Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Blood pressure checks (frequency)  (Read 26250 times)

Katejo

Blood pressure checks (frequency)
« on: April 02, 2024, 10:02:53 AM »

Assuming no pre existing history of high blood pressure, how often does your practice require you to provide a BP reading before issuing repeat HRT prescriptions (or any other reason)? Does the Practice expect/assume that everyone will buy their own reader and do it at home (as mine does)?

Only this week I saw a tv ad for such readers but a doctor was saying that we shouldn't rely on these and should go to the GP for a reliable reading. Then yesterday I saw a complaint from a patient that they had been told off by a nurse for not doing their own reading!

I am just curious as to how many people do actually have their own reader. Last Easter I kept getting reminders to get it done but throughout the Easter break when the surgery was closed.

Dazedandconfused

Re: Blood pressure checks (frequency)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 10:46:17 AM »

I have my own reader which I bought due to having white coat syndrome, which I didn't even know existed until the nurse told me.  She suggested that as my blood pressure was always showing high in the surgery - when all other indications were that it was fine - I should monitor and log it at home for a week and report back.  It was fine and since then from time to time I check it just to make sure it's OK.  The monitor I bought wasn't too expensive and is actually the same one they use at my surgery.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 11:23:14 AM »

We have a home BP test monitor.  I've never been asked for a BP reading other than at my annual check up with the GP.

Some clinicians seem to be worried about HRT far more than they ought to be! 

Songbird

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 12:04:53 PM »

I definitely suffer from white coat syndrome. It worried me as I am doing so well on HRT but my surgery needs BP readings annually.
I do them in the house and everything is fine.

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 12:06:50 PM »

I agree about the obsession with HRT. The questionnaire which I have had ti complete twice already in 2024 asks questions about blood pressure and blood clot problems even though I am on patches and Vagifem not tablets.  I had already given them a blood pressure reading in January and last week but they still asked again today. Just gave the same one again!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 12:10:29 PM by Katejo »

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 12:11:57 PM »

I have my own reader which I bought due to having white coat syndrome, which I didn't even know existed until the nurse told me.  She suggested that as my blood pressure was always showing high in the surgery - when all other indications were that it was fine - I should monitor and log it at home for a week and report back.  It was fine and since then from time to time I check it just to make sure it's OK.  The monitor I bought wasn't too expensive and is actually the same one they use at my surgery.
Could you send me a link to the type of machine which you have please?

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 12:15:09 PM »

I think that we went to Boots for our BP machine.  MayB have a lookC on line to see the choices out there first? 

Dazedandconfused

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2024, 12:26:51 PM »

Hi Katejo, I'm not sure of we're allowed to put links on here but the make is Omron, I think they're easy to get online.

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2024, 12:30:23 PM »

Hi Katejo, I'm not sure of we're allowed to put links on here but the make is Omron, I think they're easy to get online.
Thanks Dazedandconfused. The brand is sufficient.

ElkWarning

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2024, 01:02:06 PM »

No longer on HRT, but my practice did require blood pressure checks.  Everything was fine for the first 6 or so months, then my BP sky rocketed and I had to come off the HRT.  The won't prescribe it to me again, as my BP then dropped.  I know correlation isn't causation, but ...

Katejo

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2024, 01:31:05 PM »

No longer on HRT, but my practice did require blood pressure checks.  Everything was fine for the first 6 or so months, then my BP sky rocketed and I had to come off the HRT.  The won't prescribe it to me again, as my BP then dropped.  I know correlation isn't causation, but ...
Were you on tablets or patches? It isn't supposed to be a problem with patches.

Katejo

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2024, 03:13:40 PM »

I think that we went to Boots for our BP machine.  MayB have a lookC on line to see the choices out there first?
I have just been to Boots and Superdrug. The prices and size varied so much. Boots ones ranged from about £34 to nearly £100 while Superdrug had a simple wrist monitor sponsored by St john Ambulance for £20. I didn't buy one.

Dazedandconfused

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2024, 03:20:04 PM »

If you go on the British Heart Foundation website, they list the ones that they approve. You can even buy them direct from their online shop.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2024, 03:29:41 PM »

We are such a mine of information and remember, it's a 1-off payment.  Useful when required.  Let us know how you get on.

Katejo

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2024, 03:33:35 PM »

If you go on the British Heart Foundation website, they list the ones that they approve. You can even buy them direct from their online shop.
Thanks
Pages: [1] 2 3