Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Worried 😟  (Read 731 times)

Marshabookworm

Worried 😟
« on: March 23, 2024, 10:35:20 PM »

I started HRT about 5 weeks ago. I was having lots of muscle aches and GP thought it might help. Since being on it things which were okay before seem much worse now. My bowels are terrible, switching from loose to constipated, and I've been getting low right hand aches and pains every day. I've just seen a health advisory post on my health authority's Facebook about ovarian cancer and I match all the symptoms. I have been putting these down to still getting used to the HRT or hormones in general, but I'm now worried it's something more sinister. Can HRT cause all these kind of aches and pains? I'm on 2 pumps of gel and 2 x ustrogen (spelling?) 14 days.

Jules

Re: Worried 😟
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2024, 12:28:33 AM »

I doubt 5 weeks of hrt would cause ovarian cancer. Im not using that type of hrt so cant help there but i know other things can cause those symptoms. IBS for instance, stress too.

merrygoround

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2024, 08:01:17 AM »

Speak to your GP about your worries, they ought to be able to reassure you or arrange tests, either way starting HRT isn't all it's made out to be, in my experience.
The side effects of HRT can be fairly horrific for some people and anxiety is right up there as a well known side effect.
I stopped using utrogestan partly because of the terrible indigestion, I had wind so painful I almost went to A&E thinking it was my heart.
You could try using the utrogestan vaginally. Some come with applicators, but those are mostly for younger women undergoing fertility treatments, the ones meant for HRT come without applicators :(
The lack of applicators has caused me some irritation because you have to push the capsules right up as far as it can go.
Many on here have said their digestive side effects come from utrogestan and are resolved by using it vaginally.
My doctor told me to take the same dose vaginally as orally, but other doctors have podcasts clearly saying half the amount is enough because it is directly where it needs to be and not being degraded going through your digestive system.
I take tibolone now bacuse the side effects are the most pleasant I've ever come across and it even reduces hot flashes too!

Having said all that, five weeks is very early days, HRT has a huge effect, it's not like a paracetamol where you take it because it might help, but never notice any effect from it. HRT seems to rearrange everything and it takes 10 weeks ime to know how it is going to be, unless the side effects are too bad to put up with, I'd give it a bit longer as well as trying utrogestan vaginally. Same capsules, just a different route of entry!

Madge79

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2024, 08:19:46 AM »

Hi marshabookworm your post could be mine!

I’ve been on HRT many years but was switched to a mirena coil in December in an attempt to settle my migraines.

In the last month or so I’ve had increased gastro symptoms, bloating, painful wind, acid reflux, switching between constipated and loose stools. Mine is worse in the early hours and when I first wake up. Sometimes I will wake in the night with griping tummy pain and a need to poop, other times it will be as soon as I wake up that morning. A short time after waking i will need to poop, it isn’t diarrhoea but I usually need to go pretty rapidly.

Other stuff I have had since the mirena is worsening joint pain and all oner body pain, strange twinges that send shooting pains all over and super stiff lower back and hips.

I have managed to get my GP to do a CA125 blood test and a scan as I have an ovarian cancer family history so I’ve been freaking out about that. It’s stopped me sleeping and I’m super anxious most of the time.

See if your dr can refer you for those things to, for peace of mind if nothing else.i hope it gets better for you xx

Madge79

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2024, 08:23:25 AM »

I also forgot to say I get the low down right pain too! It can vary from a full ache to a sharp sudden pain which is gone in a second.

It feel like it could be from the ovary area but my GP said it could well be bowel related too. He said the cecum is there and sometimes it acts as a kind of pressure valve so if gas builds up it opens and releases some with a kind of colicky sudden pain.

My other thoughts re the pain is how similar it is to round ligament pain which I had whilst pregnant. So maybe the hormones are affecting the ligaments?

It’s all a mystery and I do feel like I am going totally insane and wonder whether all of this is worth it!!!! 😩

Peach8

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2024, 09:17:26 AM »

Hormones have always affected my bowels both on hrt and pre hrt. I had a mirena fitted and the first couple of months aggravated my ibs. I know it's difficult but try not to Google it as you'll always find something worrying that fits your symptoms.  Get your GP to run tests for peace of mind.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2024, 09:21:12 AM »

IBS is a cover-all when GPs aren't certain what our bowel problems might be.  Mine manifests as slow transit  >:(.  I've cut out processed foods recently which overall has improved how I feel, though not the transit issues - yet.  ::)

In my much younger days I would be constipated B4 a period .  In later years 10 mins B4 a bleed began I would have to rush to the loo, even if a period wasn't due.  Hormones! 

Marshabookworm - what did U decide?  Stop reading other sites as there will be scare stories on them all.  If still worried contact either your GP or have a lookC at the 'ovacome' web-site.  Let us know how you are feeling ?

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2024, 09:47:31 AM »

If bowel issues are associated with utrogestan you can take it vaginally instead of orally.

Jules

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2024, 10:43:57 AM »

Thank you for all your replies. I have wondered if the achy pain is bowel related, but then that just leads to worries about that! It's like an ever increasing circle. My mum has ovarian cancer but I've been told at her age (mid 70's) it's not a genetic thing, but how right that is I don't know. Im on the verge of coming off the HRT, as I don't feel it's doing me any good but I know I need to leave it longer...I never give things time! I'm going to try and get an appointment tomorrow for peace of mind, my anxiety is through the roof and that isn't doing me any good. I'll need my own parking space at the GP's though the amount of time I'm spending there!

I and some of my peers feel the same at present.  Never out of contact with the doctor. You are not alone.