Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: How to sleep when you're anxious  (Read 740 times)

shrosphirelass

How to sleep when you're anxious
« on: March 19, 2024, 01:36:37 PM »

I always have trouble with sleep but I'm starting to not be unable to cope with basic tasks as I am completely exhausted. I have my hysteroscopy and biopsy on Sunday under general and this has spiked my anxiety. Even when I'm calm when I go to bed I wake up after a couple of hours and then can't get back to sleep.

Any suggestions, looking for magic solutions! Ive tried everything I can think of so know that's unlikely.

JoannFran

Re: How to sleep when you're anxious
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 02:01:32 PM »

Hi - Sorry you're experiencing this.  I'm sure you've tried Magnesium Glycinate?  Are you on HRT?  My sleep has dramatically improved since being on it (especially the utrogestan phase).  Kind sleep patches, which contain melatonin?    For me, reading that resting is beneficial (obvs not as beneficial as sleep) but still good for us, made me relax and I would go to bed and tell myself it doesn't matter if I don't sleep.  Have you tried the listening trick?  You just listen for different sounds.  Turns off the thinking part of the brain.

You've probably tried all of these.  I hope your op goes well xxxx

Penguin

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 02:14:23 PM »

Michael Sealey sleep hypnosis on YouTube. It's the only one that has worked when I'm that anxious. Even if I don't focus on the words, the rhythm of his voice makes me falls asleep. I go with the 2 hour ones x

Pippa52

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 02:46:47 PM »

Penguin thanks so much for the suggestion of Michael Sealey hypnosis tapes.  I love the sound of this and will definitely try it tonight as my sleep is just rubbish right now.  Not due to HRT but other things xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2024, 04:44:32 PM »

It's anxiety driven shrospshirelass - and worrying about not being able to sleep actives the brain so that it won't switch off!

For years I had a radio by the bed, playing soft music which helped. 

Penguin

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 04:48:02 PM »

Penguin thanks so much for the suggestion of Michael Sealey hypnosis tapes.  I love the sound of this and will definitely try it tonight as my sleep is just rubbish right now.  Not due to HRT but other things xxx

He has sooooo many to choose from, I like the ones that have rumination, anxiety and overthinking in the title. Make sure you go into settings and change it so that that it doesn't autoplay the next item though, I set it to stop as soon as the hypnosis is finished!

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2024, 04:51:00 PM »

I ruminate without any problems  ;D.  On nights that I can't sleep I try not to be bothered by it, eventually I will drop off: or wake early and watch the dawn arrive. Fortunately it's not as often as when I was in a busy job!

Penguin

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2024, 04:54:30 PM »

Depends what you ruminate on as to whether it's an issue or not - unfortunately most of mine are anxiety related and self destructive!

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2024, 04:56:02 PM »

When I had the radio on I would pretend to ice skate to the music  :o  :D

shrosphirelass

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2024, 09:04:28 PM »

Thanks all. Ive never tried a medication on line. My husband listens to dull pod casts to get to sleep but when I tried I found them too stimulating and seemed to get more alert, but a medication should be more relaxing. I'll have a look.

When I'm really anxious and my pulse is racing I do the 5 senses thing and it does help slow my heart down. Just listening out for sounds is a part of that and easier to do, so Ill try that.

I tried magnesium years ago but because of issues with my stomach (probably anxiety related too) it gave me diarrhoea.  I know its supposed to be good for anxiety too.

I agree about if you can stop worry about not sleeping it helps. I learned many years ago that I can survive all night if need be with absolutely no sleep, its just so exhausting and makes me feel rubbish.

boomerang

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2024, 09:46:42 PM »

You have my sympathy it is awful not sleeping due to anxiety, and with me the anxiety of not being able to sleep makes me more anxious and wound up it’s impossible to go back to sleep!
I’ve tried the music/meditation and find they help if you can find one you get along with, I used to read a very wordy history book if I couldn’t sleep- it was very distracting and could help me relax enough to fall asleep.
Since starting HRT it’s actually helped me enormously thankfully, but still sometimes struggling with early hours waking. Not sure if it’s coincidence but I’ve started using Epsom salts in the bath at bedtime and I’ve slept a lot better.
Hope it gets better for you x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2024, 10:04:18 PM »

Magnesium in high doses will cause 'the runs'.   :o. Many years ago I tried it to ease an irritating cough as it relaxes the muscles round the throat, it certainly worked.  But I had to remain near the bathroom  ::)

Jules

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2024, 11:54:18 PM »

Those kind of nights are awful. If I can't sleep I read and the boredom usually makes me drowsy as does Internet surfing but I also get up and make a warm drink, I break the brain pattern. You just have to keep switching your thoughts back to something pleasant, they'll wander back but keep flicking the switch back. Find your happiest place and focus on it.