Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Articles about swallowing difficulties/dysphagia and hormones  (Read 705 times)

Jjumper

Articles about swallowing difficulties/dysphagia and hormones
« on: December 19, 2023, 07:15:31 PM »

Hello,
Just a quick post to share a couple of articles I've found recently which look at the connection between menopause/hormones and dysphagia/swallowing difficulties. I've suffered with awful swallowing problems for nearly five years now - I have been certain for a long time that my symptoms are connected to my hormones, despite 'experts' in the medical profession causing me to doubt myself. Anyway, I'm not going to go into my history here now...

I just wanted to share these articles for the other women out there who suffer with this problem. Literature such as this is such a relief to me to read as it just proves what I already know to be true for me and gives me hope for my journey with HRT.

The Silent Struggles: a comprehensive review of hormonal effects on swallowing difficulty in ageing women
https://www.gavinpublishers.com/article/view/the-silent-struggles-a-comprehensive-review-of-hormonal-effects-on-swallowing-difficulty-in-aging-women

The Relationship Between Menopause and Dysphagia: a scoping review
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9811845/#:~:text=These%20findings%20clearly%20highlight%20relationships,for%20dysphagia%20than%20premenopausal%20women.

I hope the links work!

KittyKats

Re: Articles about swallowing difficulties/dysphagia and hormones
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 12:00:19 PM »

I also have swallowing difficulties that started in peri and now are intolerable. The first consultant said it was xerostomia caused by menopause, so basically a dry mouth, but this was a telephone consultation. Things got so bad that a few months ago I was sent to another ENT and he has diagnosed Cricopharyngeal Dysfunction. He said it's caused by high noradrenaline and my existing dysautonomia. I still believe it's connected to menopause though and the high sympathetic stress. My dysautonomia started as soon as menopause did!

LisaCM74

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 10:55:59 AM »

Hi

I have the very same issue and I've had it for about 6 or 7 years. It's never been investigated but I was told it was related to me having severe anxiety.

I do believe it is hormone related. Sometimes it isn't too bad and others it is awful.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 11:31:42 AM »

Interesting, tnx.   As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax .........

My maternal Aunt complained of dry mouth, she was late 70s.  As she had mental health issues she was fobbed off.  I sourced appropriate 'sweeties' to send to her which helped.   Can't remember the name, of course  ::)