Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Please share your experience of burning scalp sensation  (Read 798 times)

Carolissosmiley

• First Flush
Please share your experience of burning scalp sensation
« on: March 18, 2024, 05:26:03 PM »

Hi All,

This is my first post  :)

I have been on HRT for almost 2 years now, After about 8 months I moved up to 50g on my patch and still take 2 utrogesten 2 weeks out of 4

All in all I thought I was doing ok, I do have the joint pain creeping back in on my arms and wrists, sleeping is not great, I can get to sleep but wake up early, am restless or both. Don't even talk to me about my weight, it is so annoying, I just can't budge it!

But this is a new one on me, my burning scalp

It has been here for a couple of weeks almost and I can only describe it as either when you stupidly burn your head on holiday or if you have had your hair back for too long, it really hurts!

I am pretty sure it is hormonal but you can't help but worry

What are other peoples experiences of this?

I have a review of my HRT on Thursday that I had to fight for

Has anyone changed their HRT and found that this helps with the scalp?

Thanks in advance, any reassurance appreciated x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Please share your experience of burning scalp sensation
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2024, 06:27:58 PM »

Oh the parts that become irritating etc.!  If it were burning mouth I would suggest that it's the sodium laurel sulphate which may of course, be included in shampoo.  It's there to make products foam. Apparently  ::).  I have to be careful which paste I buy otherwise certain foods make my mouth burn instantly.

MayB rinse in tepid water without shampoo then rub in a moisturiser, I use the 'vaseline' hand cream in a yellow bottle.  Not on my head per se but it would probably ease the sensation 4 U.  A little goes a long way.

Who is prescribing your HRT and why did you have to fight for a review? 

CrispyChick

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 06:37:29 PM »

I get this - or something similar to this!!!

Mine is tingly scalp (can occasionally be quite extreme - maybe burning feeling I guess) or sore hair that literally hurts to move it.

Mine comes and goes...as I change things I think.

I'm 47 in peri and currently trying the mini pill. I've had a few odd scalp sensations this last few days. But nothing extreme.

Have defo had it bad when trying progesterone. Or when my estrogen is high.

Defo hormonal for me. Not a deal breaker for me, as I have so many other symptoms. If it's just been a few weeks, you may find it subsides again.

Carolissosmiley

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2024, 07:10:16 PM »

Oh the parts that become irritating etc.!  If it were burning mouth I would suggest that it's the sodium laurel sulphate which may of course, be included in shampoo.  It's there to make products foam. Apparently  ::).  I have to be careful which paste I buy otherwise certain foods make my mouth burn instantly.

MayB rinse in tepid water without shampoo then rub in a moisturiser, I use the 'vaseline' hand cream in a yellow bottle.  Not on my head per se but it would probably ease the sensation 4 U.  A little goes a long way.

Who is prescribing your HRT and why did you have to fight for a review?

So give you some context,

We cannot get a doctor's appointment here for love or money (but we can get a dentist! Swings and roundabouts eh!?)

I called 44 times this morning before I managed to join a queue of 25, an hour later was told appointments all gone, call back tomorrow, it is a daily battle

In the end I went to the pharmacy and they called the surgery and demanded that they call me which they did and I have a phone appointment on Thursday.

So HRT is from the docs, I asked for a review around October last year and was told that I shouldn't mess with it, even though I said I felt that something had changed.

I think I am freaking out as to why I am getting this now and also why it won't go away

I don't think it can be product based as I am now using a ginger shampoo from body shop and there is no irritation as in not read, or bumpy etc

Thanks both

I think I just need some reassurance as it's making me more anxious

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2024, 07:20:16 PM »

Ask for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic ? 

Carolissosmiley

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2024, 07:22:46 PM »

I will ask this but in all honesty, I am not sure we have one on the NHS

I am based in South Lanarkshire, Scotland

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2024, 07:30:02 PM »

U could look at the hospital websites in your area to C if they have Clinincs or someone from Scotland may be along  8)

CrispyChick

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2024, 07:51:16 PM »

Me again.  ;D

Scottish  ;D

There are NHS meno clinics up here. I had an appointment at one once upon a time. Pretty useless.

But it's definitely worth u asking in your local area.

And honestly, I was freaked out by the scalp thing when it first appeared. Now it's just one of my weird symptoms.

I do recall my first episode lasting for ages and I was convinced it arrived after I'd treated myself (and kids) with nit treatment!  But now I'm pretty sure it's hormonal and it never hangs around as long. X

Carolissosmiley

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2024, 08:08:58 PM »

Me again.  ;D

Scottish  ;D

There are NHS meno clinics up here. I had an appointment at one once upon a time. Pretty useless.

But it's definitely worth u asking in your local area.

And honestly, I was freaked out by the scalp thing when it first appeared. Now it's just one of my weird symptoms.

I do recall my first episode lasting for ages and I was convinced it arrived after I'd treated myself (and kids) with nit treatment!  But now I'm pretty sure it's hormonal and it never hangs around as long. X

Thank you fellow Scot  ;)

I am hoping to get someone good on Thursday and I will defo ask about this,

Thank you for the reassurance, I think because I have sailed through pretty much with the HRT so far...well as much as any one can, I am just like what the hell is this???

I have also noticed that my headaches are creaping back in too, just like before the HRT x

Dorothy Gale

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2024, 08:23:09 PM »

Yes, lots of weird scalp sensations that ebb and flow. Sometimes burning, sometimes really really itchy, sometimes tingly, sometimes sore and sensitive....

I only use shampoo with no SLS, fragrance etc and have organic highlights...

I've definitely noticed my scalp is really affected...aswell as hair loss/thinning...

But....it comes and goes and I just add it to the list! It's not the worst menopause symptom I have, so I just try to let it be.....and know it will pass......uncomfortable as it is.

Huge hugs x

DottyD68

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2024, 09:09:12 PM »

Hi Carolissosmiley,

Just to reassure you I have had both sore sensations on my scalp (like it has been brushed too hard and rigourously (sp?) and a crazily itchy scalp during "this journey". When it happens it freaks me out for a bit but I remind myself it's happened before and disappeared. It may last 2 or 3 days. For me it tends to happen with low oestrogen. Hope this helps.

Carolissosmiley

• First Flush
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2024, 09:19:41 PM »

Thank you everyone for your replies  :)

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2024, 10:58:22 PM »

:great: