Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Menopause is not a disease??  (Read 1467 times)

sheila99

Re: Menopause is not a disease??
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2024, 10:45:03 PM »

So you don't remember anything from the sex ed lessons??  ;) My abiding memory is the biology teacher's face turning from her normal pale complexion to bright red. Knowing how many more possible symptoms there are would have been very useful, I'd have worked it out long before I did.

Minusminnie

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2024, 07:53:19 AM »

I can remember the biology teacher, it being part of reproduction and her embarrassment. It didn’t open up any further conversation with my parents/mum about anything either.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 07:55:19 AM by Minusminnie »

Jules

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2024, 02:41:31 PM »

So you don't remember anything from the sex ed lessons??  ;) My abiding memory is the biology teacher's face turning from her normal pale complexion to bright red. Knowing how many more possible symptoms there are would have been very useful, I'd have worked it out long before I did.
I didn't have any.  The difference is that puberty and sex is more relevant at that age. Menopause isn't. It's like teaching them about pensions. They'd glaze over

sheila99

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2024, 03:36:57 PM »

I didn't have any.  The difference is that puberty and sex is more relevant at that age. Menopause isn't. It's like teaching them about pensions. They'd glaze over
Sex and reproduction weren't relevant to me then either. I disagree though. It isn't about knowing everything, it's about knowing enough to make the connection when the time comes. And more usedul to most people than quadratic equations. I would have listened, but then I'd have listened to financial and pension advice too.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2024, 04:00:01 PM »

I'm with Jules - glazed over about covers it.  I was aware of The Change from Mum, loss of periods and hot flushes  ::)

It might be that GPs should call in women from age 35 - the NHS offers various examinations etc. at certain ages so adding this important subject as a 'call in' service would help - both medics, Nurse Practitioners and women.  Our Surgery still doesn't have any menopause information on show!  >:(

getting_old

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2024, 08:20:10 PM »

I seem to recall the teacher mumbling something whilst extremely red-faced, along with half the class trying to ignore what she was saying and the other half giggling or making dodgy remarks. Not sure anyone actually learnt anything, and if they'd mentioned menopause I think it would have been similar reactions.

getting_old

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2024, 08:24:19 PM »

Sex and reproduction weren't relevant to me then either. I disagree though. It isn't about knowing everything, it's about knowing enough to make the connection when the time comes. And more usedul to most people than quadratic equations. I would have listened, but then I'd have listened to financial and pension advice too.

We had one lesson on sex etc. and that was it. The school assumed it was the parents responsibility, but my parents never even broached the subject. These days I think people are more open and kids learn about it from both parents and schools, and it's the same with menopause.

sheila99

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2024, 11:26:15 AM »

There are many, many posts on this forum from people saying they were clueless and wished they'd known more before they were hit with all the symptoms. And yet on this thread most of you seem to think we should keep future generations in the dark too. Sorry, I just can't understand this attitude.
  School is the only time you have a captive audience. You can't rely on parents, some won't know and others won't talk about it.

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2024, 01:31:35 PM »

Certainly parents in my peer groups wouldn't talk so I would ask Mum and take the advice back to the Class  ;D.  Periods were enough to deal with at the time, plus issues in the house. 

When to inform ladies is a difficult decision.  Hence my suggestion that GPs/Nurse Practitioners should offer appropriate-age discussion.  But which age  :-\.

More info in GP surgeries is essential, which reminds me!

getting_old

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2024, 04:11:32 PM »

There are many, many posts on this forum from people saying they were clueless and wished they'd known more before they were hit with all the symptoms. And yet on this thread most of you seem to think we should keep future generations in the dark too. Sorry, I just can't understand this attitude.
  School is the only time you have a captive audience. You can't rely on parents, some won't know and others won't talk about it.

I definitely think that it's important to educate people, but the issue is that a lot of kids aren't going to be interested if it's taught in schools because it's not affecting them at that time. I think if there was generally more openess that would be the way to help. I do see more people in their 50s talking openly about what has happened to them and how they're affected.

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2024, 04:13:05 PM »

Menopause cafes may be a way to go, similar to Men Sheds etc. ;-)
Pages: 1 [2]