Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Facial eczema and sore downstairs  (Read 16702 times)

ACS2010

Facial eczema and sore downstairs
« on: April 07, 2024, 06:01:50 PM »

Hi everyone
Newbie here who is feeling confused, frustrated and pretty down. I’m 50 and for the first time ever I’ve not had a period for over 60 days. Coming at the same time as this I’ve been hit with horrendous eye and facial eczema for the first time in my life, to the point my the skin around my eyes is raging red and swollen as well as itchy red patches on chin and around lips. I also have red itching sore split skin around my labia and bottom  :'(. My GP is vague and distant and so far has prescribed weak 0.5 hydrocortisone cream for my face which solves it virtually in hours, however it comes back if I stop using it. I also know the risky side effects as I’m a huge Googler due to health anxiety. GP also prescribed Canesten HC for downstairs which helped but the soreness came back at the end of the course and my thrush swab was negative. I’m wondering if this is all actually related to menopause and at my next precious GP appointment I should ask about HRT to try and help as well as alternative treatments for the eczema such as TCIs as opposed to risky steroids. I’m so down, and its so hard to get doctors appointments quickly. I’m a teacher who needs to be well to do my job and am also battling a chronic uti condition. My hubbie works away a lot and doesn’t really understand and I don’t really have close friends nearby to talk to. Anybody else have any similar experiences/cures that they can share.  TIA

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Facial eczema and sore downstairs
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 06:13:07 PM »

Have replied in your other thread.

Banjo1973

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 09:10:24 PM »

Hi there!

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time.

I can only go from my experience so i dont know if this is at all helpful... (coincidentally, I am also a 50 year old teacher!) I started taking hrt a couple of years ago, no 'typical' symptoms, but did get this horrible itchy skin, my face became suddenly sensitive and rashy and suddenly allergic to things I'd been happy with for years. I did also get some cracking in my labia.

Anyway, very quickly after starting hrt (oestrogel* and utrogestan) my skin became normal again - no more dry irritated face... I have never had a crack 'downstairs' since taking it. Can't promise it will work for you, but it really helped me.

I can't say it's been an easy journey - I hate taking Utrogestan and Oestrogel doesn't seem to be the same product it once was, so I would recommend Sandrena or a patch for oestrogen. There have been a lot of ups and downs, but even at my worst, it was better than before I took HRT. So if you are able to try it, I definitely think it's worth a go.

Good luck x

ACS2010

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2024, 06:02:38 AM »

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and support. It seems like it’s definitely worth me exploring this with my doctor so I’ll give it a go, though I find its like talking to a wall sometimes. Different doctor every time I speak to them who don’t seem to really care as long as they’ve moved you on from the surgery  >:(. I always said I would definitely never give HRT a go and “power through” but now I’m there I’m eating my words as it’s got to be better than this rubbish. Thanks again.

Penguin

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2024, 06:14:09 AM »

Hi What you describe about the skin splitting and being sore happens to me once a month when my estrogen is really low. It improves with a bit of sudocream and as my estrogen rises but it's really horrible, especially around the bum crack so you have my sympathies.

ACS2010

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2024, 06:26:15 AM »

I feel for you, horrible isn’t it. I’ve had it brewing for a while looking back and I did find sudocrem helped a bit. But now it’s front as well as back I’m feeling a bit out of control and thinking it might be time to get the bigger guns out. I had terrible acne in my mid 20s which was all hormone related which the pill sorted out so I’m thinking this all might need a similar approach of dealing with hormones. I hope you don’t feel too sore at the moment.

By the way, its lovely to get this support, helps knowing there are others out there who understand ❤️

Penguin

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2024, 06:31:13 AM »

I think the problem is that sudo cream heals it, but also dries the area more. But sylk and yesvm (other vaginal moisturisers I've used) don't do the healing bit and sting like hell when applying. So I'd keep sudocream to a minimum and look at possibly topical based estrogen to dealing with the root cause, if you don't want systemic hrt. That's what I should do really, then perhaps it wouldn't split in the first place. I could increase my systemic hrt as only on one pump but don't want to do that either.

Ita okay atm thanks as I'm mid cycle and my estrogen hasn't dropped yet. It's end of cycle and when my bleed is tailing off that is the problem for me.

Alex 2024

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2024, 08:30:58 AM »

Hi ACS2010,
I've recently cured a problem with face excema by stopping using cetraben as a moisturiser and starting to use Abido cream instead. You can get this on amazon if you type in "Abido PureStar Herbal skin heal Original". I'm also using dermol 500 to wash my face as well. I started this regime after advice from a friend who's always suffered with excema on her whole face and body. Her advice was that anything water based doesn't help as it can dry the skin, so you need something oil based to add hydration.
I was using Eumovate to keep the problem at bay but since changing routine I've solved it in around 5 days.
Also, and I'm sure you know this, drink as much water as you can to keep yourself hydrated through day and night.
Best of luck, I feel for you xx

ACS2010

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2024, 08:42:37 AM »

Hi Penguin,
Yes it’s a viscious cycle, isn’t it, and I agree the vaginal moisturisers do sting don’t they (I’ve tried a few). Went with Sudocrem this morning as I’m quite sore and it feels a bit more comfortable at the moment. Maybe until I get the HRT decisions made I’ll try and experiment a bit and interchange them a bit to heal and then moisturise. I think if I could have a period and reset a bit I might feel better, but that is beyond my control I’m afraid.
My doctor is going to have fun with me on Thursday I think!
Stay well.

ACS2010

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2024, 08:48:52 AM »

Hi Alex2024
Thanks for the advice. The pharmacist originally gave me Cetreben at the very beginning when this started but it did nothing, worse if anything, so the doctor said stop it.
I’ll give your advice a try as I think it’s worth a go. I’m going out to Boots later as well as doing an Amazon order so I’ll see if I can pick these up.
I drink for England because of the chronic uti, so I’ll keep that up.
Really appreciate your support 😊

ACS2010

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2024, 09:08:51 AM »

Hi Alex2024
Just did a bit of reading and it seems Abido could contain some Clobetasol Propionate which is a steroid, hence why it works wonders. See this website https://www.naturaljem.com/product/abido-cream/
I wanted to let you know so you can use with care and research it a little just so you’re informed, think I might give that one a miss for the moment but I will try an emollient to wash my face as I do find that quite drying generally.

orrla

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2024, 04:48:04 PM »

Hi,

You are obviously dry!

What creams are you using? soaps?  Washing powder etc.

Tried hot water, simple soap, and plenty of moisturizing cream for eczema all over straight after shower on wet skin, face, feet, the lot? For me, one that works best have Urea in them. Try Balneum cream! ?  and antihistamine..? Who knows..

Dermatology, from my experience is like black magic. Keep it simple and see!

Best!

Katherine

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2024, 09:34:43 PM »

I used to get eczema and I found the only thing that cleared it was coconut oil based creams like faith in nature fragrance free lotion and weleda white mallow cream. Once the skin is broken it difficult to heal. I found that keeping the area covered with a layer of cream eventually healed the skin. Also I found washing slightly less frequently therefore not washing the oils away all the time have the skin chance to heal. I found hydrocortisone cream and e45 didn’t work and liquid paraffin based creams inflamed the skin more. I don’t know a lot about the this but I suspect low oestrogen may be the root cause. Before I started HRT my skin got really dry and now I’m on HRT it’s back to normal.

ACS2010

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2024, 06:37:37 AM »

Thanks for your replies. Sudocrem has made me feel a little more comfortable downstairs but  there’s still an issue rumbling away. Feel like it’s a juggling game with face cream, I went to Boots and came out empty handed as it was just so overwhelming on what to buy. I don’t have a lot of money to throw around. Although I hate it, I”m terrified of having to stop the steroid cream again in a couple of days as I looked horrific last time. I’m just counting the days/hours I can get that GP back on the phone on Thursday afternoon. I hardly slept a wink last night with all the worry about this, finding it hard to concentrate on anything and my appetite is non-existent. My hormones are definitely playing havoc with me, I hope they give me some HRT to try without too much of a fight.

orrla

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2024, 08:05:17 AM »

Hi, I get it.

You can get moisturizing cream on prescription! If your gp does not want, ask for referral to dermatologist! And use this hydrocortisone until it clears, don't worry. Drink water, 2l/day min.

Waiting times are long, but..

Best!
Pages: [1] 2