Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Thickened endometrium, referral to benign gynecology ?  (Read 3150 times)

lillith112

Thickened endometrium, referral to benign gynecology ?
« on: April 04, 2024, 06:29:58 AM »

For those of you who have a thickened lining on a scan (mine shows thickening with cystic areas and blood products) is it normal to be referred to the benign gynecology triage team ? That's what it says on my NHS app. GP told me I'd need a biopsy and maybe hysteroscopy.

I thought that they would need to rule out cancer by biopsy etc and wondered why I've been referred to the benign service ? 🤔

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Thickened endometrium, referral to benign gynecology ?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 08:02:56 AM »

Benign means what it says.  Did U have another similar thread, or is it the early hour that's confusing me  ::)

Penguin

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 08:31:29 AM »

For those of you who have a thickened lining on a scan (mine shows thickening with cystic areas and blood products) is it normal to be referred to the benign gynecology triage team ? That's what it says on my NHS app. GP told me I'd need a biopsy and maybe hysteroscopy.

I thought that they would need to rule out cancer by biopsy etc and wondered why I've been referred to the benign service ? 🤔

I'd see that as a positive! However if they are doing a biopsy it will still show any cell changes so it won't be missed if that is what you are worrying about? Probably means a longer wait for an appointment though if you're not on the two week pathway- again good if they think it isn't something sinister!

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 10:22:13 AM »

Hi lilith - I haven't encountered the term "benign gynaecology" but as CLKD says benign means exactly that. I wonder if they want to do a more detailed scan beofre referring you for hysterosocopy or biopsy? Maybe it is an intermediate stage that is used in certain NHS areas? In my area the couple of times I've had problems I have been referred straight to gynaecology for hysteroscopy and biopsy but it was spotting at the wrong time that led to this referral.

Did you have bleeding as well tht led you to have a scan? Hopefully you won't have to wait too long for an appointment but in the meantime try not to worry.

All the best

Hurdity x

lillith112

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 08:52:00 PM »

Benign means what it says.  Did U have another similar thread, or is it the early hour that's confusing me  ::)

I did have a thread asking the normal thickness of the endometrium for NHS levels as I couldn't find any reference to it,

lillith112

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 08:53:04 PM »

I'd see that as a positive! However if they are doing a biopsy it will still show any cell changes so it won't be missed if that is what you are worrying about? Probably means a longer wait for an appointment though if you're not on the two week pathway- again good if they think it isn't something sinister!

GP said she put me down as urgent, and said if I don't hear by 2-3 weeks to phone the hospital.

lillith112

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 08:56:16 PM »

Hi lilith - I haven't encountered the term "benign gynaecology" but as CLKD says benign means exactly that. I wonder if they want to do a more detailed scan beofre referring you for hysterosocopy or biopsy? Maybe it is an intermediate stage that is used in certain NHS areas? In my area the couple of times I've had problems I have been referred straight to gynaecology for hysteroscopy and biopsy but it was spotting at the wrong time that led to this referral.

Did you have bleeding as well tht led you to have a scan? Hopefully you won't have to wait too long for an appointment but in the meantime try not to worry.

All the best

Hurdity x

Hurdity, yes I've had nothing but spotting since last November when I stopped the HRT and in February I had the heaviest bleed I've ever encountered, pads were saturated every hour, I couldn't leave the house, it was horrendous 😔