Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: HELP PLEASE  (Read 698 times)

Jennel27

• First Flush
HELP PLEASE
« on: March 25, 2024, 01:30:11 PM »

Hi I'm 34 years old I had a hysterectomy a year & 2 months ago due to have severe endometriosis, about 3 weeks after operation I started getting all the signs off menopause I expected but was horrible 😔 I got put on estradiol gel 2 pumps every day & utrogestan tablets 1 every night , since being on hrt iv gained nearly a stone has anyone else been through this if so did u come off it or reduce it and it made you lose that extra weight that was gained ? I'm so down and feel horrible about the weight IV gained as well as my hair being really thin any answers are welcome even if you want to ask me something I'd love to help someone as well as be helped myself thank you for reading hope to hear from your soon ❤️

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HELP PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 02:58:15 PM »

Hi!  What advice were you given prior to surgery?

Have U gained weight or has your body shape altered.

It's so annoying!   :welcomemm:

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 03:25:23 PM »

Hi Jennel. HRT can be tricky to get right. Are you on utrogestan due to having endometriosis? It may be that this doesn't suit you and a different progesterone might be better tolerated.

Have you had your bloods checked recently to rule out anaemia which can affect hair condition. Also lack of vitamin D is what caused my hair problems together with muscle aches and depression.

You are young to be going through this but there is a wealth of support and information on here so hopefully this will help.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Jennel27

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2024, 05:06:02 PM »

Yes got put on the utrogestan because the endometriosis as they couldn't get it all out as it is on my bladder too 😞 I was 34 when I had the operation luckily I was a younge mum n have 4 children so wasn't to bad that side off it and I just feel like I'm trapped in a older person's body going through all this had bloods done for diabetes thryoid liver ect all that came back fine I just feel so swelled and horrible would U say to stop the gel see if that makes a difference?

Jennel27

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2024, 05:07:51 PM »

Has anyone experienced weight gain with hrt cam off then lost it ?

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2024, 07:06:29 PM »

I have read that weight gain after a hysterectomy and oophorectomy is common. https://faq.iapmd.org/en/articles/4029892-will-surgical-menopause-make-me-gain-weight-or-change-my-body-shape. How much weight have you gained since the op? I had a hysterectomy leaving ovaries intact and did put on a few kilos even without the hormone upheaval. I wouldn't think it is a good idea for you to come off HRT to be honest. At your age you do need the protection that oestrogen gives your heart and bones at least up to the usual age of menopause which is around 51. Have you managed to keep up the same kind of activities since your op and is your diet the same as before? I can imagine that with four children you are really busy most of the time so I can see that there is a possibility it is hormone related. It can take a while to work out what's causing what though.

I think that it is more likely to be the progesterone that's making you feel so horrible (just my opinion though) so maybe you could try to find out if a different progesterone would suit you. I appreciate that the utrogestan might be the best one to keep the endo at bay though.

Taz x    :hug:

Arya Underfoot

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2024, 06:31:41 AM »

I experienced weight issues from early peri and found exercise (hydrotherapy, walking & yoga), smaller portions and some supplements helped me lose some of the weight. In particular, I found using a prebiotic collagen protein powder really made a difference to my hair, skin and nails, as well as improving my digestive system, which has given me more control over my weight.

I do remember seeing someone post about losing weight after stopping HRT but for you I would not advise this at your age, I stopped mine for 2 days and everything became worse plus new symptoms. 2 pumps of oestrogen is quite a low dose so maybe consider increasing it. 

I can't really comment on the Utrogestan being a problem, I love it, without it I have insomnia and increased anxiety. I take it continuously like you, as my uterus was removed about 5 years ago, taking it cyclically didn't work for me. As far as I understand progesterone is meant to have a calming effect on the body but I know a lot of people don't get this effect.

Penguin

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2024, 07:34:23 AM »

I experienced weight issues from early peri and found exercise (hydrotherapy, walking & yoga), smaller portions and some supplements helped me lose some of the weight. In particular, I found using a prebiotic collagen protein powder really made a difference to my hair, skin and nails, as well as improving my digestive system, which has given me more control over my weight.

I do remember seeing someone post about losing weight after stopping HRT but for you I would not advise this at your age, I stopped mine for 2 days and everything became worse plus new symptoms. 2 pumps of oestrogen is quite a low dose so maybe consider increasing it. 

I can't really comment on the Utrogestan being a problem, I love it, without it I have insomnia and increased anxiety. I take it continuously like you, as my uterus was removed about 5 years ago, taking it cyclically didn't work for me. As far as I understand progesterone is meant to have a calming effect on the body but I know a lot of people don't get this effect.

Hi
Wondering what you mean by hydrotherapy, is it is a particular type of water therapy? Is it expensive?
Also what was the name of the prebiotic you took please? I take a digestive enzyme to help digestion but think collagen would be helpful too.
I also agree about not stopping hrt to lose weight. I have gradually increased in weight since starting hrt, and it did drop when I stopped for a week (i stopped for other reasons). But I felt absolutely dreadful and so went back on.

Arya Underfoot

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2024, 08:24:19 AM »

Hydrotherapy really just means exercising in warm water (32C). Some people just do water walking but I do a combination of aqua aerobics and lap swimming. It's basically a low impact exercise and the warm water provides pain relief and helps support your muscles. Some public pools have a dedicated hydrotherapy/learn to swim pool which you can use on a budget. There are also dedicated hydrotherapy pools, usually run by physiotherapists that will design an exercise program for you. I recommend having at least one lesson before going it alone. You can buy aqua noodles, dumbbells, resistance bands and weights designed for pool use. I live in Australia, so I have no idea what the hydrotherapy options are in the UK but you should at least be able to use a learn to swim pool, which is usually the same temperature.

The supplement I take is made by Happy Mammoth and it's called "Prebiotic Collagen Protein", just mix a scoop with water 1-2 times a day. The main reason I like this brand is that they test their products to ensure no gut troubles.