Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan not bringing on a bleed  (Read 938 times)

boomerang

Utrogestan not bringing on a bleed
« on: March 17, 2024, 08:02:01 AM »

Hello all 👋🏻
Quick question re Utrogestan.
I’m 2 months in to HRT, 2 pumps Oestrogel and 200mg Utro 12 days a month.
42 , perimenopause with regular periods.

Last month utro didn’t bring on a bleed and it started 2 weeks later - I’m assuming my natural cycle is still controlling it.
This month it’s 2 weeks since I stopped utro and no sign of period.

I’m guessing my natural progesterone levels are still fairly “normal” and I feel the utro is messing with my cycle as I get side effects of the utro for half the month and then pms symptoms the other half 😩 which is cancelling out the benefits of the Oestrogel for me!

I’m due to start utro again in 3 days but I’m considering waiting until I start to bleed then start utro 14 days after that. My thinking is that the utro progesterone will be in my cycle at the “right” time … ??

Any suggestions or similar experience??

Thank you

Hurdity

Re: Utrogestan not bringing on a bleed
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 08:35:14 PM »

Hi boomerang - if your periods are regular I am wondering why you are taking HRT in this way - presumably you have started getting hormonal fluctuations heralding the imminent start of peri-menopause proper ( when your natural periods become irregular), and the oestrogen is helping to cushion the blow?

Perhpas if your bleed is delayed you have in fact started peri-menopause proper and as you say the Utro is not bringing on the bleed, and your own delayed cycle is overriding the HRT?

One alternative as you are still young and periods regular is to take one of the contraceptive pills designed for menopause ie QLAIRA  or ZOELY. as these contain estradiol, the same oestrogen as in oestrogel and bio-identical with our own. This would mean you have a regular monthly bleed. The progestogen in QLAIRA is dienogest which I understand is one of the latest types of progestogen and apparently well tolerated. This is taken for 22 days but the product is formulated so that your cycle is suppressed (no ovulation) and the dramatic hormonal fluctuations are eliminated. May take a few cycles to settle. Just a thought?

On your current regime, it's tricky if your periods are becoming irregular - but you could try your suggestion, say for one cycle and see what happens?

Hurdity x

boomerang

Re: Utrogestan not bringing on a bleed
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 09:21:11 AM »

Thank you Hurdity for your reply.
I seem to lucky to have a knowledgeable and supportive gp who prescribed this regime for my multiple peri symptoms and given my historical low amh. She did suggest the COC initially due to my age but I was very reluctant to take the pill as it has affected me negatively mood wise in the past and given a lot of my meno symptoms were mood related it wasn’t something I was keen to try!
My periods are regular (23-30 days) but inconsistent if that makes sense. My thought is if I’m having one period a month then tying it in with my utro makes sense? Otherwise I kind of feel I’m in progesterone overload! And nothings working in sync?

It’s such a minefield 🤯 I have a follow up appt due soon anyway so will discuss with her and get her suggestions too.
X