Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Period pains and bleed after 13 months  (Read 893 times)

Cjblue

• First Flush
Period pains and bleed after 13 months
« on: March 17, 2024, 09:57:59 AM »

3 days ago I developed low back pain and had some spotting.  I have had continued pink discharge and period like pains since then.  I have been using Vagirux for 10 weeks now.  I use 3 a week (which I had to beg my GP for as 2 just wasn't cutting it) I also have Ovestin to use externally. Before I had these pains and bleed I thought that I had finally turned a corner and had my VA under control.  Should I be concerned?  I feel if I go back to my GP she will say I told you 3 was too much and to cut back down to 2.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Period pains and bleed after 13 months
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 10:14:32 AM »

Morning.  GPs are so worried about women over dosing on oestrogen .......... as well as they read the leaflet in the box which isn't correct for many of us!  We can use vaginal atrophy treatment as often as is required. 

Is it a period or a 'show' of pink ?  What have your periods been doing in the last 6 months? 

I would put 'ovestin' internally and around the labia for 5 nights and not use the 'vagirux'.  It's a bit Trial and Error ! 

Cjblue

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 10:36:43 AM »

Morning CLKD. It's a bit of spotting and a pale pinky discharge.  I haven't had a period for 13 months, but currently have the same lower back pain that I used to get with a period.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 12:57:03 PM »

Any bleed or show should be discussed with a GP so that a womb scan can be arranged.  mayB make an appt with a Nurse Practitioner or ask if there is a GP au fait with HRT prescriptions.  At 13 months without a period U would be classified as into menopause, however Nature may throw in a curved ball  ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2024, 05:00:36 PM »

Hi Cjblue

I agree with CLKD that any bleeding or spotting once you've reached menopause ie 12 months or more since the last natural period, should be investigated by the doc - even if you think it feels like a period. Some women do have a late ovulation even after this time period has elapsed but it is set conservatively at 12 month so as not to miss any woman for whom the bleed is abnormal and could indicate that something is amiss.

As you have been using vaginal oestrogen for 10 weeks, your tissues should now have thickened such that there should be no spotting due to the trauma from insertion of the applicator - bruising the fragile vaginal tissues.

You may well be sent for a scan under the 2-week rule - and if so - don't worry - it will just be to rule out abnornal causes and reassure you (most likely) that all is well.

Personally I would not stop using the Vagirux because the increase from 2 to 3 a week is hardly likely to cause bleeding or spotting at this stage, I wouldn't have thought.

Hurdity x