Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vagifem pain  (Read 7051 times)

hystergirl

Vagifem pain
« on: March 30, 2024, 12:56:17 PM »

Hello all,

I've just started Vagifem and am reacting quite strongly. It's only been two nights. My symptoms are stomach cramping and mild yet persistent nausea. The vulval area is really sore today. The first night I put applicator high up then last night only halfway. I'm guessing I have to wait until the two-week loading is over to see if I can cope with it? Tried Ovestin externally but it's too strong for me.

For info: Hysterectomy at 32. Now 62. I've recently been taken off tablet HRT and onto patches. Regret coming off Tablet HRT but GP won't let me back on it (I have T1 diabetes).

In your experience, can the Vagifem regime get better. I'm feeling a bit desperate right now. Thank you in advance.

shrosphirelass

Re: Vagifem pain
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2024, 01:25:45 PM »

When I first started vagifem I actually felt worse. I think that this is due to the tissues being plumped up and being more sensitive in the short term. I switched to estriol cream for a short while. This is a lot weaker than ovestin. After a few weeks my symptoms improved and then I  I switched back to vagifem and now would not be without it. I also use a small amount of estriol cream twice a week externally.

I also felt nausea initially, though am not sure this was because I was anxious about using it. This settled very quickly.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2024, 02:33:29 PM »

MayB use every 3rd night and not push the applicator up too high initially?  Some do report reactions i.e. pain ........ does taking pain relief help?

hystergirl: Has your GP referred U 2 an endocrinologist regarding the diabetes?  Or to a dedicated menopause clinic for advice?

hystergirl

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2024, 03:40:29 PM »

Thank you, shrosphirelass. That's really reassuring about the initial reaction. Is estriol a generic name or is there a brand I need to ask for? And do you mean you used it internally? (I'm new to creams, it's a bit confusing).

CLKD, hello. There is no menopause clinic in my entire region, it's quite frustrating. Hopefully, things will get better with the Vagifem.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024, 04:00:32 PM »

Estriol is  the generic cream I think. That's it's name. I think it now comes in two strengths, 0.01 and 0.1. I have the weaker one.

Initially I used the applicator to insert some cream instead of the vagifem but when things settled down I went back to vagifem (as I found the cream messy and a bit of a faff) and now use a small amount of cream twice a week on days I don't use vagifem.

For me this generally seems to keep symptoms at bay. I did feel like I got worse before I got better but it is definitely worth persisting.

Blot

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 04:12:43 PM »

I had a dreadful time when I first started using vagifem. Gave up after a week then started again.
Think it took a good 6 weeks before I started to improve but I remember those first weeks on it were awful.

Hang on in there and hopefully you will improve but don’t hesitate to go back to gp if you need to and look at past posts about it on here. This place was a game changer for me and I’m so grateful for all the help and advice I received (and still receive) because I was at my wits end with it all.

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2024, 05:47:59 PM »

Estriol is  the generic cream I think. That's it's name. I think it now comes in two strengths, 0.01 and 0.1. I have the weaker one.

Initially I used the applicator to insert some cream instead of the vagifem but when things settled down I went back to vagifem (as I found the cream messy and a bit of a faff) and now use a small amount of cream twice a week on days I don't use vagifem.

For me this generally seems to keep symptoms at bay. I did feel like I got worse before I got better but it is definitely worth persisting.
I get an adverse reaction to Estriol cream. Feels like cystitis. I have tried it several times. However Vagifem works really well. I never got any irritation at all.

hystergirl

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2024, 07:57:16 PM »

- Thanks, shrosphirelass for that info about the estriol cream. I feel more confident now to persevere with the whole regime.

- Blot, thank you, and I'm sorry you went through those weeks but it's good to know it can get better.

- Katejo, I'm glad Vagifem is working for you - and thanks for sharing your experience, it encourages me to carry on with it.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2024, 07:39:18 AM »

Let us know how you get on.

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2024, 01:21:20 PM »

- Thanks, shrosphirelass for that info about the estriol cream. I feel more confident now to persevere with the whole regime.

- Blot, thank you, and I'm sorry you went through those weeks but it's good to know it can get better.

- Katejo, I'm glad Vagifem is working for you - and thanks for sharing your experience, it encourages me to carry on with it.
Unfortunately my practice has just refused me a repeat prescription saying that I can't use Evorel Conti AND Vagifem!

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2024, 01:26:28 PM »

katejo - who has actually refused?  Have a discussion with the Practice manager and point her to MM, she can ask the GP if necessary to speak to Dr Currie.  That's awful !!!!

Katejo

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2024, 01:31:33 PM »

katejo - who has actually refused?  Have a discussion with the Practice manager and point her to MM, she can ask the GP if necessary to speak to Dr Currie.  That's awful !!!!
  I don't know exactly. Boots just told me that it had been removed from the list of medication which they can issue to me but, my NHS App still includes it so I have requested it again and sent a complaint.
It is virtually impossible to contact the practice manager without actually going and sitting in the waiting area and hoping he will appear.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2024, 01:43:49 PM »

He's not much good then.  >:(

Katejo

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2024, 01:57:25 PM »

I think that complaints aren't passed on to him. I have already pointed out to them that there is no option to contact him directly.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2024, 02:17:36 PM »

Katejo that's terrible. A few years ago my GP who was generally great said Im not sure about issuing you vagifem and evorel conti at the same time as the pharmacy may object. I directed him to the written advice I had received from the menopause clinic who advised both .  I got the impression they were a bit more enlightened now. They let me have estriol with the vagifem currently.

Can you get an appointment with the dr or a nurse (who knows about the menopause) to discuss this as you obviously need it and they need to be challenged? Otherwise are there any other GP's near you?

I am so sorry you are having to have this battle and good luck.
Pages: [1] 2