Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Apologies - update  (Read 25315 times)

CarolineM

Re: Apologies - update
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2024, 08:32:04 AM »

If men had to have them they probably wouldn't do them without GA. I can't believe they don't proactively offer at least a local for an invasive procedure like that. I had private IVF and had two hysteroscopies and it wasn't even an option to have it done awake. It wasn't a GA though, it is called enhanced sedation where you ate actually asleep.

Just looked on the Prostate Cancer UK website, and for prostate biopsies men are offered at least a local anaesthetic (procedure involves a needle).

Surely there must be some kind of local anaesthetic that can be used around the cervix?

Ayesha

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2024, 08:55:04 AM »

Why don't you go further with your story, to the media for instance. Another story similar to yours was from this lady who obviously got a lot of media attention.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57551641#:~:text=She%20has%20been%20sharing%20her,in%20her%20eyes%2C%20Naga%20recalls.

I would not let this go without doing something about it, write to the NHS and your MP to get the ball rolling.

Jules

« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2024, 09:49:29 AM »

I have got in touch with my MP and forwarded her the previous parliamentary report. I don't want to complain to the hospital because I don't want it to be directed at the staff concerned.  They weren't heartless but it was definitely that they just have a go and see if the person can tolerate. The doctor did say theatre if any future procedures.  Pity they have to test your level of endurance first. I get more pain relief for a dental filling.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 11:46:45 AM by Jules »

Kathleen

« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2024, 11:29:29 AM »

Hello ladies.

I had a hysteroscopy a few years ago and found it very painful. Apparently the appointment letter from the hospital should had told me to take painkillers beforehand but it wasn't mentioned. No pain relief of any kind was offered.
The nurses told me that another patient had drunk a lot of rum prior to her procedure and hadn't felt a thing! She did this on the advice of her husband who had been in the navy.

I was talking to a consultant about a year ago and he said that some topical painkiller is supposed to be applied to the cervix at the beginning of the hysteroscopy. He couldn't explain why that hadn't happened. I wonder if it is easier and quicker for the medics to just press on so that they can get through as many appointments as they can?
The staff were very kind when I had my hysteroscopy but I suspect that they were under pressure to be as ' efficient ' as possible.
I am supposed to be having another scan soon though I haven't had a letter from the hospital and it's been quite a while. I think I need to contact my GP surgery to see what's happening which means sending an email at  7.30 am  via AskMyGP .
Should I need another hysteroscopy I will plead for at least some pain relief!
Btw last time I noticed other women in the waiting room were popping pills and I wondered why. It wasn't long before I found out!

Take care ladies.

K.

Jules

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2024, 11:48:59 AM »

Hello ladies.

I had a hysteroscopy a few years ago and found it very painful. Apparently the appointment letter from the hospital should had told me to take painkillers beforehand but it wasn't mentioned. No pain relief of any kind was offered.
The nurses told me that another patient had drunk a lot of rum prior to her procedure and hadn't felt a thing! She did this on the advice of her husband who had been in the navy.

I was talking to a consultant about a year ago and he said that some topical painkiller is supposed to be applied to the cervix at the beginning of the hysteroscopy. He couldn't explain why that hadn't happened. I wonder if it is easier and quicker for the medics to just press on so that they can get through as many appointments as they can?
The staff were very kind when I had my hysteroscopy but I suspect that they were under pressure to be as ' efficient ' as possible.
I am supposed to be having another scan soon though I haven't had a letter from the hospital and it's been quite a while. I think I need to contact my GP surgery to see what's happening which means sending an email at  7.30 am  via AskMyGP .
Should I need another hysteroscopy I will plead for at least some pain relief!
Btw last time I noticed other women in the waiting room were popping pills and I wondered why. It wasn't long before I found out!

Take care ladies.

K.
I'd taken panadol advanced. They were useless in the context of the pain I had.  I would have used gas and air if it had been offered during the procedure.  It's a poor state of affairs when we're having to plan our own pain relief and you're right. They just want to plough on, believing its a short procedure and not long to suffer if its too painful.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 11:51:02 AM by Jules »

suzysunday

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2024, 12:07:04 PM »

I would always ask for another general anaesthetic if I needed another hysteroscopy. 

Mary G

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2024, 01:58:06 PM »

I know exactly what you mean about the dreadful pain.  I have never been pregnant (through choice) therefore my cervix has never dilated.

