Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Perimenopause or is there something else going on?  (Read 7754 times)

jemharris

• First Flush
Perimenopause or is there something else going on?
« on: March 19, 2024, 10:46:21 AM »

Hello, I just turned 49 on March 3. Open till January my cycles were pretty normal and uneventful and February. My period came early and only lasted two days (it was very light). Then only a few short weeks later on March 2. I once again got my period it was very light, and dark. As of March 20 I still have it, it is extremely light, however, I’m a little concerned. I have a doctors appointment next week, but wanted to know if anyone else had experience this. I have been reading that the start of menopause is usually marked with a very heavy periods. However, mine has been the opposite.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Perimenopause or is there something else going on?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 12:38:06 PM »

:hbday: :cake:

:welcomemm:  it sounds like peri-menopause, those years when our bodies light up with various odd and weird symptoms  >:(  ::)

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  Make a list of what to discuss with the GP.

My periods were heavy, painful and clotty for years until peri-menopause when they became lighted: waxed and waned for a few years then disappeared .  Each of us is different so don't judge against others experiences.  Even now I sometimes get pre-menstrual aches and think "Not after all these years!" but I don't bleed.   ::)

Browse round.  Ask away. 

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 01:47:28 PM »

Sounds like peri to me too. All you can expect is that it will all go haywire.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 04:55:33 PM »

Or not  ;).

I have been lucky.  Periods waxed and waned then disappeared followed by a few hot flushes after a bath.  Over the nape and down my back, for a few months.  Restless legs cured by eating bananas regularly or using 'nurofen' when required. 

Do take advantage of the various health check options thrown our way from after age 50.  Puts those worries to bed.  Good exercise regime - we have threads about those.  Let us know how you get on jemharris

Dawnkelly1976

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 10:44:31 AM »

I’ve been very similar to you. I’m 47. Always had regular periods. Missed one last year then were normal again. Had a period in November. Then December 25th a very light bleed every day for 5 weeks just like spotting only enough for a panty liner. Went for blood tests all normal. Spoke to a lovely clinical practitioner and she went through everything with me. Checked my cervix. All was fine so said yes probably menopause. So since January 25 I’ve had nothing and then just came in last night back to a normal period for me just slightly heavier. So will see what happens next. I have no hot flushes or any other symptoms x

jemharris

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2024, 01:02:11 AM »

Hello again. Here is an update on my situation. I saw my family doctor who referred me for an internal and external ultrasound. The results - I have a fibroid, a polip (1.3 cm), and my uterine wall is thickening (1.5 cm).

I am awaiting an appt with a gynecologist which could take 2-3 months (I’m in Canada). I’m worried and pretty emotional. The polip and thickening could be signs of trouble.

Anyone with similar experience? Xx
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 01:09:42 AM by jemharris »

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2024, 09:28:58 AM »

If they thought it was anything sinister wouldn't you have got a more urgent appointment? Polyps are usually benign though both they are fibroids can cause bleeding. What time of your cycle was the scan? If it was before a period the thickness wouldn't be concerning but if it was after one or if you were meno it would.

Violetta808

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2024, 10:24:35 AM »

I think the stat is something like up to 80% of women will have fibroids at some point and most will have no idea they are there. Similar with polyps. I had a fibroid when I was 45 and peri and had it removed as it caused bleeding between periods.

Ultrasound can be quite inexact as they can’t really tell where endometrium ends and fibroids begin, and so you get a false reading for thick lining. I have also had this experience! Though your lining isn’t too thick if you are still having periods, as sheila99 says, and they’d have fast tracked you if they were worried.