Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Pins and needles in hands  (Read 546 times)

eileenbeattie

Pins and needles in hands
« on: March 14, 2024, 08:47:31 AM »

Hi ladies

Does anyone else suffer with pins and needles in the hands especially at night in bed? I mentioned to my doctor but she didn't seem to concerned. I think alot of my symptoms could be anxiety related as it's through the roof just now 😔

Penguin

Re: Pins and needles in hands
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 09:06:33 AM »

Anxiety causes that for me, and in the feet sometimes too. Plus I get a feeling of intense heat in my body and face. It does pass quite quickly though.

What are you doing to help your anxiety?

Dorothy Gale

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 09:14:04 AM »

Penguin has pretty much said what I was going to say, but classic anxiety symptom for me when it's at its worst is tingling hands. That's how I know my anxiety/panic is really bad. Plus the heat in my body like Penguin said. Plus being in bed, when you're not distracted, your thoughts and anxiety will increase probably more so than in the day time. I experience that ALOT.

I try to remember that it will pass, its not harmful and is just anxiety. It always passes. I do all my coping techniques like breath work etc. and now on anxiety meds that are helping very much with dampening it down.

I'd say its pretty much going to be your anxiety. It's a common symptom. One I'm very familiar with but it will pass, ebb and flow and nothing to be alarmed about, although I know its not nice to feel. I try to not give it a reaction and say 'it's OK...its just my anxiety...I am safe...it will pass'.

Xxxx
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 09:19:02 AM by Dorothy Gale »

eileenbeattie

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 09:53:23 AM »

Thank you for getting back to.me ladies. My nurse has made an appointment for me to see a mental health nurse. I've never had anxiety as bad as this it's awful. I had a bit of weird vision on Saturday and a rash on my neck but nurse just put it down to the anxiety.

Dorothy Gale

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2024, 10:08:14 AM »

Really pleased you're seeing a MH nurse. My anxiety has never been as bad since I hit menopause. I struggled for ages and then I just thought enough is enough and I got help via meds (which I avoided for so long and wish I'd taken sooner) and support from MH team who have been amazing.

Anxiety manifests in sooooo many ways physically. Being a seasoned pro I can now differentiate my symptoms of being my anxiety and to know its not harmful to me, it just feels uncomfortable.

I use an app called Dare. It's very helpful for anxiety.

It can and will get better. I think we all know and understand how awful the anxiety gets for us and we can support each other.

Hang in there. You're definitely not alone x

fiftyplus

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2024, 10:42:36 AM »

How interesting - I often waken up in the morning with pins & needles in my hands - I give them a wiggle and it disappears - I never thought this could be anxiety related - I always thought it was more a carpel tunnel thing with me but could be anxiety now you mention it x

eileenbeattie

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2024, 10:55:43 AM »

Thank you so much for your kind comments ladies. It's nice to speak to other people on this forum about menopause as there isn't much help.out there. I will certainly hang in there and hopefully get better 🙏 😊

Minnie Mouse

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2024, 01:34:12 PM »

Yes, I get this in my hands and sometimes feet.
I do think anxiety plays out in lots of weird ways.
I now try to do 20mins plus exercise a day, and it helps (on several fronts)  ;)

getting_old

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2024, 03:41:29 PM »

I've had that in the mornings too, but assumed it was because I'd managed to lie on my hands and crush them into an awkward position. It sometimes happens when I'm reading in bed too, if my hands have been in the same position and gripping the book for a period.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2024, 06:10:20 PM »

Carpal Tunnel syndrome: common pregnancy which is relieved by delivery of the baby.  So it's probably hormonal.  Perhaps speak to a pharmacist about night splints which should give relief. 

Anxiety levels can rise during peri-menopause.  So appropriate anti-anxiety medication can help enormously, some require this along side HRT.  Which symptom would you like to ease first?

Keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  Let us know how you get on.