Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Nothing working...anyone else in the same boat?  (Read 767 times)

IluvBrum

• First Flush
Nothing working...anyone else in the same boat?
« on: March 15, 2024, 05:37:57 PM »

I am peri and have tried Oestrogel and patches separately (Estradot & Evorel) to alleviate my night sweats which I have been experiencing for over 2 years now. I have given each of these remedies a good 4 to 6 months trial with an increase in dose 2 /3 months later. All have made no difference to my symptons. I also had a blood test and this showed no issues either. I am currently 5 weeks in on a daily dose of sage tablets having read the glowing reviews of how effective they are. So far, no difference to my sweats at all, if anything maybe slightly worse!

I am ok during the day but I just want a decent night of uninterrupted sleep. I was a very good sleeper before all this and would very much like to return to how I was.

Anyone else in this situation? Not sure what to try next..... :(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Nothing working...anyone else in the same boat?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 07:17:01 PM »

There are a few anti-depressant medications which may relieve hot flushes.

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 09:35:16 PM »

It sounds like you are not absorbing HRT well.  What were your oestrogen levels in the blood test you mentioned?  What type of progesterone did you use with the Oestrogel and patches?  That could make a difference.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2024, 10:24:09 PM »

Acupuncture helps with flushes/sweats.

Jules

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2024, 11:45:18 PM »

I know someone who consulted a Chinese medicine surgery. He gave her teas, they really helped but expensive

IluvBrum

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2024, 06:51:04 AM »

Thank you for all the replies.

The blood test did not test specifically for hormone levels, it was a general full blood count which included a thyroid check.

I was taking the Utrogestan 2 x 100 a day for 12 days a month.

The acupuncture sounds interesting.....I might look into that!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2024, 09:24:27 AM »

However: Chinese medicine isn't regulated nor tested to the extent of UK prescription meds.

As Mary G suggests, U may need a different regime if you aren't absorbing.  MayB let us know the current regime prescribed?

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2024, 11:05:19 AM »

Oestrogen should control them. What dose were you on? I also think you're not absorbing it well. You can get a private test done if your gp won't check your levels. Do you have other uncontrolled meno symptoms?

IluvBrum

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2024, 02:24:46 PM »

I started on 2 pumps then went up to 4. Zero change in symptoms. Tried 50 patch then up to 75. The increase gave me headaches which I don't suffer from. Both brands the same.

Gave up and now on sage tabs, one a day on week 5. No change but will persevere for another 2 months based on reviews.

From what I understand, blood tests are not reliable because of fluctuating hormone levels. I'm sure I would have been tested for this along with all the other stuff that they test for in a general health check blood test.

Is this not true then?

Jules

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2024, 04:52:22 PM »

However: Chinese medicine isn't regulated nor tested to the extent of UK prescription meds.

As Mary G suggests, U may need a different regime if you aren't absorbing.  MayB let us know the current regime prescribed?

We have a chinese medicine shop in our local shopping mall that is well attended. I think when you are desperate you will try all avenues. It really worked for her terrible hot flushes but she couldnt afford to keep buying them. When I was first diagnosed with ME I tried everything going. Acupuncture, herbalists, chinese medicine, anything because I was so ill. There's western medicine that although regulated isnt necessarily safe for everyone. Personally I wish I didnt have to take anything at all.