Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Is it VA if my only symptom is very frequent UTI's?  (Read 10458 times)

Turkish delight

Is it VA if my only symptom is very frequent UTI's?
« on: April 09, 2024, 02:10:57 PM »

Hi gals,

So I've been getting several UTI's for the past 2 years. Had a scan showing I'm not completely emptying.

Wondering whether I'm barking up the wrong tree thinking it could also be VA. As this is the only symptom I have had.

What do we think, VA or no VA? I've been on O gel and Utro for years but not used my vagifem for years too.

Thanks in advance to any helpers.
TD

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Is it VA if my only symptom is very frequent UTI's?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2024, 03:38:55 PM »

What did the GP suggest having seen the results of the Scan?  Were you referred elsewhere for further treatment and advice?

Were the symptoms a true infection, i.e. fresh urine sample sent 2 a lab for growth?  VA mimics repeated urine infection-type symptoms really really well.  mayB try vagifem and ovestin for 3 months 2 C whether symptoms ease?

Turkish delight

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2024, 04:11:22 PM »

Hia, and thanks CLKD,

I haven't been posting on here for some years but I can never forget you  :D
You are the VA answers Queen hands down!

So I'm going to see the urologist next week, see what they say. I have started Vagifem today after reading some of your advice in this group achieve.
I don't have any external vag symptoms so don't think I need to get anything else for now.

BTW What does CLKD stand for if it's not too rude to ask?

TD
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2024, 06:43:36 PM »

My 'handle' is my secret ;-)

Has your urine been tested to check for a real infection?  Could low oestrogen be the cause of the bladder not emptying?  For years I've had to press around my belly button to get completely empty.  I can't feel but do hear when the flow has stopped  :-\

orrla

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2024, 06:52:33 PM »

Hi!

..how old are you?

If over 60, it's VA.  Try, get Estring ring..  Shortages currently, no equivalets, but it wirks if yoy can put your hands on it and stuff it in..

I can't believe how badly NHS works!  It's like Meno2!.. woman certain age shows up and they don't know! ..WTF they teach them there at Unis? ..how to treat Prostrate?! 😡

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2024, 10:12:54 PM »

Hi gals,

So I've been getting several UTI's for the past 2 years. Had a scan showing I'm not completely emptying.

Wondering whether I'm barking up the wrong tree thinking it could also be VA. As this is the only symptom I have had.

What do we think, VA or no VA? I've been on O gel and Utro for years but not used my vagifem for years too.

Thanks in advance to any helpers.
TD
Recurrent UTIs was my main symptom and I blamed for them for years before I first heard of VA on this forum from CLKD

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2024, 10:16:09 PM »

Hi!

..how old are you?

If over 60, it's VA.  Try, get Estring ring..  Shortages currently, no equivalets, but it wirks if yoy can put your hands on it and stuff it in..

I can't believe how badly NHS works!  It's like Meno2!.. woman certain age shows up and they don't know! ..WTF they teach them there at Unis? ..how to treat Prostrate?! 😡
No need to be over 60. It started for me at about 46 but took me until about 56 to get a VA diagnosis.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2024, 06:11:54 AM »

Hi Turkish delight. Good to hear from you  :)

I agree that VA can often cause utis but this is due to the skin becoming thin so letting germs more easily into the urethra. If you have incomplete emptying this is different and is caused by the urine in the bladder becoming stale although vaginal atrophy treatment may still be needed. Have you had the uro dynamic testing as well as the scan? I hope you get an answer as to what's causing the problem. https://www.dorsethealthcare.nhs.uk/patients-and-visitors/our-services-hospitals/physical-health/bladder-and-bowel-continence-services/incomplete-emptying-bladder

Taz x

Turkish delight

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2024, 09:08:59 AM »

My 'handle' is my secret ;-)

Has your urine been tested to check for a real infection?  Could low oestrogen be the cause of the bladder not emptying?  For years I've had to press around my belly button to get completely empty.  I can't feel but do hear when the flow has stopped  :-\

Fair enough CLKD, your handle is your secret superpower :)

My urine culture when done(which isn't always as so frequent)is what they call "an uncomplicated uti) it's always Ecoli. I do wipe front to back and do all the other basic things like cotton underwear. I never had one single UTI ever, until I became menopausal, they stared at about age 53.

And yes to answer your other question, it actually could be low/fluctuating estrogen causing my UTI's, the pennies keep dropping, so thanks for helping me.
X

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2024, 03:49:02 PM »

Hopefully you'll get some answers soon as to why your bladder is not emptying properly.

Taz x

Turkish delight

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2024, 04:35:30 PM »

Thanks Taz,

I haven't had uro dynamic testing, not sure what that is or what it involves, but going to look it up, thank you.
Did have an ultrasound of the whole of my abdomen and was told I was not emptying but not why. The sonographer said it's very common.

TD

pepperminty

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2024, 05:03:52 PM »

What causes a hypertonic pelvic floor?
There is no one defining cause of a hypertonic pelvic floor; however, there are several activities which can lead to the muscles tightening up. As an example, many people who spend a lot of time working out and holding onto their core muscles can develop tension in their pelvic floor because they keep these muscles switched ‘on’ without giving the muscles times to relax and let go.

People who have a history of holding on to their bladder and/or bowels can also develop tension in their pelvic floor muscles. For instance, some people feel uncomfortable using public toilets so may hold on to their bladders for hours until they come back home from school, work or social activities. The act of holding on means the pelvic floor muscles are tightening to prevent the loss of control.

As high levels of stress, fear or anxiety can cause muscles to reflexively tighten, these factors can lead to a hypertonic pelvic floor. Consider how a puppy behaves when it is afraid—it runs away with its tail between its legs. Similarly, humans have a primitive response during fight or flight where the tailbone tucks under. The pelvic floor muscles are attached to the tailbone and this causes the muscles to shorten.

Pelvic health and abdominal health conditions can also result in hypertonicity of the pelvic floor. For example, many women with endometriosis can develop tense pelvic floor muscles due to the chronic pain and inflammation in the pelvis. Similarly, a history of irritable bowel syndrome with abdominal pain and cramping can result in pelvic floor muscle pain and cramping. Other conditions linked to a hypertonic pelvic floor include interstitial cystitis, pudendal neuralgia and vulvodynia.

Birth trauma and scar tissue is another cause of tightness in the pelvic floor muscles. Women who experience perineal tearing or vaginal tearing may be at a higher risk, as the pain and scarring can cause the pelvic floor muscles to tighten protectively. One-sided pelvic floor tears can cause the opposite side of the pelvic floor to tighten due to overactivity.

It is crucial to identify the cause of the pelvic floor hypertonicity in each individual. A continence  physiotherapist will be best equipped to do this.

What are the signs and symptoms of a hypertonic pelvic floor?
The typical sign of a hypertonic or non-relaxing pelvic floor is pelvic muscle pain; however, there are a variety of signs and symptoms, including:

constipation
incomplete emptying of the bowels
straining when emptying the bowels
pelvic pain
low back pain
hip pain
coccyx pain
painful sex
vaginismus
urinary incontinence
incomplete emptying of the bladder
slow flow of urine
hesitancy or delayed start of urine stream
urinary urgency
urinary frequency, and
painful urination.

Hope this is of interest

PMx

Turkish delight

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2024, 06:48:03 PM »

Wow, thanks for looking in to this for me PM  :-*

Very interesting, out of those I know I have IBS and probably my autoimmune condition which causes inflammation
may play a part, which I hadn't thought about.

I have an appmnt at hosp urology on Monday, I have to push them even more than before bcz last time they didn't
even attempt to explain anything.

TD