When I had my first (copper) coil fitted I nearly collapsed and the doctor offered to give me a lift home because I was the last patient and I could barely walk.  I had never experienced such excruciating pain before and I virtually fell out of his Range Rover outside my house. 

The last Mirena coil fitting was equally bad except this time I broke into a horrendous sweat and had to drive back to where we were staying - god knows how!  To be honest, it has put me off having another coil fitted.

I would definitely want an anaesthetic if I ever needed any kind of procedure that involves dilating the cervix again.

Jules

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2024, 02:15:57 PM »

It's unusual for me but think I deliberately didn't ask questions,  didn't Google etc because I needed to find out what was there and get reassurances asap and knew if I started finding out more, I wouldn't have it done.  But I found it terrifying once it started. If I thought i needed to do that again I'd be deterred from visiting the doctor with my problem. So as I've said before,  be fully informed then you can have your say.

Penguin

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2024, 02:19:54 PM »

I can't see why they can't do a local injection to the cervix, I'm sure someone mentioned this as a possibility on a different thread. It seems barbaric to me.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2024, 02:54:48 PM »

A few years ago there was a campaign about pain relief and hysteroscopies, much good has it done! Different health authorities have different policies, some offering waking sedation, whilst others don't seem to offer anything unless it is explicitly asked for.

A few years when the hospital was urging me to have a hysteroscopy and didn't offer any pain relief, my GP prescribed Valium for me to take. This seems ridiculous to me as it would in effect be unsupervised. I only heard about a general when my daughter suggested I contact PALS and this resulted in me receiving a letter saying I could have one under general if needed.

If anyone has any issues please contact PALS as they are really helpful and sort things out for you, which greatly reduces the stress,

Jules

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2024, 04:55:38 PM »

A few years ago there was a campaign about pain relief and hysteroscopies, much good has it done! Different health authorities have different policies, some offering waking sedation, whilst others don't seem to offer anything unless it is explicitly asked for.

A few years when the hospital was urging me to have a hysteroscopy and didn't offer any pain relief, my GP prescribed Valium for me to take. This seems ridiculous to me as it would in effect be unsupervised. I only heard about a general when my daughter suggested I contact PALS and this resulted in me receiving a letter saying I could have one under general if needed.

If anyone has any issues please contact PALS as they are really helpful and sort things out for you, which greatly reduces the stress,

I wouldnt have wanted sedation. It doesnt stop pain. I had it with my last gastroscopy and they were hurting my stomach but because I was sedated I couldnt tell them.  This is the thing I found https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2023-01-31/debates/6964ABD5-815F-4C26-8759-50EE1CB04E5B/NHSHysteroscopyTreatment.  Those descriptions in there make me feel sick. I cant believe I let them do it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 05:00:10 PM by Jules »

Jules

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2024, 09:49:36 PM »

So before I sign off I just want to say I have read the transcript and I have contacted Ms Lyn Brown, MP for West Ham to find out more about the efforts to improve the administration of this procedure and make sure women do not suffer that level of pain.  I feel I want to do something. There are a number of issues raised by that debate. I read some others experiences that were very similar to mine, quite upsetting. Im still unsettled by my experience, feeling tearful, and I recall now that I actually apologised profusely afterwards for screaming out. 
Up to recently NHS Trusts were financially rewarded for doing hysteroscopy in outpatients. Its thought to be about a third have severe pain so two thirds cope okay.  I did hope I would never having had painful periods and having short labours, the last one without any pain relief.  I didnt and I cant be sure my level of pain was believed and that they didnt think I was being anxious and panicky.   I wish everyone well and thankyou for the support in the last few weeks.

Ayesha

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2024, 09:54:41 PM »

The parliamentary report makes for horrific reading and its so hard to believe that women are being tortured in the UK by medical professionals, how do they sleep at night.
Its an utter scandal and it can't be allowed to continue!

suzysunday

« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2024, 10:01:55 PM »

I hope you can recover soon from your terrible experience.   Of course you are unsettled and tearful after what is like a violation.  We are not lumps of meat to be prodded and examined without thought.  Wishing you all the best x

Penguin

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2024, 04:19:12 AM »

I read that parliamentary transcript with horror. So while one third of women were in severe pain, that also meant the rest or at least a majority were in some kind of pain, and that there was no consistent approach to giving pain relief or offering a GA. Sickening. I'm never having one awake for sure.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6