Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: HRT worsening existing insomnia- help!  (Read 757 times)

Seascapes

• First Flush
HRT worsening existing insomnia- help!
« on: March 22, 2024, 08:07:56 AM »

Hello all. I’ve been reading posts on this forum for some time but this is my first post. I’d really be grateful for some advice.

I have been in peri for some time, and started a sequential HRT regime around 2 months ago. Utrogestan 200 mg orally in the evening and 2 pumps Oestrogel. This is the second time I have tried this regime. The first time I  got really bad migraines from the Oestrogel so this time I was advised to start really slowly on the Oestrogel, building slowly up to two pumps in the morning.

I have started the utrogestan cyclically and started building up the Oestrogel, at the moment I’m using one pump. I’m just over a week into my second fortnight of Utrogestan. I’ve had various side effects which haven’t bothered me too much, but the major thing I am struggling with the last 4/5 days is terrible insomnia. I have had insomnia off and on for years and my normal pattern before I started the HRT is one of general sleeplessness, either taking hours to fall asleep and/or waking regularly throughout the night. This is horrible and one of the reasons I have started HRT in the first place. I was really hopeful about the Utrogestan as I’ve heard such good things about it acting as a sedative. But I just haven’t found any improvement to my sleep, and in fact it is increasingly worse, with a pattern where I have I fallen asleep really quickly but then woken at 3am almost exactly and then remaining absolutely wide awake or dipping in and out of light sleep for the rest of the night. I’m feeling absolutely dreadful as a result and so ratty and exhausted through the day.

My question is, has anyone else had this experience? I don’t know whether  to lower my Oestrogel dose again, as the issue seems to be getting worse as I increase it, but this will mean I’m on a tiny dose overall. I know that insomnia is normally caused by low estrogen but mine seems worse since I started increasing the gel. Or could it be a reaction to the Utrogestan which is slowly worsening?

Sorry for this long waffly message! I know that we are all different and that what works for others may not work for me, but any advice or experience would be appreciated so much.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT worsening existing insomnia- help!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 08:32:25 AM »

Morning. U waffle away it's usual on here  ::)

Hopefully some1 will be along with advice.  Or you could put the product names: individually: into the search box and read what pops up.  Make notes ;-).

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2024, 10:34:34 AM »

I find utro disrupts my sleep as well as making me dopey all day. I take it at 11am now so it's mostly worn off my night. Noresthisterone in evorel conti patches doesn't have this effect so it may be worth trying something different. Also try vaginally if you don't already.

AngelaH

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2024, 01:08:05 PM »

I know that insomnia is normally caused by low estrogen but mine seems worse since I started increasing the gel.

Not necessarily, I had insomnia, depression, foggy brain, bad memory, panic attacks….. when I was in peri because progesterone was low and estrogen was still high enough to have periods. I would say it is more about imbalance between 2 hormones.

Utrogestan gives me too much energy, keeps me awake during night and  makes me energetic during day, but I am postmeno now. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 01:10:08 PM by AngelaH »

lillith112

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2024, 07:00:34 AM »

I had exactly the same side effect with utro, terrible insomnia, kept me awake.most of the night. I tried vaginally as pessaries but it didn't make any difference.
I came off HRT for 3 months for a blood test, when I go back on it I'm going to ask for the mini pill, cerazette as I had that progesterone (deogestrel) previously and found it very good and slept ok on that.