Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Endometrial biopsy  (Read 8896 times)

ConfusedAboutHRT

• 51, peri, 75mg estrogel, mirena coil in situ
Endometrial biopsy
« on: March 22, 2024, 07:02:28 PM »

Hi everyone.
Not sure where to start…
I have a mirena coil (for just over 1.5 years) and have been taking oestrogel 75mg for around a year. I was taking the pill form of natural progestrone before that with oestrogen patches. (My memory is a bit hazy but I think I start hrt about 2.5 years ago now). Occasionally I would get a tiny amount of what looked like old blood (browny pink. And very very tiny). I mentioned it to my gp and recently had a scan to check things.  That was about a month Ago.
My gp recently called to say the scans showed my womb lining is 7mm and I’m being referred for cancer exclusion tests on a “fast track” so they can do a biopsy. I’m obviously concerned but most terrifying is having something inserted in my cervix after the truly horrific experience of having a coil fitted. It took a lot of wrangling and extended amount of pain that was too much to bear. I don’t know how I did. I sobbed for about 15 mins throughout and tried not to move as the full body shakes weren’t going to hell with the procedure. I really don’t think I could go through anything like that again. I haven’t got the strength.  So two questions; has anyone had similar circumstances to me with thick womb lining and it’s all been ok, second question - what suggestions for how painful the procedure will be (for reference, I have smears without bother, have had an injection in my cervix and a diathermy loop treatment to  remove abnormal cells without any bother or fuss, the coil was a whole different matter)

Thank you for reading

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Endometrial biopsy
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 07:31:49 PM »

7mm should be investigated so that you get a base line to work from. 

Why not ring the dept or if close enough, drop in and have a chat?  Make a list of your worries and find out exactly what this procedure entails.  This is your body so getting info gives you power ;-).

Let us know how you get on!

Northerngirl

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2024, 07:40:56 PM »

Hi, there are plenty of ladies on here who have had a thickened womb lining which lead us to hysteroscopy/biopsy on a 2 week fast track. My lining was 8mm and had my biopsy in January under general anaesthetic....have you considered this?
I didn't know you could opt for this but many on MM suggested it. You wait a bit longer for an anaesthetist but don't have any of the pain etc.
Might be worth thinking about.

Jules

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2024, 11:45:44 PM »

When a hysteroscopy was mentioned to me this week by my GP she said some women can tolerate it, others need a GA. I wondered how that's decided. I would as someone said, contact them and find out exactly what will happen and tell them your concerns beforehand.

Nik2502

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2024, 07:59:21 PM »

I had a horrific hysteroscopy. Never again. I’m left with PTSD it was so traumatic.
Some women can tolerate it but, if I needed another, I’d want a GA.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2024, 08:38:46 PM »

Personally I believe that any invasive procedure should be done under a light general anaesthetic, firstly to avoid pain as well as avoiding the chance of resistant to the procedure.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2024, 08:48:48 PM »

Lots of women who are on HRT have a thickened lining with no other concerns once it's checked out, so try not to worry too much.

I am due to have a hysteroscopy and biopsy in the morning under general anaesthetic (for similar reasons). You can ask for it to be done that way. If you have any difficulties just go via PALS (Patients Liaison Service) who will act on your behalf, they are wonderful.

Suziemc

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2024, 09:08:51 PM »

I had a biopsy 12mths ago following a scan that showed thickened womb lining and had a Mirena fitted at the same time,

My experience was a positive one, I was advised to take two paracetamol and two ibuprofen ahead of the procedure and then had aneasthesic gel followed by local anaesthetic to my cervix (actually, that might not be correct, it was somewhere internally!). The procedure was a little uncomfortable, similar to having a smear, with one or two 'pinches' but overall it wasn't as bad as I feared. The medical team in the room - think it was three nurses and the gynae- were superb, chatting to me the whole time to keep my mind off what was happening. I'll also add that I suffer from VA and Lichen Sclerosus, both under control but both adding to discomfort in the vaginal/vulval area.  If I had to have another biopsy in the future I'd go local aneasthesic again.

I know we are all different when it comes to levels of pain and what we're happy with but, if you've had smears, injections and loop diathermy in the past without a problem, I'd say you'd be OK with a biopsy. But, as others have said, you could always discuss your concerns and options with the clinical team before the day.

Good luck, hope it goes as well for you as it did for me.

Suzie

Jules

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2024, 12:20:18 AM »

I had a biopsy 12mths ago following a scan that showed thickened womb lining and had a Mirena fitted at the same time,

My experience was a positive one, I was advised to take two paracetamol and two ibuprofen ahead of the procedure and then had aneasthesic gel followed by local anaesthetic to my cervix (actually, that might not be correct, it was somewhere internally!). The procedure was a little uncomfortable, similar to having a smear, with one or two 'pinches' but overall it wasn't as bad as I feared. The medical team in the room - think it was three nurses and the gynae- were superb, chatting to me the whole time to keep my mind off what was happening. I'll also add that I suffer from VA and Lichen Sclerosus, both under control but both adding to discomfort in the vaginal/vulval area.  If I had to have another biopsy in the future I'd go local aneasthesic again.

I know we are all different when it comes to levels of pain and what we're happy with but, if you've had smears, injections and loop diathermy in the past without a problem, I'd say you'd be OK with a biopsy. But, as others have said, you could always discuss your concerns and options with the clinical team before the day.

Good luck, hope it goes as well for you as it did for me.

Suzie
Was that a biopsy of the cervix or inside the uterus?

Suziemc

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2024, 08:22:34 AM »

Was that a biopsy of the cervix or inside the uterus?

Hi Jules
Biopsy of the womb lining  :)  which is why I doubted myself when I said I had local anaesthetic injection in my cervix! No idea where the local was delivered  ::)

Donna-paul

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2024, 03:45:07 PM »

I’ve had 2 womb biopsies and not been given anything on both occasions just told to take 2 paracetamol before hand. On both occasions they were painful but over very quickly but very important to have done asap.

ConfusedAboutHRT

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2024, 08:30:21 PM »

Dear all. Thank you for your replies. I really appreciate it. I couldn’t figure out how to reply to individual posts - I will update my post when I get more information/news

Jules

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2024, 01:57:08 AM »

Paracetamol don't even touch my headaches so it would be useless for me

ConfusedAboutHRT

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2024, 02:27:50 PM »

Dear all. Today I had my appointment for a scan for thickened womb lining. I had decided that I wouldn’t have a biopsy without anaesthetic but the person doing the scan reassured me that the device to do this was smaller than the the device for fitting the mirena coil and said if it was too painful I could stop at any time and be booked in for a GA. I decided to go ahead as I was scared to wait. (I took ibuprofen 2 hours before).  I had the procedure done and Although it was painful it lasted less than 10 seconds. It wasn’t any wear near as bad an the coil. Slightly less painful and seconds rather the 15 minutes of wrangling. So I am relieved to have got it over and done with. I had only the very slightest period pain for an hour or so and it seems to have died down now. I just have the smallest amount of bleeding. I just wanted to share my experience although I know it’s a very individual thing.

ConfusedAboutHRT

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2024, 02:30:27 PM »

P.S.  my lining had reduced from 7.5mm to 5.3mm and they said it’s possibly because they couldn’t get a really good visual previously (my ovaries were not shown in the first scan). I have also reduced my oestrogen from 3 pumps to 2 pumps due to concern. They said that everything looked normal and they weren’t concerned and that I should get the result of the biopsy in 2-3 weeks
Pages: [1] 2