Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Apologies - update  (Read 25311 times)

Jules

Re: Apologies - update
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2024, 06:20:13 AM »

If I get any responses I'll let you know.

Dotty

« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2024, 07:06:44 AM »

https://www.hysteroscopyaction.org.uk/

Jules…not sure if you’ve seen this website.

Jules

« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2024, 08:24:55 AM »

https://www.hysteroscopyaction.org.uk/

Jules…not sure if you’ve seen this website.
done and thanks

ElkWarning

« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2024, 09:50:10 AM »

Sorry this happened to you, but hats off for pursuing for other ladies.

I once got up off a table mid procedure and withdrew my consent.  I insist on enhanced sedation with fentanyl for everything now - including fitting / removing coils.  My GP is supportive.

^^ Another issue related to the above is around women who've experienced trauma.  I don't want to spell it out, but hopefully people catch my drift.  I recently had to accompany a young friend for her smear because the nurse wouldn't accept that this was hugely compromising for my friend on both a physical and psychological level.  I advocating for diazepam in preparation, during and after.  This was agreed.

Jules

« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2024, 10:12:19 AM »

Sorry this happened to you, but hats off for pursuing for other ladies.

I once got up off a table mid procedure and withdrew my consent.  I insist on enhanced sedation with fentanyl for everything now - including fitting / removing coils.  My GP is supportive.

^^ Another issue related to the above is around women who've experienced trauma.  I don't want to spell it out, but hopefully people catch my drift.  I recently had to accompany a young friend for her smear because the nurse wouldn't accept that this was hugely compromising for my friend on both a physical and psychological level.  I advocating for diazepam in preparation, during and after.  This was agreed.
I get your drift.

getting_old

« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2024, 05:33:30 PM »

There is no way I could consider anything down below without GA. I was given a smear test when I was 17, never been sexually active, but on the pill to help with period pains, and it was a newly qualified GP. Fairly sure he used the largest metal speculum available and the pain was horrendous. I am a shaking wreck from the day a smear test is booked until it's over, all because of that experience.

Jules

« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2024, 07:06:10 PM »

There is no way I could consider anything down below without GA. I was given a smear test when I was 17, never been sexually active, but on the pill to help with period pains, and it was a newly qualified GP. Fairly sure he used the largest metal speculum available and the pain was horrendous. I am a shaking wreck from the day a smear test is booked until it's over, all because of that experience.
The pre appointment leaflet said most women experience mild period pain and nothing more. So as I needed to get answers, I thought I'd tolerate it. They should have said, but some women experience strong or severe pain.

getting_old

« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2024, 07:46:47 PM »

The pre appointment leaflet said most women experience mild period pain and nothing more. So as I needed to get answers, I thought I'd tolerate it. They should have said, but some women experience strong or severe pain.

When I was 17 there was no such thing as a pre-appointment leaflet, I went to get a prescription and was told I should have the smear test there and then. Goodness knows how many people were given tests without any knowledge of what it was or what would happen. It was just remove your lower layers and hop on the bed. No nurse, no information, and no concern about the fact that it was obviously hurting me.

Jules

« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2024, 08:46:18 PM »

When I was 17 there was no such thing as a pre-appointment leaflet, I went to get a prescription and was told I should have the smear test there and then. Goodness knows how many people were given tests without any knowledge of what it was or what would happen. It was just remove your lower layers and hop on the bed. No nurse, no information, and no concern about the fact that it was obviously hurting me.
I was referring to a pre information leaflet about my hysteroscopy this week,  not a smear test.

Cassie

« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2024, 07:12:27 AM »

Why dont they offer the same type of sedation that they perform colonoscopies under  :-\

ElkWarning

« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2024, 09:18:02 AM »

Why dont they offer the same type of sedation that they perform colonoscopies under  :-\

Not wishing to sound overly political on this, but men have bum holes and so it's seen as a requirement. But they don't have vaginas or cervixes and so it's not on the powers that be radar.

Jules

« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2024, 09:57:39 AM »

I wouldn't have had that done under sedation.  Sedation doesn't kill pain. It just makes you drowsy. I was roused from my sedation with stomach pain when I had a gastroscopy but couldn't tell them because I was sedated. You aren't unconscious, it has an amnesiac effect and so you don't remember after and think you were knocked out. They told me that some women cope ok or don't feel it when they have hysteroscopy hence they just try and find out! It's cheaper and quicker.

Penguin

« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2024, 10:08:35 AM »

You can ask to have colonoscopy done under enhanced sedation where you are actually asleep (count down from 10 and youre out by 7 kind of thing). It isnt a general anaesthetic but you are actually under for it, ive had two now done that way. There is a longer wait as they keep the theatre slots for children and those who are frail / unable to tolerate the procedure. I was told due to severe anxiety I could have it done that way but it'd be an extra 6 weeks wait and I was already on the two week pathway. I ended up using my insurance and going privately and had it done within a week. The sedation they offer you generally isn't enhanced and, as you are still conscious, you will feel pain. I was told by the NHS that their enhanced sedation is the same as what I had privately and uses propofol.

Jules

« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2024, 11:01:05 AM »

You can ask to have colonoscopy done under enhanced sedation where you are actually asleep (count down from 10 and youre out by 7 kind of thing). It isnt a general anaesthetic but you are actually under for it, ive had two now done that way. There is a longer wait as they keep the theatre slots for children and those who are frail / unable to tolerate the procedure. I was told due to severe anxiety I could have it done that way but it'd be an extra 6 weeks wait and I was already on the two week pathway. I ended up using my insurance and going privately and had it done within a week. The sedation they offer you generally isn't enhanced and, as you are still conscious, you will feel pain. I was told by the NHS that their enhanced sedation is the same as what I had privately and uses propofol.

Yes but for a gastroscopy you need to be conscious enough to swallow the tube

Penguin

« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2024, 11:19:58 AM »

Oh I know, I was talking about colonoscopy in response to what Cassie had queried. I have no idea about gastroscopy as haven't had one but have unfortunately had two colomoscopies and I wouldn't have that done awake either, not after I was told my descending colon is much curvier than usual and it'd be too painful awake. Yes I guess some people tolerate them okay with a bit of gas and air.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6