Good luck. I think there is a thread called the burning club that you may want to look at.

ACS2010

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2024, 03:37:57 PM »

Thanks for all the info. Will check out the burning club thread.

lor.com

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2024, 12:36:05 PM »

Following with interest as I started using it yesterday too. I’ve discarded applicator looked like an instrument of torture! So far so good.

ACS2010

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2024, 03:18:13 PM »

The applicator isn’t as bad as you think, I suppose you only need it if you need the cream higher up. If you’re used to tampons you’ll be ok. Cleaning it is a different matter 😂
You can get another from the pharmacy if you change your mind.

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2024, 07:23:12 PM »

Please note there are two different strengths of estriol cream ( which used to be branded) - one previously called Gynest cream is 0.01 % estriol, the weaker one, and comes with a largeish applicator (a bit thicker than the old Vagifem applicator but not as long) which can be used liberally. This is what I use.

The other is TEN TIMES  STRONGER, previously called Ovestin which is 0.1% and comes with a small applicator (I've never used this) so is designed to be used more sparingly, I guess.

Hurdity x

ACS2010

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2024, 11:49:53 AM »

Thanks for the info. I just checked mine and it’s the 0.01% version, which is a relief as I’m being quite liberal in these early stages to get this discomfort under control.